The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our Defence

laddie

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

maybe we can deal some of the defense for right handed guys. or if we are lucky. maybe one of the defensive prospects we draft is able to step into the line up right away. unlikely I know. 

juolevi or chyhrn, but i agree there could be good d available later in the draft...

our defence realistically is not that good.

Tanev, Hutton is who I would start building a defence around.

EDLER is over-rated big time, that member who made the video on his mistakes was spot on because Edler just doesn't get it. He is not a elite defence and maybe that's the thing. Hamuis is done, I said it before and will say it again, he reminds of a Beiksa. Slow at turning and teams were skating circles around him before his injury. Sbisa is a give-away king, when games get tight and ice is hard to overcome teams, Sbisa tends to panic with the puck.

Weber- no comment. Bartwoski - ha

Beiga is a nice defence, I would keep him for the future, even as a bottom pairing. Benning should trade and start to build around two legit guys like Tanev and Hutton. 

So really clean house if he is serious in building a cup winner because Edler will never be the guy helping bring a cup to Vancity. 

teams who win cups have defence who get the job done, a perfect example is Chicago rolling with 4 last year. Joel Quenville knows what he is doing so maybe follow a bit of a blackhawk model and fix the defence already! 

8 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Just think way back when JB had the opportunity to sign a defenseman or two... Niskenen, Boychuk, and Leddy...but chose to sign Miller.

This team now has Weber.

he believed Miller can stand on his head and get this team a 8th place finish, so ownership can make there $$$$. Seems like that's what were seeing from this team. Miller has to stand on his head night in and out or Markstorm for this team to even win games. Great model Benning, could of not signed Miller let reality hit the team, tank last year and tank this year while having Lack and Markstorm be the two guys. Oh hold on here come the oiler comments. 

imagine this we tanked last year and this year we would have two decent prospects with Markstorm and Lack, lots of cap-space with average sedins. I would call that retooling but what Benning is doing is a 8th place finish.

team claims to be in a winning environment when they are using a Minnesota trap from year 2000. LOL no puck pressure just collapse down low and rely on your goaltender to stand on his head is the new model for this team. 

Given who is currently on roster/in system:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Sbisa

Biega-Hamhuis

Bartkowski

After that, I see Pedan, Weber, Fedun, Sautner, Subban, Tryamkin, Cederholm...anyone after that most likely will never see the light of day (well NHL).

Given that we pretty much all agree on Weber's current value with this team (basically none), Hamhuis is either trade bait, or an elder statesman that we resign for less, and Bart is up in the air; we would be looking at almost depending on Pedan to make the team next year, or Fedun, and hope the other four either improve or are even available. Um...now we're into Powerball odds. Ugh. So...free agent/trade. Dustin Byfuglien has been mentioned as a possibility, for around 7-8M. Steep, but looking at our depth, uh, likely worth the price. The way our season is going, I don't see us getting into the top 5 and a chance at Chychrun, so maybe we are looking at Sergachev (top 10). Now we have

Hutton-Buff

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Sbisa

Biega/Bartkowski/Pedan

Farm depth: Pedan (maybe), Sautner, Suban, Tryamkin, Cederholm, a couple of free agents, and Sergachev developing in the CHL. This puts the Edler/Tanev pairing down one rung, a few less minutes, a little less responsibility, and likely a whole lot better overall. Hamhuis & Sbisa play in the 3rd pairing, where their talents and ability seem to lie right now. Biega becomes the #7, again a good place; we know what he is capable of, and I think he has management's trust now; repeat that statement for Bart, except maybe the trust line. Pedan gets a little more time to settle in before full time, likely by end of 16-17 season. It also gives us a potentially very good Dman in system that we really don't have.

I think we have seen, because of injuries, what happens when you have guys playing above their level. Bo and McCann, at this point in their careers, are not #2 centers, and it showed when they were asked to do just that. Same with the D; Sbisa is not really a top 4, Hamhuis is not a top 4 AT THIS TIME, Bart is not a top 4, Biega is not a top 4; yet all 4 of them have been asked to play there. Not good. Edler-Tanev is a poor team's top pairing; let's make them a good team's second pairing. And yes, I know I left Hutton in the top pairing. He MAY be the only D man currently on roster with that potential. Pairing him with Buff would let him be a little more assured that the rushes he is starting to show, and the outlet passes he has been showing all along, would not come back to bite him, if one went astray, as Buff can cover this.

This is something I'd only like to see if the team makes the playoffs this season: target Olli Maatta who's an R.F.A.

The Pens have spent greatly on their forwards and have spent close to $68 million with their goalie and part of their blue-line before signing their other R.F.A.'s (Plotnikov, Bennett).  With such little space left, I'd want the team to jump at Olli, throwing a $3+ million offer sheet at him (if possible, keep it below the price for which we'd give up our 1st).  Frankly the Pens would lose either way, as they either ice a roster with too few players or they shed a good forward up front.

Edler - Tanev
Maatta - Sbisa?
Hutton - Biega?    

It's going to be difficult to find two defensemen on the market stronger than Edler and stay under the cap. I'd like to see a pick-up where we get two guys who can be a great fit by committee in Jason Demers and Kris Russell (both UFAs in 2016).

Russell - Tanev
Edler - Demers
Hutton - Sbisa
Biega (7) - Pedan (8)

On 1/15/2016 at 1:51 PM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

It's a risk, alright, but if you look at his numbers, they're still trending upwards.  You have to figure that he's putting some strain on his joints packing that kind of weight, but his skating is still remarkable for a guy his size.  This is what makes him even scarier as an all-around player than Chara was in his prime.  If you sign Buff at 8 mil for 5 yrs. and he's good value for 3 of them, you still come out ahead.  During that time you still need to find and develop some top D prospects, but he would buy you that time.  I'd take the risk because it's maybe the only way I can see us winning a cup with the Sedins still here.  We'll have the cap to do it, and its a better route to go than blowing all of our recently replenished prospect pool. 

i mostly agree with you

but think stretching the term a bit might be worthwhile and make things more attractive all round

rather than 5 years at 8 mill, i think i'd prefer 6 at $45 or even 7 years at $49 million

that would stretch out his cap hit a bit

and we could still front load the contract at $9 mill first 2 years, $8 mill for 1 year, 3 years at at $6 million each, and last year at $5 million

1 hour ago, Nuck-Shot said:

I simply cannot understand why jb waived higgins before a shot shoring up the back end!  You cant deny the guy has the skillset to succeed there.

omg . ha ha ha

i almost over looked reading this

um, you know this is not rec hockey ?

at the pro level you cannot just play a different position on a whim

:wacko:

oh and by the way, if you did not figure it out, i can and do deny he has the skill set to succeed as a dman

On 1/15/2016 at 7:32 AM, Darius71 said:

Boeser, Virt, Bo, Shink, Baertschi and McCann can turn out to be 25 goal scorers, they will flounder like the oilers until they rebuild that back end.  

Not to worry Jim Benning will take care of our defence problem. Via draft and UFA market. Sign Tyson Barrie next year as a FA on a home town discount? That would be awesome our power play could be one of the best in the league with a true QB like Barrie.

Archived