The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] The Sedins Just Keep Answering the Bell

Watermelons

Sums it up, nicely.   Love Bob...he's one of the few out there I respect (not because of this article, but it certainly gives bonus points).  Loved the stories of his wife and her involvement in and passion for his career.  Solid.  Thanks for sharing it, enjoyed it.

We all know this stuff about this Sedins...time the rest of those clowns out there learn it.

You'd all be surprised at how much the hockey world does respect the Sedins.  I watch quite a few non-Canucks feeds throughout the season and, apart from a few (Bruins and Panthers in particular), the commentators all have nothing but good things to say about the twins.  Lots of respect out there.  I'd almost have to say that our own fans are the hardest on them.

Over the years and especially this season, I'm learning to savour what we see on a nightly basis because it won't last forever.  Top tier hockey by two outstanding individuals.  

9 minutes ago, Vicky said:

You'd all be surprised at how much the hockey world does respect the Sedins.  I watch quite a few non-Canucks feeds throughout the season and, apart from a few (Bruins and Panthers in particular), the commentators all have nothing but good things to say about the twins.  Lots of respect out there.  I'd almost have to say that our own fans are the hardest on them.

Over the years and especially this season, I'm learning to savour what we see on a nightly basis because it won't last forever.  Top tier hockey by two outstanding individuals.  

I agree I have watched several other teams feeds and it's not just the Sedins that get praise but they even know who our young guys are and talk them up also.

But they do talk about the Sedins a lot and have actually never herd anything bad said about them until this came out.

29 minutes ago, Vicky said:

Much agreed.  I, too, watch quite a bit of hockey and an overwhelming majority of the commentators continually compliment the Sedins and talk not only of their point totals but their toughness and willingness to go into the corners for the puck.  Their talent and sixth sense in knowing where each one is on the ice.  Many also are quite aware of the Sedins' heavy community involvement.  

That being said, I also wonder if that's because they don't know much about the Horvats, Baertschis, Virtanens of our team.

Nonetheless, what the Sedins have accomplished in their careers has been amazing.  Here's to hoping the rebuild/ retool goes smooth and quick to enable them to taste the champagne from Lord Stanley's Mug of Champions in a Canucks uni!!!!!

P.S.: No More Higgins!!!!!  Next up, Yannick Garbage Weber!!!!!

Thornton won the cup because he was on a team of talented motivated players, not because he was integral to that cup

A smart man would realize, don't yap about a cup you had really no significant part of and were simply along for the ride

A smart man would realize you don't chirp 2 of the mentally and clearly physically tough athletes in the World not only the NHL - how can we say this? By their ability to dominate in the toughest professional hockey league consistently for a decade or more.

Then again, I am suggesting a 'smart man' would do these things, not an ape. I guess when you've never been able to play hockey you do get jealous of those who can.

:)

12 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Sedins make everyone they play with look good. I stand by what I said. Feel free to disagree. 

While his role as a goal scorer is because of the Sedin twins, you dont give the guy the credit hes due, he was developing into a great checking forward/penalty killer before he played with the Sedins. Were the Sedin's there when he ground his way through the East Coast Hockey League then the AHL? 

The reason I joined CDC was to defend the Sedins. They were being heavily criticized by "fans" led by someone with the user-name Diamond Dog. They were referring to them as sisters and characterizing them as being soft. They obviously never played a competitive sport in their lives or they would have comprehended how difficult it is to battle against one person 20-30 lbs heavier and win let alone against two. I'm still amazed when they win so many puck battles against the toughest d-men in the League. Also anyone who has ever interacted with them on a personal level has spoken of them with the highest regards.

Kassian scored 8 goals in his final 16 games playing on their line.

These guys take more of a beating than a lot of first line players do because of the style they play, they dont score off of the rush much, most of their game is possessing in the corners where they take a beating.  They are tough and durable.

I think a lot of the bad media comes from guys like Cox and Spector who implicitly trash the canucks at every opportunity. Those two guys are clowns.

Good to see respected guys like McKenzie stand up for them.

