The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What happens when Sutter comes back?

vinnymack

think we'd need to move 1 person Sbisa and Sutter back would be 24-man roster. I'd like to trade Prust or Vrbata and continue the cycle of Cracknell // Virtanen // McCann in the lineup while having Vey as a current fixture as he continues to build chemistry with Etem and is looking better as of late.

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

I scoffed...

There was this guy named "Pronger"... he left, and Edmonton hasn't been relevant since. 

Scoff as you will.  The comment was the "forward group" Edmonton went to the finals with.

As for Pronger, yeah no doubt. And a 40 year old goalie. Captain Canada was there too... Re Prongers impact? You will find few posters who have advocated for recruiting / developing / acquiring impact defenseman here on CDC more than myself.

Doesn't change the relevance to the forward group.

5 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

No one has mentioned sending Jake to junior. It is an option, he has not been on the roster for his 40 games yet

We are in serious cap trouble, a quick check on General Fanager it says our cap space is  $107K!!!

This is with Sutter's LTIR removing $3.1M off the books, obviously when he returns it will be added.

We need to clear $3M to get Sutter back

Higgins on waivers clears $950K, if he is claimed $2.5M

Vey getting sent back clears $1M

Jake sent to Junior clears  $895K

General Fanager only shows a snapshot of today and doesn't take into account that cap space has been accrued until now or past player movement.  Cap spaced banked can be used - it's only prospective cap space that can't.

Cap compliance is calculated daily as well as cap space banked.  It's pro-rata of the maximum cap less pro-rata of all players that were on the roster at some point or another.  The difficulty to get a clear picture of available cap space is that you need to know exactly how many days each player (incl call-ups) was on the roster up to calculation date but also to know how they accounted for LTIR (because it allows some flexibility to exceed the cap). 

Btw it's been confirmed that Virtanen and McCann are staying with the team.

So many cheeky comments, I think its a legit question to ask. At some point on this 6 game road trip we are going to have Sbisa, Hansen and Sutter all return.

The only player that can clear waivers and thats with only playing 1 more game and then being sent down is Vey. We need to create a minimum of 2 roster spots for Hansen and Sutter. Sbisa can slot in and weber/Bart/Biega can become #7 d man.

We already have cracknell and McCann swapping out as healthy scratches so add Hansen and Sutter we need to make some moves up front. I dont think McCann or virtanen go to junior so that leaves trades or waivers. I dont think we can keep everyone once healthy as we would have too many players on the roster

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I liked Cracknell until he stopped playing with his line mates. 

The thing I like about Vey is he is a "facilitator" By that I mean he seems to play in those about him. He's really smart, he seems to know the right thing to do in most situations, reads the game well and he seems stronger on the puck this season. Add to that he has made a good start to achieving chemistry with Etem.

i would hate to lose a player like that to waivers so unless some other way is found to keep him up then I hope he goes back before he becomes waiver eligible.

My impression is that Prust has more difficulty seeing his linemates than Cracknell does - I've been more impressed by Cracknell than I've expected to be.

I agree regarding Vey - his hockey intelligence could earn him a permanent role if/once his body catches up (and that is the most important muscle after all) - and he also works hard every shift, to go with playing a responsible game, so it's not hard to imagine him adding a bit more speed and strength and becoming a solid NHLer.

The advantage of sending him down now would be the ability to recall him any time - they could do that in a week if necessary - but if they keep him up, he's not only stuck here, but probably won't get the kind of minutes over the rest of the season that he'd get in Utica.  Not an easy decision - I'd be surprised if they assign him, but I'd probably go that route if it were me.  Either way it's hard to argue, because his improvement has put him right at that point of being a viable roster option again.

25 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Scoff as you will.  The comment was the "forward group" Edmonton went to the finals with.

As for Pronger, yeah no doubt. And a 40 year old goalie. Captain Canada was there too... Re Prongers impact? You will find few posters who have advocated for recruiting / developing / acquiring impact defenseman here on CDC more than myself.

Doesn't change the relevance to the forward group.

Maybe it's just me, but outside of that one Cindarella run, those guys weren't all that relevant. Forgive me for hoping that Horvat, Baertschi, and Virtanen have a slightly better career trajectory than Horcoff, Pisani, and Torres.

Not that Horcoff and Torres weren't decent players. Just that they are just spare parts on a really good team.

If I do not want to lose Vey, I'd sent him down now then worry about other players when time comes.   We can always call Vey up anytime later in the season.  Vey is all right if he is the supporting cast, but is not a mainstay on this team.  We have Cracknell doing a great job on the 4th line.   Utica needs some players back if they are going to make a playoffs.   As for defense, anytime Hamhuis is back, Pedan would be sent down unless he overtakes Weber on the depth chart.   I am hoping that Pedan would be able to play a few more games on this road trip.   If he is not given a chance, then we'd expect Weber to act as a 7th defenseman when Sbisa is coming back.

Pedan has been assigned.

Sbisa is expected back - and to play - on the roadtrip.  Great news, they could use him.

My guess would be that Biega sticks and Weber slips to the 7 spot.\

Biega has been seeing 5 more minutes of ice a night than Weber - I think he's leapfrogged him on the depth chart.

50 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Maybe it's just me, but outside of that one Cindarella run, those guys weren't all that relevant. Forgive me for hoping that Horvat, Baertschi, and Virtanen have a slightly better career trajectory than Horcoff, Pisani, and Torres.

Not that Horcoff and Torres weren't decent players. Just that they are just spare parts on a really good team.

Horvat, Baertschi, Virtanen

or

Horcoff, Pisani, Torres

HBV ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

23 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Pedan has been assigned.

