The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What happens when Sutter comes back?

vinnymack

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

He's right at that threshold - having played 9 games and been up just under a month - where they can re-assign him to Utica without him having to clear waivers (10 games or a month and he has to clear again).

It's unfortunate that Sutter is a question mark for another week or two, because it would be opportune to be able to send him back at this point without having to clear.  I'd probably lean that way and look at bringing up another guy from Utica for a stint and some incentive (despite the 'Vey/Etem' thing).

Vey's been playing decent hockey though- and has pretty solid underlying numbers.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=29&f1=2015_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Strong possession numbers, good quality of competition, and +10.5% ozone finishes...

But still, I think I'd take advantage of the fact they can assign him now without risk and have him available should they decide to move another guy or run into more injuries.  If they wait for Sutter and Hansen to return, he likely winds up in limbo as the odd man out on edge of the roster, when they could take advantage of one of the other guy's waiver ineligibility - and I personally like Cracknell's game as much or more than Vey's in the meantime...

I liked Cracknell until he stopped playing with his line mates. 

The thing I like about Vey is he is a "facilitator" By that I mean he seems to play in those about him. He's really smart, he seems to know the right thing to do in most situations, reads the game well and he seems stronger on the puck this season. Add to that he has made a good start to achieving chemistry with Etem.

i would hate to lose a player like that to waivers so unless some other way is found to keep him up then I hope he goes back before he becomes waiver eligible.

7 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Dude, let's be honest here.  You REALLY don't think Willie Desjardins, WILLIE DESJARDINS isn't going to find a way and put Linden Vey somewhere in that lineup?

he'll do what's best for the team...not what cdc thinks is best but what he thinks will give the team, the best chance to win...

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Virtanen, Etem, McCann, Sutter, Baertschi, Bo.

That's wave after wave of fresh legs that offer combinations of speed and size, wicked dangles & serious snipes among. Also bringing some edge. All somewhat unheralded player who are still a match up problem for most teams they play against!

Many would scoff at this suggestion; but reminds me a little of the forward group  which Edmonton went to the finals with in 2006? Hemsky, Stoll, Torres, Pisani, Dvorak, Horcoff...  That team also had unheralded talent, plenty O' speed & size and they got after it!

I scoffed...

There was this guy named "Pronger"... he left, and Edmonton hasn't been relevant since. 

8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Baerstchi - Horvat - Virtanen
Burrows - Sutter - Etem
Prust - McCann - Dorsett

I'd actually like:

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen
Baer, Horvat, Sutter
Burrows, McCann, Etem
Prust, Cracknell, Dorsett

Virtanen/Kenins/Grenier

Vrbata moved.

Horvat and Sutter can share face off duties swapping in on their good sides and cheating a bit to delay icings (getting waived) and/or win draws.

Edit:

When Etem sits, Virtanen can swap in to his spot. When McCann sits, Sutter takes his spot and Virtanen (or Burrows) swaps in on the 2nd (if Burr, then you have a Etem, Sutter, Virtanen 3rd line).

1 hour ago, yes we can nucks said:

You're doubleshifting Sutter?

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen  (go with what has clicked)

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen (ditto with Sven/Bo)

Etem - Sutter - Burrows (great shutdown line with scoring potential)

Prust - McCann - Dorsett (dangerous energy line)

I think that was supposed to be Vey.

Sutter plays 3c or 1rw, it depends to the other team strengths. McCann and Vey can play center, on the wing and sit from time to time, but keep'em with the club.

Btw, Sutter and Etem may be the next tandem behind the twins and bo and bart..

Canucks need to make a decision After thursdays game. 2 options I see are:

Option 1- send vey down to Utica before he has to be place on waives, and have Henrik, Bo, McCann, Cracknell as your 4C. We ran this way for a while so to do it for a week or two until Sutter comes back is not big deal in my opinion.

Option 2-Keep Vey until Sutter is back, spot McCann and Cracknell in and out of the lineup, allow Vey to play some more games with Etem and see how they play for a period of time. Then when Sutter returns you waive one of Vey or Cracknell. I would chose Cracknell, Vey has more upside than Cracknell and obviously we gave a 2nd round pick for him so best to try and give him the rest of this year to prove he deserves to be in the NHL. Cracknell is more likely to clear waivers 

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

he'll do what's best for the team...not what cdc thinks is best but what he thinks will give the team, the best chance to win...

Willie has also demonstrated tough love on Linden Vey by sending him to the minors. 

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

He's right at that threshold - having played 9 games and been up just under a month - where they can re-assign him to Utica without him having to clear waivers (10 games or a month and he has to clear again).

It's unfortunate that Sutter is a question mark for another week or two, because it would be opportune to be able to send him back at this point without having to clear.  I'd probably lean that way and look at bringing up another guy from Utica for a stint and some incentive (despite the 'Vey/Etem' thing).

Vey's been playing decent hockey though- and has pretty solid underlying numbers.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=29&f1=2015_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Strong possession numbers, good quality of competition, and +10.5% ozone finishes...

But still, I think I'd take advantage of the fact they can assign him now without risk and have him available should they decide to move another guy or run into more injuries.  If they wait for Sutter and Hansen to return, he likely winds up in limbo as the odd man out on edge of the roster, when they could take advantage of one of the other guy's waiver ineligibility - and I personally like Cracknell's game as much or more than Vey's in the meantime...

I agree that I would prefer to see Vey sent down now, before he would need to clear waivers. They could go with Henrik, Bo, McCann and Cracknell until Sutter is ready, which should be soon.

But my crystal ball tells me that they will keep Vey for a while -- until they are sure Sutter is ready to play. They might think he would clear waivers. Or they might just think they want to maximize the chances of getting some extra points now even if that means losing Vey down the road. (However, I admit that my crystal ball is only about as consistent as Zack Kassian's defence.)

We use him at center. We need more center depth, speed and defence.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Basertschi Horvat Vrbata

Etem Sutter Virtanen

Prust McCann Dorsett

All of a sudden, we aren't so slow. That third line is a real third line that can play fast, physical, and most importantly, defend against other fast lines. They will help open up our top 6, mainly our second line so they aren't always taking the hardest assignments. That's a good team if you ask me. We need Sutter back asap.

Vrbata will be moves by the deadline, or at least should. I'm hoping by that time, either Etem or Virtanen can show enough confidence in their ability to play top 6. I think it's important to keep our center depth with Henrik, Horvat, and Sutter all in the top 9. McCann will likely ride the rest of the year out on the fourth line and get moved up in case of injury.

Archived