11 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Umm pretty sure they made Kassian look good. He had like 5 or 6 goals while playing with the Sedins in a handful of games.

The thing is the team wasn't about to reward Kassian by playing him with the Sedins with all his "issues" and not just the office ones. If they did it for a length of time that type of thing can ruin a dressing room. Kas had to play 3rd line and 4th line minutes to get better on the ice and correct his behaviour off the ice before getting full time duty with Sedins. 

They made Kassian look good in the 5 games he played with the Sedins when he first arrived... (5 goals) but he did ZERO for them, their point production dropped.  Which is why he was not kept with them... later he had at least three chances to click with them while AV was here, at least one chance during Tort's reign, and not sure whether he played with them during WD's first year.

The reason Burrows was so good with the Sedins was that while he potted quite a few goals, he also contributed.  The Sedins continued to score and put the points up while he was on their line. 

Sure a player can be put with the Sedins and improve his own stats... the key is for that player to make the Sedins better too.  And until Hansen finally found the answer this year, only Burrows was able to do that.  (and Hansen this year is not putting up anywhere near the number of points that Burrows did when he was 29)

3 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

These guys take more of a beating than a lot of first line players do because of the style they play, they dont score off of the rush much, most of their game is possessing in the corners where they take a beating.  They are tough and durable.

I think a lot of the bad media comes from guys like Cox and Spector who implicitly trash the canucks at every opportunity. Those two guys are clowns.

Good to see respected guys like McKenzie stand up for them.

Damien Cox and Mark Spector are weasels. They are bottom feeding scum suckers who feed off the scraps that McKenzie and LeBrun leave behind.

17 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Even  Torts had nice things to say about the Sedins, so what does that tell ya!

Still does. He said in an interview before we played the BJ's on that dreadful road trip that he holds that relationship dearly.

They are great people and future hall of famers and they will never get the respect they deserve, even from some Canucks fans.... and it is what it is. 

15 hours ago, nux4lyfe said:

Say what you want about this guy but He is the reason We got to see great Sedinary for all those yrs and then some..

brianburke2012nhlentrydraftroundonencyyi

I used to be a fan of Burke's until he went all-world vindictive on this market place after the Gaglardi group lost their bid to buy the 'Nucks,... his good buddy Dave Nonis was fired... & his former nemesis Mike Gillis was then hired by the end-running Aquilinis. He's used his king-pin status in this league to dole-out a lot of hurt & meddlesome pay-back to our Canucks - ever since.

Maybe he was responsible for bringing the Sedins to Vancouver...but he also attempted to lure them away from us as TOR 's GM with some 'questionable' tactics, and Burke's 'many' interferences may have cost the Canucks a Cup in 2011 & quite possibly play-off success after that. 

I don't like this ^ guy one iota, any more. 

18 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

Now that were losers again it's back to being lovable.

Not a knock on Mackenzie who I always found fair but when we were on top all these media wold join in on the crap talking parade. Now that were no longer winning the Sedins finally get a little respect? 

I take exception to your comment. You really going to refer to the Canucks team as losers...

...And though the team isnt winning, you might notice that Sedins basically didnt lose a step. Daniel is having an amazing season.

Maybe... it is that you are finally giving these guys some respect, while everyone else around you already was. 

Also, we are playing .500 hockey. We arent losing, so you might want to look that up Mr. Winner.

Great article from the best Hockey writer out there.

The Sedins are two amazing guys in and out of the rink.

There's no justice in the world if they don't end up with a cup and a piece of crap like Thornton has one.

Here's another good article on the Sedin's from the Washington Post today. Seems like the media is starting to show them some respect that they deserve. 

Ask any hockey fan to name the top five players in the NHL right now, and you are going to get some predictable responses. Alex Ovechkin, Tyler Seguin, Patrick Kane, P.K. Subban, Erik Karlsson, and Jamie Benn would all make up the majority of lists.

But two names are consistently absent: Daniel and Henrik Sedin.

