The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal/Discussion] Edler to Bruins

19 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Edler has refused to waive his NTC under oth the Gillis and the Benning era. For better or for worse, Edler isn't going anywhere.

Terrible game last night.

I'd be curious though if he would be interested in waiving to either play with Karlsson or Kronwall/Zetterberg.  That's the only places I'd see him consider waiving.

But with that said....with Hamhuis realistically leaving after the season, we need Edler and his flaws to smooth out the transition of our defense.  If we move Edler, then next year Hutton and Tanev is our number 1 pair.

Unless with trade for a Seth Jones or Shea Weber, we actually need Edler logging some minutes until someone from within can really show he can take over.  I mean Hutton is a nice surprise, but not ready to take on 25 minutes per game and the Canucks winning games.

Bieksa said he was going down with the ship, but look what happened there. Edler is in decline and the time to trade him is now. He still has value as he is a defenseman with size, skill, and experience. He just isn't a top pairing caliber defenseman. He's realistically a second pairing d-man, who needs a more offensively responsible partner to cover his ass. Linden's estimation that Lidster and the new coaching staff can turn his game around has proven to be unrealistic.

He doesn't have a NMC. And frankly he doesn't have the leadership or consistency to anchor a blueline or mentor young defensemen. He's far too timid and inconsistent. Benning would be wise to trade Edler to a contender that needs that push to get them over the hump.

Personally, even though his game has also dropped off, Hamhuis possesses that ability to be a leader for the young guys coming up. His worth isn't as high as Edler's and the return wouldn't be anywhere close to the same. Hamhuis has usually made every partner paired with him better. Sbisa, Tanev, Bartkowski, hell even Weber's game steadied out when playing with Hamhuis.

Benning may have no choice but to put together a blockbuster trade for a top 2 pairing defenseman. Personally, if I was Benning, I would set my sights on Victor Hedman or Alex Pietroangelo and pay whatever it takes to get them. Both are 25 years old, bring twice the game Edler does, on a far more consistent basis, and both are capable of being leaders on the blueline. Word out there is that Stamkos will be resigned fairly soon by the Lightning, and that salary will affect resigning the rest of the impending UFA/RFAs on Tampa. As well, if the Blues fail to make a dent in the postseason, which is almost a guarantee when their captain is David Backes, most likely Armstrong is going to blow it up, and any player could be had for the right price.

To stand pat with Edler as the number one on this team would be a grievous error that will end up biting the Canucks in the ass, when his game declines even more in the coming years, rendering his trade value worthless.

33 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

We have 2 1/2 top 4 guys as is.

Edler to the Bruins may bring good value but we're opening up a big hole if we trade him.

Honestly I don't think the hole can get any worse then it is now with Edler. If a D is gonna make that many huge mistakes game after game, they would be better off having Pedan or Suban making the mistakes and learning. 

If your gonna argue "he logs big minutes" what does that matter if it's always mistake filled minutes?

1 hour ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Honestly I don't think the hole can get any worse then it is now with Edler. If a D is gonna make that many huge mistakes game after game, they would be better off having Pedan or Suban making the mistakes and learning. 

If your gonna argue "he logs big minutes" what does that matter if it's always mistake filled minutes?

Interesting.  While I agree Edler isn't having a good season, we have very different views of Edler's overall value.

All stats below are from stats.hockeyanalysis.com as of this morning.

At 5 on 5 among Canuck defencemen who have played over 50 minutes, Edler:

-has the lowest percentage of starts in the offensive zone

-has the 2nd highest percentage of starts in the defensive zone

-is 2nd, behind only Tanev, in FF% and 3rd, behind Tanev and Hamhuis, in FF%Rel

-his CF% and GF% are worse-about the middle of the road among Canuck defencemen.

He's doing this while logging the most ice time per game of anyone on the team that doesn't wear goalie pads, playing more than normal against the opponents' best.

Last season, while playing a little over half a minute less per game, he was 1st in FF%RelTM, SF%, SF%RelTM, GF%RElTM, tied with Tanev for 1st in FF%, a close 2nd to Tanev in CF%, and CF%RelTM, while playing the most per game of the Canuck non-goalies, playing the opponents' best and starting a higher % in the defensive zone than any Canuck defenceman except the little-used Frank Corrado.

Do I wish Edler was turning the puck over less?  Yes.

Is he a hole in the Canucks' defence that can't get any worse?  No. 

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Bieksa said he was going down with the ship, but look what happened there. Edler is in decline and the time to trade him is now. He still has value as he is a defenseman with size, skill, and experience. He just isn't a top pairing caliber defenseman. He's realistically a second pairing d-man, who needs a more offensively responsible partner to cover his ass. Linden's estimation that Lidster and the new coaching staff can turn his game around has proven to be unrealistic.

He doesn't have a NMC. And frankly he doesn't have the leadership or consistency to anchor a blueline or mentor young defensemen. He's far too timid and inconsistent. Benning would be wise to trade Edler to a contender that needs that push to get them over the hump.

Personally, even though his game has also dropped off, Hamhuis possesses that ability to be a leader for the young guys coming up. His worth isn't as high as Edler's and the return wouldn't be anywhere close to the same. Hamhuis has usually made every partner paired with him better. Sbisa, Tanev, Bartkowski, hell even Weber's game steadied out when playing with Hamhuis.

