The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] C Hodgson and N Guenin

Visp

9 hours ago, AlphaHoneyBadger said:

It falls on Cody. He is a man and has been since draft day. You have to work hard and understand nothing is given to you, no matter how skilled you are. He could still likely contribute, but he needs a 180 on work ethic, attitude and entourage. 

Exactly. 

It's debatable to say the least that his career would have turned out better in Vancouver. For one he never would have gotten the opportunities that he did in Buffalo. He may never have developed much more than he did and he likely would never have received the contract that he did in Buffalo. The fact is that Buffalo paid him big money well before he proved that he could sustain his production.

So everything considered getting of Vancouver probably put more money into his bank account. He is still set for life despite having never overcome his weaknesses.

58 minutes ago, Toews said:

It's debatable to say the least that his career would have turned out better in Vancouver. For one he never would have gotten the opportunities that he did in Buffalo. He may never have developed much more than he did and he likely would never have received the contract that he did in Buffalo. The fact is that Buffalo paid him big money well before he proved that he could sustain his production.

So everything considered getting of Vancouver probably put more money into his bank account. He is still set for life despite having never overcome his weaknesses.

Your last sentence is quite an interesting thought.

This happens for very few people if ever.

14 hours ago, AlphaHoneyBadger said:

It falls on Cody. He is a man and has been since draft day. You have to work hard and understand nothing is given to you, no matter how skilled you are. He could still likely contribute, but he needs a 180 on work ethic, attitude and entourage. 

It sounds like he had the right attitude in Nashville.

At the end of the season he went to Sweden to work on his skating (GM Murray even mentioned it before they bought him out).  From Adam Vingan in The Tennessean:
http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2015/10/03/cody-hodgson-predators-roster-sabres-buyout-nhl/73079196/

After consulting with his agent, Hodgson traveled to Gothenburg, Sweden, to train during the offseason with two renowned coaches. Together, Andreas Larsson, a champion speed skater, and Peter Froberg, an expert in biomechanical movement, worked with Hodgson and other NHL players, putting them through rigorous on- and off-ice testing to discover their strengths and weaknesses.

"We located some issues that we focused on and our goal was to fire up body parts that had been shut down for some time, to reach full function in his body," Larsson said via email last week. "(The) main goal was of course to find a way to build him better as a hockey player in terms of (conditioning), power, speed and skating performance. ... I'm happy with his progress. He achieved some major results during this period. He left with better body function and he was way faster on the ice."

Originally planning to visit Sweden for three weeks, Hodgson extended his stay for three more.

"Cody was (concerned about) getting his body working in a proper way after some years of physical problems," Larsson said. "Cody came over with hungry eyes and was willing to work hard. And during the buyout period, we talked about it and I got a feeling that he was really happy to start all over in Nashville."

He then spent the rest of the summer in Nashville to work directly with their strength and conditioning coach.  By all reports he worked really hard to be game ready for the season.  He got himself hurt in pre-season and that might have caused him to never really be able to be ahead of the curve.  

I think his main issue is his lack of foot speed - it just doesn't work in a Laviolette system where it's all go go go at top flight.  They play an aggressive pressure system and if you can't join the rush and be quick to backtrack - it's a problem.  

9 hours ago, SedinMadness said:

under the right direction hodgson would benefit coming back to the canucks. and we would benefit having him. he got cocky with his new line mates in buffalo then reality set in. | say give him another chance..

That ship sailed in 2012. All our centers are better than him, who do you move to take him on?

23 minutes ago, ice orca said:

That ship sailed in 2012. All our centers are better than him, who do you move to take him on?

23 minutes ago, ice orca said:

I don't think Nashville could have handled CoHo any better than they did. They took the pressure off and tried to reset his career but it did not work well enough. NHL is not a perpetual rehab society. At some point results are demanded.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Kinda sad Edmonton didn't claim him honestly.

CoHo Kassian would have been a treat 

He'd have to go to a team who tends to slow down the play like LA to remotely have a chance. That's not Edmonton (though I agree it would have been funny!).

On 1/13/2016 at 9:10 AM, The Weasel said:

hahaha. This is what Hodgson and his dad get for being divas.

Well,...they did manage to finagle a very huge & unwarranted LTC out of Buffalo,...which translated into a lucrative pay-day with that early buy-out of his.

I thought he may drift-off into oblivion, claim back problems, &  collect insurance money or something. An all-around self-interested player,....were the thoughts that came to my mind as he was departing VanCity . He didn't seem to have the over-all integrity nor the sustained team-work ambitions,...of players like say ,...our Sedins...(who would have been the best of mentors for him - yet he was somehow 'unhappy' playing behind them & Selke-winner Ryan Kesler). I suspect Cody & dad always considered having Cody pull away from the game - earlier than most....as self-protection from long-term injury. His lack of aggression & commitment level to the defensive side of his game & their obsession with bolstering only his offensive ops or stats,.. alluded somewhat to that.

CoHo still has what he & his family really wanted from this game.. which is financial security. To become an elite long-term professional journey-man player in the NHL...takes many, many, more desires,...than just that - tho.

1 minute ago, viking mama said:

Well,...they did manage to finagle a very huge & unwarranted LTC out of Buffalo,...which translated into a lucrative pay-day with that early buy-out of his.

I thought he may drift-off into oblivion, claim back problems, &  collect insurance money or something. An all-around self-interested possibly gold-digging player,....were the thoughts that came to my mind as he was departing VanCity . He didn't seem to have the sustained integrity, heart, character traits, or nor team-work ambitions,...of players like say ,...our Sedins...(who would have been the best of mentors  for him  yet he was somehow unhappy playing behind them. I suspect Cody & dad have always considered that Cody might pull away from the game - early....as more self-protection from long-term injury. His lack of aggression & commitment level to the defensive side of his game...& obsession with bolstering mainly his offensive ops or stats alluded to that a little.

CoHo now has what he & his family really wanted from this game.. which is some financial security. To become an elite player a long-term professional journey-man in the NHL - tho...takes many, many, more desires,...than that.

I have no problems with athletes who play for the money.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Rough day for CDC's most vocal and delusional fanclub.  Anyone who's been around here a while knows who they are.

I was expecting more Fan boy traffic in this thread. Maybe some of them finally realize this guy wasn't all that and a bag of chips.

1 hour ago, TheCammer said:

I was expecting more Fan boy traffic in this thread. Maybe some of them finally realize this guy wasn't all that and a bag of chips.

Funny folks on Sportsnet say he's worth a gamble on an offense starved team. But they also say you've got to get inside Cody's head and see where he's at. Maybe it's his feet not his head.

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Funny folks on Sportsnet say he's worth a gamble on an offense starved team. But they also say you've got to get inside Cody's head and see where he's at. Maybe it's his feet not his head.

I would think he still might be worth a gamble. And it could be a confidence issue as much as his feet. However, with the rumours of his parents meddling in Vancouver I'm sure most teams will spare themselves the drama than try and turn him around.

It's too bad. He looked like he might have a decent career.

125284_o.gif

The sodium and speculation levels here are off the charts.

Objectively speaking, Hodgson off WAIVERS could be a steal. WAIVERS. 

If he doesn't pan out, what do you lose other than a roster spot? Nothing. Why? Because he cost you nothing.

I do agree that that ship has probably sailed for the Canucks although new GM + possibly grounded Hodgson = profit?

Archived