The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Miller Still Be Considered #1? (Article)

Luongo4life14

Marksatrom has done his job and shown he is a very capable Goaltender, and can most likely step into the starting role. He's just waiting for the green light. The job is now Ryan Millers job to lose. He is still the number 1 goaltender. However, his play has to improve, and improve immediately. If he can manage to play well, he will remain, if not, Markstrom will take it. We have seen Markstrom can be good. It's up to Miller to elevate his play again and match him. That's exactly why you need two good goaltenders to push one another to be great.

Not sure why we even need to start this thread/train of thought.  Miller was hurt and Marky is a fantastic back up who will one day take the helm.  But let's not do this again, shall we?  It's pointless.

At this point, instead of pondering why don't we celebrate the fact that we can do this....have our goaltender out/injured and know the guy in place to step in is fully capable. 

I wish the media bloggers, fans would allow these guys to play their game without pitching one teammate against another.  It's counterproductive.

i like how Markstrom has played but i think its a bit early to make him the new #1. He hasn't even played 20 games for us yet. Lets see how he does after 30 or 35 games and see if he is still performing at the same level. Lots of players start off well but drop off as fatigue and travel wear them down over the season.

7 hours ago, Baggins said:

Watch it again and see where that DEFLECTION goes. He's not faster than a speeding bullet. He's going down to make a save along the ice and it's deflected to the top corner. That's a millisecond to change what you're doing. Good luck with that dreamer. Goalies have trouble covering the top corners when it's a direct shot never mind when it's a deflected shot.

Yeah, it was a tough shot to save...regardless, he could have still moved his blocker LoL

I might be in a minority in agreeing with starting Miller against the Caps. Chances are they were going to lose no matter which goalie was playing so put the vet in who can take it psychologically. Have Markstrom, who is playing well, start against the team he was more likely to win against to keep his confidence up. 

12 minutes ago, Quoted said:

I might be in a minority in agreeing with starting Miller against the Caps. Chances are they were going to lose no matter which goalie was playing so put the vet in who can take it psychologically. Have Markstrom, who is playing well, start against the team he was more likely to win against to keep his confidence up. 

Except the likely result (which happened) ... Canucks losing to powerhouse Caps and beating mild Hurricanes ... helped fuel yet another goalie controversy.

It made more sense for Miller, on his first game back from injury, to take on the weaker team.  On the other hand, Markstrom was playing well and might have stolen one from the Caps.  Even if the Canucks lost, I doubt that it would damage his confidence.

11 hours ago, canuktravella said:

true ive sorta blocked thoughs yrs out  especially with the moore incident, messier and cloutier lidstrom flub in round vs wings            but  only reason we didnt win a cup with luo was our defense corp  so until we somehoe  draft a shay weber or lidstrom we wont win one 

1.14 Goals For per Game in the finals would tell me that lack of scoring was a bigger problem.

--re the OP, for this year, let Miller know that he gets 60% of the remaining starts this year, and 40-50% next year.

I would put it this way the value we got miller for at first was ok but this being his second season and his start to this Season showed that he was our legit #1. His durability suffered pretty quickly as he seemed to have gotten burned out pretty fast after that awesome start to the season. That being said we would have been better off keeping Lack and splitting the games evenly between them as the cap hit would of been more beneficial on picking up better defence. Miller was a good goalie but he is overpaid now I think the canucks should trade him for a NHL ready back up goalie to split games with Markstrom the canucks are inevitably going to go into full rebuild and staying the course may not bode well for them.

A #1 goalie in the NHL has to be able to play 3/4 of games and be consistent in his performance.  Miller is still a god goalie but has been frequently injured and lack the stamina to perform the role of a true #1.  He would be very effective playing 1/3 of games but at $6M no -one is going to do that.

so...talent-wise he can still be a number one but based on the actual job requirements, no, he is no longer capable of carrying the load.