Benning may have no choice but to put together a blockbuster trade for a top 2 pairing defenseman. Personally, if I was Benning, I would set my sights on Victor Hedman or Alex Pietroangelo and pay whatever it takes to get them. Both are 25 years old, bring twice the game Edler does, on a far more consistent basis, and both are capable of being leaders on the blueline. Word out there is that Stamkos will be resigned fairly soon by the Lightning, and that salary will affect resigning the rest of the impending UFA/RFAs on Tampa. As well, if the Blues fail to make a dent in the postseason, which is almost a guarantee when their captain is David Backes, most likely Armstrong is going to blow it up, and any player could be had for the right price.

To stand pat with Edler as the number one on this team would be a grievous error that will end up biting the Canucks in the ass, when his game declines even more in the coming years, rendering his trade value worthless.

Bieksa wanted to go down with the ship... the problem is that the ship didn't want to go down with him so the ship traded him to another ship, a fancy ship, that was for sure destined towards the Stanley Cup. The problem is that the fancy ship turned out to be having some engine (Getzlaf) problem this year. Too bad for KB.

As for Edler, I don't think trading him is a good idea. The reason why he played poorly is because the other team was good. Capitals are a well coached team and are full of good players that are more than capable of carrying out the coach's game plan.

Is Edler #1 defenceman that can handle all types of pressure? No. Is he a serviceable top 4? Yes. Are we going to finish dead last if we trade him? Probably. I don't think the management who wishes to remain competitive, can make any move on defence at this point in time. We are way too thin on defence.

4 minutes ago, khay said:

Bieksa wanted to go down with the ship... the problem is that the ship didn't want to go down with him so the ship traded him to another ship, a fancy ship, that was for sure destined towards the Stanley Cup. The problem is that the fancy ship turned out to be having some engine (Getzlaf) problem this year. Too bad for KB.

That is true. The SS DuckSauce is having severe issues staying afloat.

As for Edler, I don't think trading him is a good idea. The reason why he played poorly is because the other team was good. Capitals are a well coached team and are full of good players that are more than capable of carrying out the coach's game plan.

Explain why he played so well against the Rangers? Saying that a defenseman played poorly because they were up against a good team basically states that Edler lacks the ability to rise to the occasion. He plays poorly because he can't handle high pressure situations at all.

4 minutes ago, khay said:

Is Edler #1 defenceman that can handle all types of pressure? No. Is he a serviceable top 4? Yes. Are we going to finish dead last if we trade him? Probably. I don't think the management who wishes to remain competitive, can make any move on defence at this point in time. We are way too thin on defence.

Unless management is looking at a major defensive acquisition. Which they should be doing if they hope to remain competitive. This defense is the antithesis of competitive, and is rudderless. It needs a focal point, a leader that galvanizes the d corps much in the same way Henrik galvanizes the forwards. Henrik sets a shining and excellent example for all the forwards on how to play the position. Edler is the exact opposite. A follower who relies on his defensive partner to cover his glaring inefficiencies.

I hope for the sake of the future of the team, that Edler is moved and replaced with a real top 2 defenseman who brings a more consistent effort and physical game every night that younger players like Hutton, Pedan, Subban, and Trymakin can learn from and be inspired by. I would have mentioned Biega with the rest, but at 28, he's closer to Edler's age than the rest. And he brings a far more consistent game than Edler.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Trade Edler and Keep Hamhuis?  What's Edler's value, considering his contract?  Does Hamhuis have more, because he is a coming UFA?

Edler has huge value because of his skill set and size. He's playing way out of his ability frankly, and lacks the ability to manage being the number one.

Other teams would gladly pay handsomely for Edler and possibly have a much better slot and situation for him to play in. Unless Benning is planning on getting him a more dominant defensive partner.....which could work.

Hamhuis' value is merely tied to what can offer teams up to July 1st. Picks and/or prospects.

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Edler has huge value because of his skill set and size. He's playing way out of his ability frankly, and lacks the ability to manage being the number one.

Other teams would gladly pay handsomely for Edler and possibly have a much better slot and situation for him to play in. Unless Benning is planning on getting him a more dominant defensive partner.....which could work.

Hamhuis' value is merely tied to what can offer teams up to July 1st. Picks and/or prospects.

I don't see trading Edler unless he returns a top ten first round pick, or a prospect, who has elite upside.  Do the Bruins have either?

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't see trading Edler unless he returns a top ten first round pick, or a prospect, who has elite upside.  Do the Bruins have either?

I don't know, and I'm not sure what teams are on Edler's NTC list. He would still fetch a player, prospect and a pick. He's not useless by any means (even though I called him horrible yesterday :lol:).

He just has no place being the number one defenseman on an NHL team. He's not that good, and because he's being thrust into that role, which requires a steady fortitude, an elite skillset, and the ability to lead by example, he is failing miserably.

Square peg, round hole. It just doesn't work, and hopefully Benning and Linden are seeing this, instead of trying to sell Edler as something he's not.

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't know, and I'm not sure what teams are on Edler's NTC list. He would still fetch a player, prospect and a pick. He's not useless by any means (even though I called him horrible yesterday :lol:).

He just has no place being the number one defenseman on an NHL team. He's not that good, and because he's being thrust into that role, which requires a steady fortitude, an elite skillset, and the ability to lead by example, he is failing miserably.

Square peg, round hole. It just doesn't work, and hopefully Benning and Linden are seeing this, instead of trying to sell Edler as something he's not.

Does his salary reflect his value to a team, or is he overpaid for what he brings?  I see a guy like Phaneuf, and think he's way overpaid for what he provides, so his value is low.  Yet he still can really help a team given the right role.  

Archived