The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Miller Still Be Considered #1? (Article)

Luongo4life14

I think that Miller should be given easy starts against bottom-dweller teams while giving Markstrom 2-1 ratio start for the rest of the season if they plan to make the playoffs.  If the management wants to tank, then start Miller on a 2-1 ratio over Markstrom and trade Miller in the off-season and hope that Miller has a better second half of the season for his value to go up.   I was a supporter of the Miller's signing to act as a stop-gap since we did not know what we have in Lack and Markstrom.   Lack faltered out in the playoffs against the Flames so it was a good idea to trade away Lack and looking back, it's still a right move.   We can always trade Miller and retain some salary if we need to trade away Miller for some returns.  We can always sign a free agent goalie and we have a goalie in the farm system that can be a serviceable back-up to Markstrom for next season and wait until Demko to be ready. 

The fact that Miller allowed bad goals is concerning, even a 2nd goal distraction by a non-call yesterday.   If Markstrom was in net, I doubt that he would have allowed that goal.  

40 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Miller is not done - but he is facing a stiff battle for starts.

Interesting read:

Jacob Markstrom changed Vancouver Canucks’ goaltending landscape while Ryan Miller was injured

278d2297a1acd6e1004b87e7d940f3d9?s=34&d=

Iain MacIntyre | January 14, 2016 | Last Updated: Jan 15 10:27 AM ET
More from Iain MacIntyre

In eight games after Miller was hurt, Jacob Markstrom is 5-2-1 with a 2.21 goals-against average and .927 save rate.
THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl DyckIn eight games after Miller was hurt, Jacob Markstrom is 5-2-1 with a 2.21 goals-against average and .927 save rate.

WASHINGTON, D.C. — It’s not quite like he left the crease a starter and is returning as a backup, but Ryan Miller knows the landscape changed in the three weeks while he was injured. Jacob Markstrom altered it.

Miller is still the Vancouver Canucks’ No. 1 goalie. He was pledged US$18-million over three years by general manager Jim Benning before last season to fill that role, and both he and Benning plan, at this point, to see it through.

But Markstrom elevated his status in the eight games he started after Miller, bizarrely, injured his groin Dec. 20 in Sunrise, Fla., while suffering leg cramps as he tried to stop Brandon Pirri in a shootout.

Markstrom, who missed the first month of the season with a hamstring injury, started only six times in six weeks before Miller was hurt.

Play
0:00
/
0:00

Fullscreen
Mute

But in the eight games since, Markstrom is 5-2-1 with a 2.21 goals-against average and .927 save rate. In his last four starts, Miller posted a GAA of 4.23 and save rate of .881.

Markstrom’s sample size is far too small to make any sweeping declarations about his future in the National Hockey League after he struggled for five years to parlay minor-league stardom into even semi-regular NHL duty. But those eight games were enough for Canucks coach Willie Desjardins to admit the backup goalie has elevated himself and earned the organization’s confidence.

Desjardins has hinted a couple of times what a lot of people have thought for a while: to get the best out of the 35-year-old Miller while developing the 25-year-old Markstrom, the starter has to play less and the backup more.

“I think that’s fine,” Miller said before the Canucks travelled here to open another marathon survival test, six road games in 9½ days, starting Thursday night against the league-leading Washington Capitals.

“I want to have energy and I want to compete. The way the NHL is and the way our schedule has been, it’s hard to keep the energy really high.”

Desjardins said Wednesday that Miller will likely start Thursday night. With the Canucks also playing Friday in Carolina, expect Markstrom to get the Hurricanes.

After that, we’ll see.

Miller happily backed up Markstrom the last two games, forsaking playing time for the chance to fully practise and work on his timing.

It’s something Miller values more now after rushing back last season from a sprained knee to be available for the playoffs.

“Last year, trying to squeeze in that last (regular-season) game against Edmonton, my timing wasn’t great,” Miller said. “Then, the practices after that, I felt good. I’m trying to learn from that situation.

Claus Andersen/Getty Images
Claus Andersen/Getty ImagesRyan Miller is still the Vancouver Canucks’ No. 1 goalie.

“This is a new one for me. My conversation with the coaches, once I felt a little bit better, was: ‘I want to get my timing back and contribute because we’ve got quite a battle going (in the standings) and I want to be ready.’ ”

Asked if he thinks Markstrom has earned the right to keep starting, Miller said: “That’s not my call, but he’s been playing great hockey. Good for him, because he’s had his ups and downs (in the NHL). Last year, he made a great stride forward. I know he was frustrated to be injured at the start of the season when we were just starting out. For him, this is a big positive. For me, I just want to get back in the mix and start contributing.”