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Not sure why we even need to start this thread/train of thought.  Miller was hurt and Marky is a fantastic back up who will one day take the helm.  But let's not do this again, shall we?  It's pointless.

At this point, instead of pondering why don't we celebrate the fact that we can do this....have our goaltender out/injured and know the guy in place to step in is fully capable. 

I wish the media bloggers, fans would allow these guys to play their game without pitching one teammate against another.  It's counterproductive.

Deb it's just like in American football...the QB gets injured, the backup is given a shot and does really well...controversy time...should this QB be a starter or could he be a starter on another team.

I really like your view...the backup DID what he was paid to do, hold down the fort while the starter was out....very few people ever really see this, and that's what starts controversys...it boggles the mind. A backup is suppose to be dependable because eventually he may be called upon.

Miller was never worth even 4 mil. He proved that when he lost in St.Louis. I dont know what Benning was thinking.. the fact we kept him instead of lack is a mystery that makes no sense at all. Miller is proving with his stats last year and this year that he is not a game changer like Luongo was and IS.. and were paying him more.. laughable. I can blame the defense a little bit , but when has miller stole us a game? I believe last time was last year against San Jose. its been over a year ..

5 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

Except the likely result (which happened) ... Canucks losing to powerhouse Caps and beating mild Hurricanes ... helped fuel yet another goalie controversy.

It made more sense for Miller, on his first game back from injury, to take on the weaker team.  On the other hand, Markstrom was playing well and might have stolen one from the Caps.  Even if the Canucks lost, I doubt that it would damage his confidence.

As many here have said, less controversy and more just two-goalie management.

Yes, Markstrom might have stolen one from the caps, but just as possible is getting shelled 8-1. We'll never know. Management and coaches always have the tough job in actually making the decision and not just speculating or second guessing (speaking generally, not to you specifically).

Famous words from somewhere: "Hope is not a strategy".

2 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

Miller was never worth even 4 mil. He proved that when he lost in St.Louis. I dont know what Benning was thinking.. the fact we kept him instead of lack is a mystery that makes no sense at all. Miller is proving with his stats last year and this year that he is not a game changer like Luongo was and IS.. and were paying him more.. laughable. I can blame the defense a little bit , but when has miller stole us a game? I believe last time was last year against San Jose. its been over a year ..

At the time, there wasn't enough evidence that Lack was a more secure No. 1 than Miller (lots of contrary opinions I know). As to his price tag, that's something of a different discussion.  Market value vs. worth vs. relative cap hit etc.  What is Burrows "worth" this season?

7 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

Outside of s recent uptick (which happens to all goalies) how's Lack doing this year bud? 

I might be in the minority here, but the media and fans expect their NHL team to win, that's the whole point of sports teams, so if one player is playing better then another and is giving said team the best chance to win on a daily basis then I think it's fair to be able to question who should be played more.

The coach's job is to put the very best team forward and though the obsession this city has with controversy and goalies is a bit extreme we want to win and if Markstrom gives us a better chance to win then we should play him. It's not about who's number one and who's number two it's about which goalie will give us the best opportunity to win period.

On January 16, 2016 at 10:12 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Pretty much hit the nail right on the head.

No need for controversy; instead, a celebration of great skills.

But the media...

This is why

Irbe, Essensa, Schneider, Lack, and Markstrom wer and are loved by the fans and Cloutier, Luongo and Miller were heavily criticized by them. The fans always think that the next Patrick Roy is sitting on the bench.

19 minutes ago, smokes said:

This is why

Irbe, Essensa, Schneider, Lack, and Markstrom wer and are loved by the fans and Cloutier, Luongo and Miller were heavily criticized by them. The fans always think that the next Patrick Roy is sitting on the bench.

Haha, aint it the truth.  You forgot Alex Auld... goalie of the future... who ended up on 6 other teams in the future!

What these silly fans don't get is that being a great backup does not always translate into a great starter.  Backups need to go through their due process before they are handed the starter's job.

Archived