Daniel, the goal scorer, has put 346 pucks in net with his best year a 41-goal campaign in 2010-11. Henrik, the playmaker, led the league in assists from 2009 to 2012, three straight seasons. Both have won the Art Ross trophy, awarded to the player who leads the league in points. Henrik earned the Hart trophy in 2010 as the league’s most valuable player and Daniel was voted the most outstanding player by his peers in 2011.

Their raw point totals rank them both in the top 100 all-time, with Henrik (951 points, 92nd all time) slightly edging out Daniel (921, 99th). If you adjust those numbers in order to account for different schedule lengths, roster sizes, and scoring environments, they jump to No. 68 and 72 all-time, respectively.

As for their eventual enshrinement in the Hockey Hall of Fame, they appear to be shoo-ins. Every former Art Ross trophy winner that is Hall-of-Fame eligible currently has a plaque in Toronto. Yet they are almost always an afterthought when listing the league’s top superstars, such as Sidney Crosby and Ovechkin.

“Those are big names, great names,” Canucks coach Willie Desjardins said. “When the Sedins are winning the Art Ross you probably heard about them a lot more. People two, three years ago felt they were falling off and now you see their names in the top 10. It’s pretty special to be in that top 10 group.

“We aren’t an offensive team, it’s not like we have big numbers like Dallas and Washington, so they’re doing it with a high percentage of points on our team. When you see that, you know other teams are keying on them. It’s pretty remarkable what they’ve done.”

It’s also remarkable how much ice time the Sedins share. According to David Johnson, creator of the advanced analytics site hockeyanalysis.com, the twins have spent 7,702 even-strength minutes together, the most of any forward pair in the league since 2007-08, the earliest data is available. Anaheim’s Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf are (surprisingly) close behind, followed by Washington’s Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom, a distant third.

That consistency has made the Sedins the most stable forward pair in the NHL, with a slew of other skaters trying to fit in on the top line beside them.

“We’ve had every type of player,” Henrik said. “We had Anson Carter, not the best skater in the world. Taylor Pyatt, a big, strong physical guy. We had [Alexandre Burrows], who is a smart player but not the biggest guy, not the fastest guy. Zack Kassian was really speedy for us. We’ve gone through different types of players, it doesn’t really matter for us what type of player it is.”

“You always have to look for someone to complement them,” Desjardins said. “As good as they are you need three guys to make a line. You need a guy that goes to the net, gets in on the forecheck and gives them a little speed to back the defense off.”

The Sedins’ skill has consistently raised the play of their forward partner. Carter averaged 0.68 points per game in the season he spent in Vancouver (2005-06). The year before (0.36) and after (0.44) were both worse. Pyatt scored 2.31 even-strength goals per 60 minutes from 2007-09 but just 2.15 when he skated with others. The Canucks saw more goals per 60 with Kassian skating with the Sedins than when he didn’t, but it was on the defensive side of the puck that Kassian benefited most. He and the Sedins allowed 1.96 goals against per 60, which ballooned to 2.68 for Kassian when he skated without Henrik and Daniel.

Burrows had perhaps the most success and the longest run. He shared over 3,200 minutes with the Sedins at even strength scoring 3.49 goals per 60 minutes — nearly twice the rate of an average top-six forward (1.8). Their best season, 2009-10, saw them average 4.49 goals per 60 minutes as a trio, and Burrows’s average shot distance was less than 26 feet from the net, with a majority of his attempts that year up close and personal to the opposing team’s goaltender.

“It’s a lot of fun,” Burrows said of his time playing with the Sedins. “They are such smart players. They are offensively gifted and their chemistry is just unreal.

Burrows might be the foremost expert among the ever-changing third wheels.

“First of all, have fun with it,” he said, when asked what advice he’d give to any forward skating with the Sedins. “And then give them the puck as much as you can. Through the neutral zone, let them carry it in. Once in the offensive zone, give them the puck. One will probably be behind the net and the other will be on the half wall. Try to release the puck to them and go to the net. Open some space for them so they can work their magic.”

