The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What happens when Sutter comes back?

vinnymack

13 minutes ago, Adamth said:

i just hope - Marky stays as our #1  instead of Miller  .... Miler needs to be sent down 4 conditioning

Miller needs to sit on the bench and play backup until his game gets back to form in October

People need to understand youth movement is not everything. Having half your forwards with next to 0 NHL experience does not work. It could lead to a situation where we are bottom feeders for a long, long time for the next 3-5 seasons. Eg. Edmonton, Buffalo, Calgary. The art of it is striking a balance. Hard workers like Burrows needs to stay for at least this season. With that being said, I think Virtanen should/needs to be sent down. 

1 hour ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Twins Hansen

Virt  Sutter Vrby

Burr Horvat Etem

Shinky Cracknell Dorsett

just for a game or two

Baertschi, Mccann in the press box? That would likely mean putting Burrows, Higgins, Prust and Vey through waivers. Higgins is going on waivers to make room for Etam. Either Vey or Cracknell will be exposed for Sutter's return. To bring Shinkaruk up for your two games another player would have to be put through waivers.

I honestly don't see Shink coming up unless there's some trades or injuries.

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

People need to understand youth movement is not everything. Having half your forwards with next to 0 NHL experience does not work. It could lead to a situation where we are bottom feeders for a long, long time for the next 3-5 seasons. Eg. Edmonton, Buffalo, Calgary. The art of it is striking a balance. Hard workers like Burrows needs to stay for at least this season. With that being said, I think Virtanen should/needs to be sent down. 

I have to agree with you. Youth isn't everything but it's better than having passengers on the team. Higgins was a passenger. They even rather have Cracknell over him. That right there says everything. 

The kids have been playing great. Jake was flying out there and is playing a good detailed game, Etem came as advertised a gritty skilled forward, Bo&Bae have stepped up their play considerably, McCann is playing beyond his years and we have a stud defensemen with a bright future ahead of him. Vey is even looking good. The Youth movement you speak of is here and it's moving ahead with or without you. 

But there needs to be veterans at every position on this team. This should be core guys, guys who also have contracts with us past this year. So we need to keep Hansen, Sedins, burrows, Hamhuis &/or Edler. Dorsette, Sutter, Sbisa, Tanev are all under recently signed contracts. Biega is making a strong case for himself and likely will be signed to a deal. Vrbatta + Prust+ Weber+Bartowski are the next passengers in line. Hamhuis and/or Edler the next two. And Burr + Miller after them. So we'll have seven spots to fill in the next one to two years. I'm sure BENNING will slot in different players of different age into the lineup and keep this rebuild moving forward with momentum. Pedan will be arriving shortly, then gaunce and Shinkaruk. Thrown in a couple of free agents in there  and another NHL ready prospect acquired via trade and we will be exactly at the half way point of the Transition. 

So as it stands we should have:

- 7 youth players already on this team ( Jake, Jared, Emerson, Bo,Sven, Ben, Linden)

- A total of 11 players considered as veterans and part of the last leadership group and also the future leadership group. ( Hansen, HENRIK, Daniel, Burrows, Hamhuis, Edler, Dorsette, Sutter, Sbisa, Tanev and Biega)

- 6 contracts off the book next year. These players are also passengers and if able to be moved for good return should be moved as soon as possible. ( Vrbatta + Prust+ Weber+Bartowski + Hamhuis +Edler)

- 3 prospects ready to make the jump Pedan, Gaunce, Shinkaruk.

-16 million in cap to spend on free agents

- As we move forward in the transition more of the older veterans of the last leadership group will be on their way out. HENRIK, Daniel, Hansen are untouchable as they are freakish athletes that are not showing signs of slowing down with age. Burrows, Hamhuis and Edler are the next group of expendable assets from the last core. ( although I would argue for keeping one of Edler or Hamhuis at all times during rebuild)

- once only the Sedins and Hansen are remaining from the old core is the rebuild near its completion.

