The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Miller Still Be Considered #1? (Article)

Luongo4life14

9 minutes ago, TU90 said:

Great contribution, would read again. 

Markstrom is looking good, he just needs to work on his glove hand. 

Stellar effort yourself. I'm honoured you used more than half your post to quote and reply to me. Next time, just put me on ignore if that's your contribution please.

I guess you missed my other reply when someone did post the article for us to read for the OP. I'll save you the time, it wasn't a very good read.

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

miller is decent but our dcorp is truely our major problem    marky and bachman  would be a decent tandem. I say trade miller retain 3 mill  im sure a few teams need a decent goalie  and benning said last yr teams were calling about miller  get a few draft pucks  and we are laughing 

Maybe the teams calling on Miller were only calling to laugh at JB for signing the guy to such a big number?

31 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

miller is decent but our dcorp is truely our major problem    marky and bachman  would be a decent tandem. I say trade miller retain 3 mill  im sure a few teams need a decent goalie  and benning said last yr teams were calling about miller  get a few draft pucks  and we are laughing 

Too much. Would accept them eating 1~2 mill, if the deal's right.

Be nice if some Cal team ran into 'tender-misfortune, & then came callin'...

51 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

3 mil? Not sure if serious...

Keep Miller as the number one this season while giving Markstrom a decent amount of games. 

Next season start the transition into Markstrom being the starter and trade Miller at the deadline.

[/armchairgm] 

The first 2 goals could of easily gone in vs markstrom too. Miller was stellar prior to getting warn down so if u ask me. You are drawing your own conclusions of what u want too see.

We are just too use to goalie controversies but. If I was a writer wanting to make a name for myself. Creating an article like this might be a good way.  Not that I'm accusing you of that but too be fair u either weren't paying attention al season or you altering the narritive for your own delusion or benefit.

Terribly inaccurate.

It's important to remember that it took Schneider about 3.5 seasons to supplant Luongo. 

Markstrom has had previous NHL experience in Florida, but he's only played like an elite guy for this one. It's also important to consider playoff performance. If the Canucks do manage to sneak into the playoffs it'll be interesting to see if Miller can keep the #1 job.

22 minutes ago, guntrix said:

3 mil? Not sure if serious...

why wouldnt i be serious  it frees up 3 mill in cap  plus prust,vrbata, hamhuis coming off the books  and possible higgins, burrows being bought out traded waived  gives benning a huge bunch of cap to get some elite talent and redo the d corp

21 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

why wouldnt i be serious  it frees up 3 mill in cap  plus prust,vrbata, hamhuis coming off the books  and possible higgins, burrows being bought out traded waived  gives benning a huge bunch of cap to get some elite talent and redo the d corp

It seems like a great idea now but later on when we're in a cap crunch, we're gonna lament retaining 3 million on Miller.

Seriously, when's the last time a team has retained 3 million in a goalie trade?

Good teams always play the players that give them the best chance to win. But this is the Canucks. As JB made 3 fatal mistakes of signing a 6 million dollar Miller, a 2.5 million Prust and a 2.65 million Dorsett, WD will play all 3 even though it would mean losing most of the games, just to save his job and JBs. Fans do suffer watching these guys play.

6 hours ago, SwedeHockey said:

Well said. When JB stated that he thought Markstrom still has the potential to be an elite netminder, I was shocked, but not any more. 

To think we have Demko just a couple steps behind in the pipeline! You said it first, the future is looking bright.

I think in all positions from young forwards to defensement to goalies we are looking much better than people thought we'd look.  When we have this many young players in the lineup still win games with all the injuries we've had and might make the playoffs, I think we have reasons to be very optimistic. 

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Just read it. Great article. I totally agree with the fact that Miller is done. He should be, as you said in the article, relegated to back up duties for the remainder of the season. Benning has given McCann, Virtanen, Hutton, and Biega nice long looks based on their performances, the same should be applied to how great Markstrom has been.

He is, by far, the better goalie on the Canucks roster, and should be given the starting position. It makes perfect sense. And then they can offload Miller to a desperate team, and hopefully Benning never makes such a horrible acquisition ever again.

It wasnt a horrible aquisition at all. We got virtanen with the Lack/markstrom duo and It was Miller or Hiller and i was glad it was miller. It is a bad cap hit but were rebuilding so it dont matter

fwiw, WD stated quite clearly on his pre-game interview on TSN 1040 that Miller is #1.

I know the discussion is whether he should be, but at this stage WD is clear and Miller is #1.  I don't really have a problem with Miller being #1 this season (would prefer to see how Markstrom does long term but am ok either way) but really hope WD's usual goalie deployment changes so we see the backup before the 2nd half of the next back to back.

Archived