Sbisa is expected back - and to play - on the roadtrip.  Great news, they could use him.

Biega has been seeing 5 more minutes of ice a night than Weber - I think he's leapfrogged him on the depth chart.

Hey, I agree! Do you think once Sbisa is back we look at moving one of Weber/Bartkowski? We have Pedan as a call up if need be, plus Hamhuis returning hopefully before the deadline, with no guarantee he would waive his ntc

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

He's right at that threshold - having played 9 games and been up just under a month - where they can re-assign him to Utica without him having to clear waivers (10 games or a month and he has to clear again).

It's unfortunate that Sutter is a question mark for another week or two, because it would be opportune to be able to send him back at this point without having to clear.  I'd probably lean that way and look at bringing up another guy from Utica for a stint and some incentive (despite the 'Vey/Etem' thing).

Vey's been playing decent hockey though- and has pretty solid underlying numbers.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=29&f1=2015_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Strong possession numbers, good quality of competition, and +10.5% ozone finishes...

But still, I think I'd take advantage of the fact they can assign him now without risk and have him available should they decide to move another guy or run into more injuries.  If they wait for Sutter and Hansen to return, he likely winds up in limbo as the odd man out on edge of the roster, when they could take advantage of one of the other guy's waiver ineligibility - and I personally like Cracknell's game as much or more than Vey's in the meantime...

With the pending roster logjam, I'd be surprised if they didn't move Vey back down. I know he's done well and people want to try and draw some favouritism to the Desjardins connection, but it makes the most sense of any possible move. Benning's already said they want to keep Virtanen up and he's played well these past two games, and I doubt they drop McCann, so that doesn't leave anyone else waiver exempt that we could move.

If Sutter and Hansen aren't ready yet (Sbisa is back basically now that Pedan got sent down) then we could still bring up another player to fill the forward gap and not have to get stuck with putting Vey through waivers again. They'd have to be pretty comfortable thinking he'd clear, or have another deal in the works to move someone else, to give him another game.

Gaunce could be due for another shot and has been playing a few games at center if we really needed the cover, or if you want the Medicine Hat connection we could look at Shinkaruk until Sutter's back as well. Asset management points to not having to put Vey on waivers again but we'll see what happens.

1 minute ago, Yotes said:

Hey, I agree! Do you think once Sbisa is back we look at moving one of Weber/Bartkowski? We have Pedan as a call up if need be, plus Hamhuis returning hopefully before the deadline, with no guarantee he would waive his ntc

I don't think we move any defensemen unless there's an upgrade coming back.

I won't be surprised however if Vrbata and/or Prust are flipped. 

Prust had a good first month here, but he's been a disappointment since.

Vrbata has been a bit cold, but has played some good hockey despite a short dip in production.  I don't think we can separate Baertschi's improvement from his opportunity to play with Vrbata.  Vrbata is a good player for Baertschi to model his game without the puck after - and imo we've seen a marked improvement.

Vrbata is a great option to have though.  He could continue to provide that veteran presence and right handed sniper on the powerplay that is so complimentary to the Sedins, or he makes an excellent asset that a contender might use - could return a late 1st or be packaged for a decent young NHL ready player coming back. 

Imo though, the Etem deal is epic and has fairly deep positive implications for the team and it's flexibility.

I really wanted (and have proposed) to see the team acquire a big R winger with speed that can get in on the forecheck and create space - something that has been a bit of a missing element on the Baertschi Bo Vrby line - leaving Bo with a lot of heavy lifting, particularly in the absence of Sutter.  If Etem can prove that he's capable of filling those minutes, the team has a great opportunity to add another asset using the value of their veterans.  Horvat's surge recently however in spite of all the heavy lifting - extremely promising to say the least.

is there a loop of hole of sending Vey down for a game and then calling him back up and getting another 10 game 30 days on the roster? We have Cracknell as a spare C to fill in for that game.

Vey had just over 16 min last night, either thats showcasing him, or trust in the coach but thats a lot of ice time to give a guy who you are going to send back to Utica

4 minutes ago, Yotes said:

is there a loop of hole of sending Vey down for a game and then calling him back up and getting another 10 game 30 days on the roster? We have Cracknell as a spare C to fill in for that game.

Vey had just over 16 min last night, either thats showcasing him, or trust in the coach but thats a lot of ice time to give a guy who you are going to send back to Utica

10 games total for the year if I recall. Which means we could send him back down but if we recall him he's basically here again for the rest of the year (or we risk losing him if we re-waive).

I think he should be sent down before that 10 game mark. We have McCann and Cracknell to cover until Sutter is back and if we did need a C, we can always call up Friesen or perhaps Gaunce for a game or two until then.

It would seem prudent...we'll see what management thinks soon enough.

46 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Pedan has been assigned.

I don't think they're that worried about Weber going through waivers at this point, but I would think they'll looks to get something back for him as well if they can. Biega definitely stays - especially since he's well past the 10 games/30 days and would have to clear waivers himself and would be more of a risk to get claimed - and Sbisa could well go back to playing right side with Hutton.

6 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Its cumulative, so if he were called up twice and played 5 games in each then he'd reach the 10 game mark and have to clear waivers again. Same goes for the days on the roster. That'd reset the next time he clears waivers of course, but not until then.

One other promising thing about Vey - while he has the skillset and mental game to cut it imo - he still has the potential to add strength (and hopefully a stride).  He is 24 yrs old - a lot of folks are anxious to declare players a bust by that point of their career, but for most young men, they don't reach baseline levels of their adult strength until the age of 25 (some kids may not want to hear that lol).  Physically, he has that appearance of a somewhat late bloomer.

Archived