The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sabres ‘would listen’ to offers for Tyler Ennis

In terms of pending unrestricted free agents, the pickings are pretty slim on the Buffalo Sabres.

Jamie McGinn. David Legwand. Mike Weber. Chad Johnson. No disrespect to those four, but it wasn’t earth-shattering news when GM Tim Murray told ESPN.com that he’s looking to move some of his “veterans on expiring contracts” before the Feb. 29 trade deadline. Given where the Sabres are in the standings, that’s just obvious.

But according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, the Sabres may also be willing to move Tyler Ennis. Or, as LeBrun put it, they “would listen” to offers.

Ennis, 26, is signed through 2018-19 for a cap hit of $4.6 million. Which is a pretty big cap hit for a winger with just three goals in 23 games. But then, he did lead the offensively challenged Sabres with 20 goals last season and 21 goals the season before.

It’s also worth noting that his five-year contract was front-loaded. In terms of actual salary, it’s only $3.65 million annually for the next three years, per war-on-ice.com.

Ennis is currently on injured reserve with an upper-body injury. His status is week-to-week.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/01/13/report-sabres-would-listen-to-offers-for-ennis/

In the past, I would consider adding Ennis to the Canucks roster, but with our move to add players with a combination of size, skill, and youthfulness (not saying Ennis at 26 is old), I think that ship has sailed for our organization. 

Should he be on the move, I wish him nothing but the best. He has done fairly well, on a consistent basis, for the Sabres over the last couple of seasons. 

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Don't even start.

Hey someone's gotta do it.

Tyler?  More like Tiger Ennis!

Frankly I don't see him fitting here though, he's young and all but we don't need him with Sven holding down the 2nd line left wing spot and Tyler's lack of size might render him ineffective in the west. 

Tyler Ennis is 5'9. We already have a player of that size down in the AHL - his name is Subban. 

He's too small. And he doesn't seem to fit with the type of players that Benning's trying to get, let alone the team he's trying to assemble. 

1 hour ago, Lulover88 said:

i think teams who have a lot of size will ..       the guy is a talented player and can help with scoring in a big way  ..   think anaheim or l.a 

I just don't see him as that dynamic. Got his stats pumped up by getting a key role on a bad team. Now the Sabres have a better replacement he's kind of an afterthought.

13 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Hey someone's gotta do it.

Tyler?  More like Tiger Ennis!

Frankly I don't see him fitting here though, he's young and all but we don't need him with Sven holding down the 2nd line left wing spot and Tyler's lack of size might render him ineffective in the west. 

I'm not interested in Ennis but this size argument is getting pretty silly.

Patrick Kane and Johnny Gudreau are pretty darn small..

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I just don't see him as that dynamic. Got his stats pumped up by getting a key role on a bad team. Now the Sabres have a better replacement he's kind of an afterthought.

I am actually a bit surprised as I watched the World Cup last spring and Ennis was a absolute standout. Size is a issue no doubt. Any roster has to be big IMHO with high caliber smaller players salted in.

While small, a team looking to make noise in the playoffs would be foolish not to pick him up. He's still young and could be hidden in a bigger team (ie. Boston, Winnipeg, Anaheim).

In my opinion, which holds LOTS of weight, Winnipeg and Anaheim should be looking at this hard. Both need to make a change.

So when are we getting Ennis anyway? He's a former Medicine Hat Tiger who played under WD so I figured it would have happened by now... :lol:

All jokes aside, I don't know how well he'd fit on our team. He'd probably do great on a bigger team like LA or Anaheim since his lack of size wouldn't be as much of a factor then. (Someone said that on 1040 recently and it made a lot of sense to me, I forget who... McGuire maybe?)

Archived