After Markstrom hurt his hamstring taking shots at the end of the Canucks’ final pre-season practice, Miller started Vancouver’s first 10 games and played 14 of the first 15. The consequence of that overuse seems apparent in Miller’s monthly splits: In October, his save rate was .923 and GAA 2.16; in November, his numbers collapsed to .898 and 2.96. In December he got hurt. And this was before the Canucks felt the full weight of their torturous schedule.

Vancouver had a seven-game roadie in November, a six-gamer in December, and now a six-game January trip that also takes them to play the Rangers and Islanders in New York, the Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins.

Toss in another four-gamer at the end of November, and the Canucks went through a stretch where they played 17 out of 23 on the road.

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan HaywardWith the Canucks also playing Friday in Carolina, expect Markstrom to get the Hurricanes.

The organization needs to seriously reassess its willingness to front-load its schedule with travel and extend trips in the eastern time zone, reasoning that the hardest part is just getting there.

“The hardest part is, I just expected more homestands, and we haven’t had anything this year,” Miller said.

“You look around the league and our road trips have been pretty tough and pretty long. Maybe you can source (injuries) back to those situations. I try to prepare myself the best I can in those situations, but you’re not feeling good, and maybe your body’s not perfectly aligned because you’ve been travelling and sleeping in different beds. I cramped up (in Florida) and I got myself in a situation where something had to give.”

Miller emphasized that this injury wasn’t nearly as serious as the torn knee ligaments that caused him to miss six weeks and 22 games late last season. But for the second time in nine months, he’s trying to regain timing, confidence and his place in the net.

“Things happen,” he said. “It’s the same way you approach a game. If you get scored on, you keep competing. It’s the same situation with an injury. Every injury is an opportunity to learn about yourself.”

And for somebody else to play, and have others learn about that guy.

This is a MUCH better article than the OP's. More quotes, more even tempered, less bias and less home made hockey clichés.

The OP's article reads like he is  trying to fill a high school or college word count.  I could write the same thing in 1/2 the words. And as all of my school teachers stressed, "If you can say it in less words, say it in less words".

I really wonder what the OP means with the second to last paragraph, it seems like word fill.

I would give that article a c+ at the high school level, and a c- at the college level.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Just read it. Great article. I totally agree with the fact that Miller is done. He should be, as you said in the article, relegated to back up duties for the remainder of the season. Benning has given McCann, Virtanen, Hutton, and Biega nice long looks based on their performances, the same should be applied to how great Markstrom has been.

He is, by far, the better goalie on the Canucks roster, and should be given the starting position. It makes perfect sense. And then they can offload Miller to a desperate team, and hopefully Benning never makes such a horrible acquisition ever again.

IMO signing Miller was the right thing to do.  The money paid - not so much.  Miller is a good goalie, very good and if you were in Benning's position with Eddie Lack and Markstrom having limited NHL experience, you probably would have done the same thing.  I was not a Miller fan when he came last season but his play and overall attitude have changed my mind.  Anyway it is not forever and I believe you will see Markstrom getting more playing time based on what he has done so far this season.

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

This is a MUCH better article than the OP's. More quotes, more even tempered, less bias and less home made hockey clichés.

The OP's article reads like he is  trying to fill a high school or college word count.  I could write the same thing in 1/2 the words. And as all of my school teachers stressed, "If you can say it in less words, say it in less words".

I really wonder what the OP means with the second to last paragraph, it seems like word fill.

I would give that article a c+ at the high school level, and a c- at the college level.

This is CDC, the OP gets an A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++:frantic:

4 minutes ago, Longtime Fan said:

IMO signing Miller was the right thing to do.  The money paid - not so much.  Miller is a good goalie, very good and if you were in Benning's position with Eddie Lack and Markstrom having limited NHL experience, you probably would have done the same thing.  I was not a Miller fan when he came last season but his play and overall attitude have changed my mind.  Anyway it is not forever and I believe you will see Markstrom getting more playing time based on what he has done so far this season.

Miller is no slouch. But he's in his mid thirties, and earning way too much based on that. I am excited for the Markstrom era to officially begin though.

