The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Miller Still Be Considered #1? (Article)

Luongo4life14

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Miller does play lights out for the next 10 games, do we trade him and Marky gets to carry the ball?

Its a tough one, is Marky ready for full time work goalies have proven in the past its not always something they are ready for playing night in and out.   I think he is ready myself, but you never can say for sure.   Miller does bring experience like him or hate him, which sometimes rubs off well on younger keepers.  (Luongo to Lack is a good example).

If we don't trade Miller he will still be valuable for leadership even if Markstrom ends up claiming the job.   But if we can get something that is going to really help our team in the future than I think it's a no brainer, especially if Millers value goes high because of great play, because who knows if it will remain.

Let's face facts if we make the playoffs chances are no matter who is in net we don't make it far and if we did it would be a cinderella story.  Management should be thinking more long term and next few seasons if trading Miller will make a big difference towards that, I think it needs to be done.   Just my opinion though.  

6 minutes ago, Ruxin'sVinegarStrokes said:

He's a good goalie.  When he plays LESS! He played well to start the season then saw his save percentage drop month by month.  He comes back from injury rested and plays well.  If Willy can't notice this point by now then he needs to go.  Platoon them just like what Dallas has been doing with Lehtonen and Niemi.

I agree with this. I hope Markstrom's play will give WD the confidence to at least give Miller a break once and awhile. I also hope Miller doesn't have to play in both back-to-back games, Markstrom should get one of those.

Yes, Miller should stay the number 1 goalie.  Marky will get his shot at number 1 either next year or the year after.  We are blessed to have two solid goalies.  Miller was unbelievable against the Islanders and solid against the Caps.  

Miller had an excellent game vs NYI... perhaps his best of the season.

Markstrom's last game was nearly as good.

So what's to complain about?

These guys should be alternated, or played 60/40.

A lot of those screaming for Miller to sit now, or screaming about how he should have been traded last year are forgetting the beginning of the season, when Markstrom's first few starts were extremely shaky.

Miller has allowed Rollie Melanson to work with Markstrom, to build up his skills and confidence in a protected environment.  Now he is ready to play more games.  But to suggest he is already the #1 is just as mistaken as suggesting he could start the year as #1.

Will Miller be traded at some point?  Of course he will.  And he will give the Canucks something good in return, hopefully a couple good young defense prospects or perhaps a younger blue chipper.

But that will be when the Canucks either fail to make the playoffs, or if they do make it, in the off season.  Unless some incredible deal comes up... but right now I don't see a lot of teams with a goaltending crisis.

In the meantime fans should relax and enjoy the show these two very talented keepers are putting on.

4 minutes ago, Nuck-Shot said:

Depth..... lets kick up a fuss this is unnaceptable! ./eyeroll

Canucks fans usually have to whine about something, whether its too much depth or little depth. I'd say the goaltending on this team has been the only constant the last decade, everything else has been shifting up or down whether its depth on D or depth on offense. 

Thank you Buzzsaw, this thread title needs to be the headline of a decent newspaper.

It's starting to become a tradition for Canucks fans and media to create this mystical goalie controversy. I don't know why people feel the need to make up crap like that. I guess they just enjoy tv drama. Once Miller retires and Demko arrives, watch people create another goalie controversy with him and Markstrom.

Enjoy the luxury of having two solid goalies. There are teams that are dying to find one decent starter. 

27 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

A lot of those screaming for Miller to sit now, or screaming about how he should have been traded last year are forgetting the beginning of the season, when Markstrom's first few starts were extremely shaky.

Miller has allowed Rollie Melanson to work with Markstrom, to build up his skills and confidence in a protected environment.  Now he is ready to play more games.  But to suggest he is already the #1 is just as mistaken as suggesting he could start the year as #1.

Will Miller be traded at some point?  Of course he will.  And he will give the Canucks something good in return, hopefully a couple good young defense prospects or perhaps a younger blue chipper.

But that will be when the Canucks either fail to make the playoffs, or if they do make it, in the off season.  Unless some incredible deal comes up... but right now I don't see a lot of teams with a goaltending crisis.

In the meantime fans should relax and enjoy the show these two very talented keepers are putting on.

Lets just send this post over and over to the media since ultimately I feel like they are the ones who keep perpetuating this non-existent controversy and then many people just follow their lead.

I agree people should just relax and enjoy when the team is winning.. unless theyre still hung up on the team tanking. Personally I'm still a bit on the fence as getting a great pick at the draft could be a huge deal.. fortunatlely I'm not as split with our goaltending situation and I'm with you. Let them go 60/40 for the rest of the season. if one of em starts running hot, give him en extra game or two from time to time.

56 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Willie has openly admitted that Miller gets overplayed.  Hopefully now he has the confidence in Markstrom to at least get them to a 2:1 game ratio.  3:1 or 4:1 and he's going to get overworked and injured again.

Good.

Markstrom should at the very least have started in 30 games by seasons end.

46 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Miller has aloud Melanson to work with Markstrom?.  That's his job :).  I agree though Miller played very good at beginning of the season, but at some point he stopped being consistent.  At that point Markstrom picked up his play and has been consistent pretty much ever since putting him great numbers as it stands right now better than Millers.  

None the less I still like Markstrom better than Miller and feel he will be a lot better than Miller ever was.  Regardless of who is better or playing better the only thing I care about is that we are getting good goaltending that is winning us games and no matter who is in net that's all that really matters.

Now if we make the playoffs with or without Miller on the team, no what goalie we have our chances in the playoffs are pretty slim lol.  No matter who is in net they can't win a 7 game series with the amount of shots our team has been giving or steal every game for us.

Your definitely right though about the market for goaltenders.  Right now it seems just about every team has a starter that is playing good or good enough that they likely won't go out and get another one.  The only two teams I think would consider going after Miller might be Carolina who is going to lose Ward after this season as his contract is up and likely won't resign him and with Lack not playing very good they may want to consider other options.  Than Arizona with Mike Smith being kind of up and down with his play.  Other than that I doubt there are any other teams looking for a goalie.  

1 hour ago, Smyl and Wave said:

Horvat's 6 game point streak was enough to overshadow his 27 game goalless streak so why not ;)

It's completely different with goalies :).  A goalies play effects whether or not a team wins or loses more than a player does, so obviously expectations are higher and consistency is expected or needed a lot more.  Plus Horvat is much younger than Miller and for a young player to hit a slump its also more acceptable or treated as more acceptable.  I think his streak is over shadowing his goal-less drought as well because he was getting lots of chances just not getting the goals, so people expected it would turn around at some point. 

I'm not making excuses for anyone, just saying I think unfortunately when a goalie is not consistent compared to a player its normally a bigger impact on your team, there fore they receive more judgement

1 hour ago, sockeye said:

Yes, Miller should stay the number 1 goalie.  Marky will get his shot at number 1 either next year or the year after.  We are blessed to have two solid goalies.  Miller was unbelievable against the Islanders and solid against the Caps.  

I would say Miller should be number on only a 2-1 game ratio. Markstrom has deserved a start every 3rd game at least with how he has played.  Not only that a well rested Miller will likely be a better playing Miller. 

Also at any point if Miller is not playing consistent enough and Markstrom is, you should roll with the hotter goalie and than the situation should be reverse Markstrom 2 games Miller 1.  That's the best scenario or way to handle it I think. 

Archived