“We like to get pucks down deep in their end and work them behind their goalie,” Daniel said. “We don’t want to play that up and down, back and forth game. We want to have a lot of zone time and create a lot of offense from there.”

As Desjardins noted earlier, the Sedins are in the middle of a resurgence. Daniel has scored 19 goals, good enough for 11th most in the NHL. Henrik has 27 assists, placing him seventh. And that’s despite playing with six different right wingers this season. Their 16 even-strength goals with winger Jannik Hansen is tied for 10th most among forward combos this season, and that’s with Hansen sidelined since Dec. 26th with an upper body injury.

“They play against the other team’s top line and top D every night and they play big minutes,” Desjardins said. “They feel if they don’t score we aren’t going to win. That’s a tough way to go into every game. It’s a lot of pressure and I have a lot of respect for them.”

Considering the Sedins have been responsible for 27 percent of all the Canucks points this season and have been the driving force that has kept the team in the Western Conference playoff race, the twins likely warrant far more respect, and attention, than they’ve received to this point in the season.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2016/01/14/daniel-and-henrik-sedin-the-nhls-forgotten-superstars/?tid=sm_tw_ps

2 hours ago, ThatPope said:
Here's another good article on the Sedin's from the Washington Post today. Seems like the media is starting to show them some respect that they deserve. 

Ask any hockey fan to name the top five players in the NHL right now, and you are going to get some predictable responses. Alex Ovechkin, Tyler Seguin, Patrick Kane, P.K. Subban, Erik Karlsson, and Jamie Benn would all make up the majority of lists.

But two names are consistently absent: Daniel and Henrik Sedin.

Daniel, the goal scorer, has put 346 pucks in net with his best year a 41-goal campaign in 2010-11. Henrik, the playmaker, led the league in assists from 2009 to 2012, three straight seasons. Both have won the Art Ross trophy, awarded to the player who leads the league in points. Henrik earned the Hart trophy in 2010 as the league’s most valuable player and Daniel was voted the most outstanding player by his peers in 2011.

Their raw point totals rank them both in the top 100 all-time, with Henrik (951 points, 92nd all time) slightly edging out Daniel (921, 99th). If you adjust those numbers in order to account for different schedule lengths, roster sizes, and scoring environments, they jump to No. 68 and 72 all-time, respectively.

As for their eventual enshrinement in the Hockey Hall of Fame, they appear to be shoo-ins. Every former Art Ross trophy winner that is Hall-of-Fame eligible currently has a plaque in Toronto. Yet they are almost always an afterthought when listing the league’s top superstars, such as Sidney Crosby and Ovechkin.

“Those are big names, great names,” Canucks coach Willie Desjardins said. “When the Sedins are winning the Art Ross you probably heard about them a lot more. People two, three years ago felt they were falling off and now you see their names in the top 10. It’s pretty special to be in that top 10 group.

“We aren’t an offensive team, it’s not like we have big numbers like Dallas and Washington, so they’re doing it with a high percentage of points on our team. When you see that, you know other teams are keying on them. It’s pretty remarkable what they’ve done.”

It’s also remarkable how much ice time the Sedins share. According to David Johnson, creator of the advanced analytics site hockeyanalysis.com, the twins have spent 7,702 even-strength minutes together, the most of any forward pair in the league since 2007-08, the earliest data is available. Anaheim’s Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf are (surprisingly) close behind, followed by Washington’s Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom, a distant third.

That consistency has made the Sedins the most stable forward pair in the NHL, with a slew of other skaters trying to fit in on the top line beside them.

“We’ve had every type of player,” Henrik said. “We had Anson Carter, not the best skater in the world. Taylor Pyatt, a big, strong physical guy. We had [Alexandre Burrows], who is a smart player but not the biggest guy, not the fastest guy. Zack Kassian was really speedy for us. We’ve gone through different types of players, it doesn’t really matter for us what type of player it is.”

“You always have to look for someone to complement them,” Desjardins said. “As good as they are you need three guys to make a line. You need a guy that goes to the net, gets in on the forecheck and gives them a little speed to back the defense off.”

