The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emerson Etem Could Turn Out To Be Huge

Luongo4life14

On January 15, 2016 at 10:15 AM, hlinkas wrister said:

I don't know who the power skating coach is in the Hat but both Etem and Dorsett look like they bought in hard- their skating strides are so similar. 

i,ve noticed that as well, to take that a little further dorset being a saskachewan boy his skating  is very similar to brendon morrows style both being from sask.

On 1/15/2016 at 6:21 AM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Very much agreed.  I think Etem plays the power game that they wanted but didn't get from Kassian.  Whether he has the pure skill that we saw in flashes from Zack is another question.  No doubt we'll have plenty of chances to watch how these two players evolve over the next couple of years.  I like Etem a lot, and was a die-hard Kassian supporter so I'm planning to enjoy this comparison. 

Zack played his best when he was with the Sedins. Etem and Zack are two totally different types of power forwards. Kassian was nastier and just a rugged player. From what I've seen and heard, Etem is not a player that invokes those qualities into his game. His stats show that he rarely takes penalties unlike Kassianl. And from last nights game shows he is much better defensively as well. 

Now that Etem is on the Canucks, Vey is starting to look like the Linden Vey from Los Angeles a little more. Etem and Vey seem to have instant chemistry with each other. Hopefully this will be a good start to some secondary scoring.

6 hours ago, smokes said:

Zack played his best when he was with the Sedins. Etem and Zack are two totally different types of power forwards. Kassian was nastier and just a rugged player. From what I've seen and heard, Etem is not a player that invokes those qualities into his game. His stats show that he rarely takes penalties unlike Kassianl. And from last nights game shows he is much better defensively as well. 

Now that Etem is on the Canucks, Vey is starting to look like the Linden Vey from Los Angeles a little more. Etem and Vey seem to have instant chemistry with each other. Hopefully this will be a good start to some secondary scoring.

I agree:  they are very different players.  Etem hits, skates, takes the puck hard to the net, shields it with his body, draws penalties, which are all aspects of the power game they wanted from Zack, but didn't get.  Only in that sense is Etem a "replacement" for him.  While Etem can scrap, he doesn't do it much or as effectively as Zack, and I don't think he can equal Zack's passing and vision, at least yet.  No question that Etem is better defensively. 

Vey was already looking better before we got Etem but is better still with him.  Suddenly we have three lines that can score.

On 14/01/2016 at 9:36 PM, Luongo4life14 said:

Hmm that's a pretty negative response for no reason. The Brock Boeser part was an obvious typo. It was a list of the Canucks awesome prospects. No need to be so nit picky. They didn't say that Etem was going to play LW, they simply said that Etem had filled Higgins spot on the 20 man roster.

Maybe it's just me but you probably shouldn't be posting new threads just to up the hits on articles you've written, especially if you then imply that it wasn't you who wrote the article. I skim read the article and, while it's not too bad, your writing needs some work. Too verbose for my liking, maybe get someone ruthless to edit it next time.

How's the Miller bashing going btw?

On Friday, January 15, 2016 at 10:48 PM, Green Goblin said:

Half of all NHLers are late-boomers. I'll like EE's upside; lots of potential and already has real good speed considering his wide frame. 

I liked him from the start, this was an under utilized player, Benning did good! Etem made an assist last game against Bruins and also draws penalties with his speed circling the net.

Eatum-up Etem!

It's hilarious watching him skate up the ice sometimes. He skates so hard looks like he's going to wipe himself out. Wish more guys on our team hustled like that.

Seems like he's fighting the puck a bit when he gets it. Hopefully he can pot one soon and get some confidence with the puck.

Great addition though.

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think he needs to slow down a bit.  

I agree, to an extent.  He needs to focus on the details.  This includes using his great size and speed to go to the "dirty" areas.  Go to the net more often and see what happens.  In addition, maybe Coach D needs to try him on a different line.  

Archived