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

The problem with those teams is their 1st line and top pairing had 0 NHL experience.  We still have the Sedins logging 20 min/g and Sutter who can too, plus Edler and Tanev logging 22+ min/g.  Horvat will be starting his 3rd year in the NHL next season.

Unlike those teams, our youth started playing 8-12 minutes per game and are slowing increasing.  Edmonton gave Hall, RNH, Eberle 20min/games immediately.

When the Sedins leave, all this youth will have 100 nhl games under their belt.

No one has mentioned sending Jake to junior. It is an option, he has not been on the roster for his 40 games yet

We are in serious cap trouble, a quick check on General Fanager it says our cap space is  $107K!!!

This is with Sutter's LTIR removing $3.1M off the books, obviously when he returns it will be added.

We need to clear $3M to get Sutter back

Higgins on waivers clears $950K, if he is claimed $2.5M

Vey getting sent back clears $1M

Jake sent to Junior clears  $895K

11 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

The problem with those teams is their 1st line and top pairing had 0 NHL experience.  We still have the Sedins logging 20 min/g and Sutter who can too, plus Edler and Tanev logging 22+ min/g.  Horvat will be starting his 3rd year in the NHL next season.

Unlike those teams, our youth started playing 8-12 minutes per game and are slowing increasing.  Edmonton gave Hall, RNH, Eberle 20min/games immediately.

When the Sedins leave, all this youth will have 100 nhl games under their belt.

This! Bo and Baer have got it going, Jake looks great and Etem looks like a very good fit. I see no need to be concerned.

I think it's looking like Prust, who beyond Higgins will also be moved. Vey has played well enough to earn back his spot, and he's approaching waiver eligibility again. He's been strong offensively, has good numbers and has been one of our better face-off men as of recent. 

I see this happening when Sutter returns:

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Etem - Vey - Burrows
Dorsett - McCann - Virtanen
(Cracknell)

And when Hansen returns (Vrbata dealt):

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Burrows
Etem - Sutter - Virtanen
Dorsett - McCann - Vey
(Cracknell)

Trade Burrows and Vrbata when Sutter and Hansen come back. Waive Weber when Hamhuis and Sbisa come back. Send down Pedan to play top pairing minutes in Utica.

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter
Baerstchi - Horvat - Virtanen
Etem - Sutter - Hansen
Prust - McCann - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Sbisa 
Biega - Hamhuis

extras: Vey Cracknell and Bartowski

bye bye old clubhouse atmosphere 

our compete level has taken a jump..

prust was looking slow (from his injury i wonder?)

vey might not make it thru waivers again..unless vets are traded he should be sent back to Ute to protect him 

This old train keeps chugging along.

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Burrows - Sutter - Etem
Prust - McCann - Dorsett

That's a playoff worthy lineup right there! 

If they can stay healthy-ish down the stretch, who knows, maybe we can do some damage in the post season.

1 hour ago, 87Crosby said:

Trade Burrows and Vrbata when Sutter and Hansen come back. Waive Weber when Hamhuis and Sbisa come back. Send down Pedan to play top pairing minutes in Utica.

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter
Etem - Sutter - Hansen
Prust - McCann - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Sbisa 
Biega - Hamhuis

extras: Vey Cracknell and Bartowski

You're doubleshifting Sutter?

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen  (go with what has clicked)

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen (ditto with Sven/Bo)

Etem - Sutter - Burrows (great shutdown line with scoring potential)

Prust - McCann - Dorsett (dangerous energy line)

7 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Dude, let's be honest here.  You REALLY don't think Willie Desjardins, WILLIE DESJARDINS isn't going to find a way and put Linden Vey somewhere in that lineup?

I hope to hell he does. Vey has been playing great over the last few games. In fact there seems to be a correlation with Vey coming back into the team and our overall play improving. I wouldn't quite go that far but the guy is worth his spot.

Unfortunately I think he is the only one going to Utica although he is also playing better than Cracknell just now so maybe we can send him down instead.

Archived