The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What happens when Sutter comes back?

vinnymack

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm a little worries that McCann will be sent back to junior.

It is possible. It would all depend how the coach determines his preference between

Vey, Cracknell and McCann as a 4th line C option.

Or if they chose to play Sutter on wing then we could put him with the twins, and drop hansen down with bo baer or vey etem

If it means that McCann plays between dorsett and prust, send him back.  He needs to compliment more capable players to be effective. I've really enjoyed watching McCann this far but unless they can get him off the 4th line there is really no place for him right now.

12 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

12 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm not advocating sending him down.  Otoh, I don't care much if he is nor not and don't think it's anything to worry about.

it isn't necessarily a bad thing if, having spent a half season in the NHLhe goes back and spends a little under half a season playing against guys he can win faceoffs against, get more time on the ice and do some scoring again.

He wouldn't likely be very happy about it.  I don't see that as a long-term issue.

People might suggest it would be a hit to his confidence, but in McCann's case I don't really see that as being an issue at all. 

He's had a 1/2 season in the NHL.  His scoring has fallen off, he needs work to become a better faceoff man, he needs to gain strength and his presence, imo, isn't making a big impact this season on the success of the Canucks.

I don't think it would make much difference to the success of the Canucks this year.  I also don't think it will make much difference, either way, to his development for future years and expect good things from him in the future either way.

13 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

McCann and Virtanen are staying, they just won't be playing every game.  At least not at this point but that could change as they progress.  Baertschi seems to have graduated from that status now and has cemented his spot on the roster.

McCann/Virtanen/Etem/Prust/Cracknell will be the ones cycling in and out of the lineup.

^^

Haven't we already burned a year off McCann's elc this year? Poor asset management yet again if we send him down at this point.

Regardless of how well Vey is playing, he has to be sent down before 10 games or you run the risk of exposing another player to waivers. The 30 day mark is the 17th and he has already played 9 games, so the fact that he hasn't been sent down already is puzzling.                                                   

If we were ever to get fully healthy, most likely a month or more away with Hamhuis, we still have 24 contracts. We're at 25 right now with Vey being the only player that can be sent down and Sbisa, Sutter and Hansen set to return.

6 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

^^

Haven't we already burned a year off McCann's elc this year? Poor asset management yet again if we send him down at this point.

Regardless of how well Vey is playing, he has to be sent down before 10 games or you run the risk of exposing another player to waivers. The 30 day mark is the 17th and he has already played 9 games, so the fact that he hasn't been sent down already is puzzling.                                                   

If we were ever to get fully healthy, most likely a month or more away with Hamhuis, we still have 24 contracts. We're at 25 right now with Vey being the only player that can be sent down and Sbisa, Sutter and Hansen set to return.

I don't see us sending McCann down. You are right, that is horrible asset management and we might as well have sent him down before the world juniors. 

I am also surprised Vey has not been sent down yet. I don't see him sticking with the team in a healthy lineup. Unless they want him to get picked up on waivers, since he is earning an NHL salary in the AHL. 

6 minutes ago, the harry said:

Vrby, Hammer,Weber moved for picks

Sedin-Sedin-Virtanan

Bae -Bo - Etem

McCann-Sutter-Grenier

Shinkaruk- Gaunce-Dorsett/Burrows

On 2016-01-13 at 0:57 PM, canuckledraggin said:

^^

There are three ways I can see in which sending McCann down earlier would have affected things from an asset management perspective.  Two of them are no longer relevant as his year has been burned off his elc and his years of service towards unrestricted free agency.

The remaining way it matters from an asset management perspective is that it frees up a roster spot without exposing someone to waivers.  That would hardly be "poor asset management."

As I stated in my earlier post, I'm not advocating that McCann be sent down.  I don't think he will be.  Otoh I don't think it would adversely affect his development or that it would have an impact on how the Canucks do this season.

Normally I'd expect Sutter to return as a center, splitting important defensive faceoffs with Horvat to take some of the load off him and allowing each to take important faceoffs on his good side.

With Henrik hurting and it apparently affecting his faceoff ability it may be better if Sutter plays RW on the top line and takes faceoffs instead of Henrik.  

Hansen is versatile enough that it's easy to find a place for him in the lineup when he returns.

In my opinion, after the deadline our forwards will look like this (when healthy)

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Burrows Sutter Etem

Cracknell McCann Dorsett

Vey/Kenins 

Vrbata and Prust traded for (I don't know) and I haven't the slightest clue what management's plan is with the D.

Miller and Marky split number 1 duties.

According to general fanager today we have $1.25M Cap space without the - $3.1M that is hidden in LTIR by Sutter

For Sutter to return, almost $2M cap must be cleared from the Cap, 

I am all in for waivering Weber($1.5M) and Bartkowski($1.75M) for a savings of $1.9M if not claimed, hopefully at least 1 gets claimed and bring Fedun($600K) and Pedan($792K) in for replacements

I cannot see how Fedun and Pedan can actually be worse than Weber and Bart

44 minutes ago, Canuckas said:

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Vey Sutter Etem

Burrows McCann Dorsett

Cracknell/Kenins/Grenier/Gaunce

Vrbata and Prust traded for picks and or prospects

I like your lines but I am slowly coming to the conclusion that Burr should be added to that trade list after a stream of less than impressive games culminating with a sad performance against the Canes. I see no reason why Gaunce would not take his place.

Gaunce is our secret ace in the hole judging by some of the goals he is scoring in Utica. He is also a big body and if we are going to rebuild we may as well get on with it.

In that light I would actually keep Prust. He is working his ass off out there and I really think he has now committed to this team, which I would not have said 10 games ago. I hate to say it but he is imo twice as effective as Burr (who I really like but he is a shadow of the player he was) who just can't seem to do anything right.

33 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I like your lines but I am slowly coming to the conclusion that Burr should be added to that trade list after a stream of less than impressive games culminating with a sad performance against the Canes. I see no reason why Gaunce would not take his place.

Gaunce is our secret ace in the hole judging by some of the goals he is scoring in Utica. He is also a big body and if we are going to rebuild we may as well get on with it.

In that light I would actually keep Prust. He is working his ass off out there and I really think he has now committed to this team, which I would not have said 10 games ago. I hate to say it but he is imo twice as effective as Burr (who I really like but he is a shadow of the player he was) who just can't seem to do anything right.

I kept Burr in the line up because I'm thinking with my heart instead of my head.

I do like the idea of Gaunce playing with the Canucks sooner rather than later on that 4th line.  His experience at center could force McCann to the wing.

McCann Gaunce Dorsett is a line I wouldn't mind down the stretch.  They could easily get 12 to 15 minutes a night.

Archived