The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Claim] Arizona Claims D Kevin Connauton off waivers from Columbus

29 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Connauton was another prospect who fell victim of when he was in the ahl he wasnt under control by us. Another Chicago wolves player, like Rodin.

He has offensive upside, probably will never be more than a bottom pair guy, but might be a Yannik Weber of the LHD variety, and could be on the 2nd unit PP.

Oldnews will love this comment, but I would not be opposed to putting in a claim, he has some size, allows us to move Pedan down, and realistically we should be waiving weber if nobody offers a late or conditional pick for him

Have you not watched Weber play this year??  We can barely handle having one Weber on the ice let alone two!

I must admit I'm a bit baffled by this move. He's not lighting the world on fire but I don't think he's played anywhere near badly enough to get waived. Either Torts hates him or the tank is well and truly on in Columbus. You know, so Columbus can draft Matthews then trade him in a couple of years.

39 minutes ago, goblix said:

haha Roy was horrible here, another case of Gillis trading a prospect and a pick for a vet that didn't work out...

Well that prospect has been waived twice and the pick is playing in the echl.

Meanwhile the other rentals at the dealine when for 1st round picks.

Roy had 6 points in 12 games...that's about the pace he was scoring at the year before the trade. Lol @ people that though he would be a point per game rental for a late 2nd and a waiver eligible prospect.

14 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Well that prospect has been waived twice and the pick is playing in the echl.

Meanwhile the other rentals at the dealine when for 1st round picks.

Roy had 6 points in 12 games...that's about the pace he was scoring at the year before the trade. Lol @ people that though he would be a point per game rental for a late 2nd and a waiver eligible prospect.

It's tough to judge a trade straight up on hindsight, I understand the reasoning of getting a vet for a cup run. I think at the time I figured Roy was too small and too old to be an actual factor and from what I recall that was the case. Overall who knows how well Connauton could do now on our roster and who knows on who we would've taken at that position... it's unlikely we would've chosen a goalie there IMO.

I think we can all agree that Roy didn't work out too well here anyways.

I'm not sure if Connauton is worth picking up. But I guess it wouldn't hurt either with our defense. 

We are getting Sbisa back on this upcoming road trip. Hammer is the only one that's going to be out a while. 

48 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Have you not watched Weber play this year??  We can barely handle having one Weber on the ice let alone two!

Weber would not be here, he would be waived or moved. Biega could be the #6 and spot Connauton in a couple games to see how he does.

I know he is a lhd, we do have 2 pending ufa lhd, Hammer and Bart. Im sure Benning will want to retain Bart, he did after all give the guy 1.75m when he was routinely a healthy scratch the year before. I wonder if Benning would consider retaining Hammer if he took a good pay cut. when Sbisa makes 3.6m tho be hard to think hammer taking much less unless he really doesnt want to leave BC.

13 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I personally like him much more then Sbisa and Bartkowski.  He has more toughness then both of those guys, he has a very good shot, and his skating is better is actually better then Sbisa's. 

I think Sbisa is gonna be here for a while. Bartkowski vs Connauton is interesting...

Bart costs over double the cap hit and is a ufa, does he deserve a raise?  He has speed but sometimes he moves faster than his hockey iq can see the game. He doesnt add the offensive punch that Connauton could. Is a more slender built player than him as well.

Connauton is an upcoming rfa, cheaper to resign, could be an additional 1m in cap space with retaining him over Bart. He could be a 6/7 option for us. Could be a 2nd unit PP option if and when weber is gone via deadline, waivers, or the summer.

I dont see there being a big difference between the two so the cost savings makes me say Connauton over Bart

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

U don't understand how waivers work...

Seems like every waiver thread someone wants to do this.

It's almost as annoying as those that think that a two way contract offers a green light to the farm of which it doesn't depending on waiver status.

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

Connauton was another prospect who fell victim of when he was in the ahl he wasnt under control by us. Another Chicago wolves player, like Rodin.

He has offensive upside, probably will never be more than a bottom pair guy, but might be a Yannik Weber of the LHD variety, and could be on the 2nd unit PP.

Oldnews will love this comment, but I would not be opposed to putting in a claim, he has some size, allows us to move Pedan down, and realistically we should be waiving weber if nobody offers a late or conditional pick for him

Pedan has been re-assigned which may mean Sbisa is coming back soon?

Archived