The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Miller Still Be Considered #1? (Article)

Luongo4life14

On January 16, 2016 at 7:12 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Not sure why we even need to start this thread/train of thought.  Miller was hurt and Marky is a fantastic back up who will one day take the helm.  But let's not do this again, shall we?  It's pointless.

At this point, instead of pondering why don't we celebrate the fact that we can do this....have our goaltender out/injured and know the guy in place to step in is fully capable. 

I wish the media bloggers, fans would allow these guys to play their game without pitching one teammate against another.  It's counterproductive.

That is one way to look at it Deb.  

I don't think it is counter productive at all. This talk to push them 'against each other' is a good thing.  It creates competition.  That is a huge factor for any position. Let's be honest here. Miller is gone next year or the year after that.  I'd be excited with a fierce rivalry between the two goalies.  If one plays bad, the other cant wait for a chance to take his job.   They push each other to play at the top of their game.    

We are looking for wins, not friends.  

I would take one cup over a team of Eddie Lacks any day

Maybe its just me but I feel like Miller has been great this year, he was playing lights out for the first 15-20 games, making huge saves and great rebound control. Sure he has had a few bad games here and there but what goalie isn't going to go through a rough stretch? Overall he has kept us in the majority of games where teams have good sustained pressure in our zone and Miller would be making great saves.

Markstrom has played pretty good, but I have to say I do feel a little skeptical with his glove hand, he doesn't quite catch the puck all that smoothly, it seems to bounce out of his glove quite a fair bit. Aside from that Marky is incredibly athletic and explosive

14 minutes ago, Longtime Fan said:

I would say that today's effort and final result against the Islanders should put an end to all the Miller naysayers.  He was phenomenal and the reason the Canucks were in the game.  End of discussion.

The Luongo naysayers never stopped no matter how well he played either, probably the same people

On 15/01/2016 at 11:22 AM, Luongo4life14 said:

(SEE ARTICLE BELOW IN SECOND POST)

Markstrom's stock just keeps rising don't you think? I mean Miller just doesn't play like a $6 million goalie:

I do some writing for The Hockey Writers and recently published this article. Would love the CDC reaction to my thoughts. All opinions expressed in the article are of my own and not indicative of THW as a whole. 

Some preface.... I am not a Miller fan, never have been. I can't understand what the management or fan base sees in him.

http://thehockeywriters.com/ryan-miller-returned-but-canucks-struggled-immensely/

Nice timing bud

40 minutes ago, Longtime Fan said:

I would say that today's effort and final result against the Islanders should put an end to all the Miller naysayers.  He was phenomenal and the reason the Canucks were in the game.  End of discussion.

The problem with Miller in Vancouver has never been his top-level, it has been his inconsistency. No one can deny that he had a really good game today, but it doesn't change the fact that he could easily have a bad game next game. No one can possibly look at Millers numbers both this year (so far) and last year and say that he's been great overall, especially when you have in mind that he takes up a caphit of 6M. Again he had a great game, but it honestly doesn't change anything at all.

Are we feeling like we have the days of Luongo/Schneider back again, yet?

If Miller faulters or needs a break...Markstrom is up to the task..no worries now. Coach WD has the luxury of resting the guy who has any aches, flu or muscle spasms and can even use statistical knowledge to the team's advantage. 

Altho' Markstrom has earned a few more signifigant starts going forward...Miller ain't a cast-off - just yet. NHL Hockey 2016...bring it on!!!

3 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

Maybe its just me but I feel like Miller has been great this year, he was playing lights out for the first 15-20 games, making huge saves and great rebound control. Sure he has had a few bad games here and there but what goalie isn't going to go through a rough stretch? Overall he has kept us in the majority of games where teams have good sustained pressure in our zone and Miller would be making great saves.

Markstrom has played pretty good, but I have to say I do feel a little skeptical with his glove hand, he doesn't quite catch the puck all that smoothly, it seems to bounce out of his glove quite a fair bit. Aside from that Marky is incredibly athletic and explosive

He has one weakness and it has not been a regular problem, a few games really from what I've seen.  We have one the best goalie coaches in the league, he will change that weakness in a hurry trust me.  Other than that I would have to say he's been great.  He's getting over 30 shots a game on an average team this year and putting up great numbers comparable to some of the top tenders in the league. 

His stats are better than Millers by quite a bit actually and I'm sure we could nit pick about some of Millers weaknesses.  My opinion is actually opposite I think Miller has been good and Markstrom has been great.  I think Miller has played great games, but been good over all and I think Markstrom has played many great games and some good ones, but been great overall and the better goalie really.  

I guess time will tell what happens in the future.  I will say though Miller played a great game vs the Isles tonight and deserved the win solely, but as I said I don't he is as consistent as Markstrom, but also not as bad as people are saying too. 

2 hours ago, Smyl and Wave said:

The Luongo naysayers never stopped no matter how well he played either, probably the same people

3 hours ago, Longtime Fan said:

Sorry I wouldn't say end of discussion lol.  One great game does not overshadow everything.  The key word is "consistent" and Miller has not been consistently great, had some great games, some good games and some well questionable games.  He is all over the place for 6 million that is not enough.  Markstrom shows more consistency and makes less money.

Now if Miller has about 5 or 6 more games in say a 8-10 game time span like this, than myabe end of story :).   Until than I can't agree with you.  I will say I think the critism he has received is a bit over the top and he hasn't been as bad as a lot of people are saying, but my key point is I don't he's been as consistent as he should night in and night out.  

1 minute ago, vinnymack said:

Sorry I wouldn't say end of discussion lol.  One great game does not overshadow everything.  The key word is "consistent" and Miller has not been consistently great, had some great games, some good games and some well questionable games.  He is all over the place for 6 million that is not enough.  Markstrom shows more consistency and makes less money.

Now if Miller has about 5 or 6 more games in say a 8-10 game time span like this, than myabe end of story :).   Until than I can't agree with you.  I will say I think the critism he has received is a bit over the top and he hasn't been as bad as a lot of people are saying, but my key point is I don't he's been as consistent as he should night in and night out.  

If Miller does play lights out for the next 10 games, do we trade him and Marky gets to carry the ball?

Archived