The Sedins’ skill has consistently raised the play of their forward partner. Carter averaged 0.68 points per game in the season he spent in Vancouver (2005-06). The year before (0.36) and after (0.44) were both worse. Pyatt scored 2.31 even-strength goals per 60 minutes from 2007-09 but just 2.15 when he skated with others. The Canucks saw more goals per 60 with Kassian skating with the Sedins than when he didn’t, but it was on the defensive side of the puck that Kassian benefited most. He and the Sedins allowed 1.96 goals against per 60, which ballooned to 2.68 for Kassian when he skated without Henrik and Daniel.

Burrows had perhaps the most success and the longest run. He shared over 3,200 minutes with the Sedins at even strength scoring 3.49 goals per 60 minutes — nearly twice the rate of an average top-six forward (1.8). Their best season, 2009-10, saw them average 4.49 goals per 60 minutes as a trio, and Burrows’s average shot distance was less than 26 feet from the net, with a majority of his attempts that year up close and personal to the opposing team’s goaltender.

“It’s a lot of fun,” Burrows said of his time playing with the Sedins. “They are such smart players. They are offensively gifted and their chemistry is just unreal.

Burrows might be the foremost expert among the ever-changing third wheels.

“First of all, have fun with it,” he said, when asked what advice he’d give to any forward skating with the Sedins. “And then give them the puck as much as you can. Through the neutral zone, let them carry it in. Once in the offensive zone, give them the puck. One will probably be behind the net and the other will be on the half wall. Try to release the puck to them and go to the net. Open some space for them so they can work their magic.”

“We like to get pucks down deep in their end and work them behind their goalie,” Daniel said. “We don’t want to play that up and down, back and forth game. We want to have a lot of zone time and create a lot of offense from there.”

As Desjardins noted earlier, the Sedins are in the middle of a resurgence. Daniel has scored 19 goals, good enough for 11th most in the NHL. Henrik has 27 assists, placing him seventh. And that’s despite playing with six different right wingers this season. Their 16 even-strength goals with winger Jannik Hansen is tied for 10th most among forward combos this season, and that’s with Hansen sidelined since Dec. 26th with an upper body injury.

“They play against the other team’s top line and top D every night and they play big minutes,” Desjardins said. “They feel if they don’t score we aren’t going to win. That’s a tough way to go into every game. It’s a lot of pressure and I have a lot of respect for them.”

Considering the Sedins have been responsible for 27 percent of all the Canucks points this season and have been the driving force that has kept the team in the Western Conference playoff race, the twins likely warrant far more respect, and attention, than they’ve received to this point in the season.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2016/01/14/daniel-and-henrik-sedin-the-nhls-forgotten-superstars/?tid=sm_tw_ps

So it's not "cool" to bash a Sedin for awhile, I guess. Again, all this has been known for years and yet, beyond a bit of lip service once and a while, they've been the targets of nothing but mockery and scorn from national media writers and talking heads. You kind of expect it from US media, but ours? It takes an over-the-line comment from some washed-up drunk from Florida to wake up these "professional journalists"?

In my opinion, the antics H&D (actually, the whole franchise, really) have had to put up with are a direct result of the opposition knowing they won't be called on it or criticized by anybody.

To me, the only piece of press that doesn't ring hollow is this...

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-1260/jason-gregor-show-january-13-hour-3-1.422538

It's your basic sports drive-time guy from a fanbase that hates us. He normally panders to his audience (they all do), but this is different. Start the player at 4:12 and it goes until 15:00. It wanders a bit, and it takes a couple of minor swipes at us (expected), but it's the only press I've heard where I start to think maybe something has actually changed.

20 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I will.  Kassian played with the Sedins... 'nuff said.

Everyone has their opportunities... some take those and shine, others p*ss them away.

Burrows took his opportunity and shone... and by the way, the Sedins didn't play on the PK with him when he was the key to the best PK in the league.

Kassian had a great start for the 5 ish games he played with the Sedins. Then they never played him there again.

Archived