1 hour ago, Toni Zamboni said:

post the article in the op thread so its not just click bate for that website, if you want us to read it.

here is the article:

That's worse than his one yesterday, although I did only read until he blamed Miller for the second goal saying he had no traffic in front. I understand some mistakes in the previous article but to miss what was talked about right away in the replay and multiple times on post games reviews as a tip and then throw blame down on a goalie who played pretty well for us when Markstrom wasn't ready yet until recently?! I mean come on...

It's pretty clear he's just trying to get hits for his own articles as well.

I thought Miller was solid last night and I cant really fault him for any of those goals. First was an Edler meltdown followed up by a great skill goal on the 2 on 1. Those happen. Second goal was all on the porcelain princess. Third one is a goal we've seen all too many times this year with a guy right on the doorstep and Bartowski spinning in circles wondering what just happened.

Miller is still a top goalie but is starting to show his age. Like any veteran player whose endurance is waning his playing time and ice time should be regulated to the point his performances are kept at the highest level. This is not rocket science nor is it a new idea and definitely does not present itself as a "controversy". I am sure there are plenty of players who might be in denial of their diminishing skills and might not be happy about less playing time and or limelight, but that is a different story all together.

2 hours ago, Luongo4life14 said:

Markstrom's stock just keeps rising don't you think? I mean Miller just doesn't play like a $6 million goalie:

http://thehockeywriters.com/ryan-miller-returned-but-canucks-struggled-immensely/

I do some writing for The Hockey Writers and recently published this article. Would love the CDC reaction to my thoughts. All opinions expressed in the article are of my own and not indicative of THW as a whole. 

Some preface.... I am not a Miller fan, never have been. I can't understand what the management or fan base sees in him.

There aren't many that do seem worth the salary they are making.

Don't rush the new goalies!

I see Markstrom getting more and more starts - but Miller is number 1.

2 hours ago, Luongo4life14 said:

Some preface.... I am not a Miller fan, never have been. I can't understand ...

But Once again Miller wasn’t able to make the big saves when he needed to. In fact when Karl Alzner netted the Capitals second goal of the game Miller was visibly frustrated at his own players, but had only himself to blame for not making a stop on a slapshot from the point with no traffic in front.

$&!#e!

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

Miller failed to stop that second goal because it was deflected by Vrbata.

It was deflected 30 feet out and fluttered in.  Miller simply mis-played it. He was distracted by the Baertschi incident as evidenced by his behavior afterw2ard.  Not a stellar moment for a $6M NHL starter.

Miller is definitely a number 1 but Marktrom is too imo. Marky might even be better. The only reason Miller is starting is cause of his salary. If JB can ship Miller out, he should. Highly doubt anyone gonna bite at the 6 mill cap hit. 

It all comes back to free agency 2 years back. The contract given to Miller was a year too long. Shoulda been 2 years. 

22 minutes ago, Heretic said:

There aren't many that do seem worth the salary they are making.

Don't rush the new goalies!

I see Markstrom getting more and more starts - but Miller is number 1.

Markstrom will eventually take over #1 duties. Miller for the time being is #1 though. 

I wonder if the team continues to decline, whether Benning would consider trading Miller at the Trade Deadline. 

Sorry OP but your article reads like it was written by a hack blogger as opposed to an insightful journalist.

I really have a problem with this comment;

"Just because the management made a massive mistake by handing an over-the-hill goalie close to $20 million doesn’t mean you have to play him".

The facts are the facts. Miller came to Vancouver to provide stability to the back end and provide mentorship to the younger goalies. At the time of Miller's arrival, there was only Markstrom and Lack as goalies for Vancouver. Vancouver took a calculated gamble to waive Markstrom back to the farm for another year of development which has paid off and Lack proved a decent backup but not a reliable go to guy.

Eddie Lack truly is not the goalie that many have made him out to be, his poor season this year and late season fade last year certainly should be evident of this . Markstrom has come a long way the last two years but a small sample size of a short stretch of games does not make him a starter. It may if one were the GM of Edmonton or another perennial bottom feeder but the Canucks are better than that. This team has needed Miller this year and last year, perhaps his day is coming at the trade deadline but without him this team would not have had a playoff season last year and would be a whole lot worse now, albeit there are some that would like to see that but I am not one of them.

miller is decent but our dcorp is truely our major problem    marky and bachman  would be a decent tandem. I say trade miller retain 3 mill  im sure a few teams need a decent goalie  and benning said last yr teams were calling about miller  get a few draft pucks  and we are laughing 

Archived