The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Miller Still Be Considered #1? (Article)

Luongo4life14

Miller rested = good.

Miller overplayed = bad.

Start of the season proved it when Miller got to a hot start then trailed off when the games started stacking. Keep in mind Marky Mark was injured early in the season but WD kept going with Miller when he got back and wouldn't you know Miller got injured.

I hope WD plays Markstrom in more games. That way we always have 2 fresh goalies.

41 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

No, no we don't "clearly" have two number ones. We have a great back up and a good starter. Miller being the Starter.

I'll never understand the mentality of some people on here that as soon as the team gets a functioning galie tandem working, it either needs to be a controversey or one of them needs to be traded. So, yes, we have a strong but no longer elite veteran goalie as a starter and a strong up and coming younger backup to take over eventually (but not this year). This is a good situation.

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Miller had an excellent game vs NYI... perhaps his best of the season.

Markstrom's last game was nearly as good.

So what's to complain about?

These guys should be alternated, or played 60/40.

A lot of those screaming for Miller to sit now, or screaming about how he should have been traded last year are forgetting the beginning of the season, when Markstrom's first few starts were extremely shaky.

Miller has allowed Rollie Melanson to work with Markstrom, to build up his skills and confidence in a protected environment.  Now he is ready to play more games.  But to suggest he is already the #1 is just as mistaken as suggesting he could start the year as #1.

Will Miller be traded at some point?  Of course he will.  And he will give the Canucks something good in return, hopefully a couple good young defense prospects or perhaps a younger blue chipper.

But that will be when the Canucks either fail to make the playoffs, or if they do make it, in the off season.  Unless some incredible deal comes up... but right now I don't see a lot of teams with a goaltending crisis.

In the meantime fans should relax and enjoy the show these two very talented keepers are putting on.

I don't know about this.  Miller is old, expensive and likely not an upgrade to teams that are in a playoff position.  You'd have to find a team that is competitive and has cap space.  Unlikely.

4 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

A lot of those screaming for Miller to sit now, or screaming about how he should have been traded last year are forgetting the beginning of the season, when Markstrom's first few starts were extremely shaky.

Miller has allowed Rollie Melanson to work with Markstrom, to build up his skills and confidence in a protected environment.  Now he is ready to play more games.  But to suggest he is already the #1 is just as mistaken as suggesting he could start the year as #1.

Will Miller be traded at some point?  Of course he will.  And he will give the Canucks something good in return, hopefully a couple good young defense prospects or perhaps a younger blue chipper.

But that will be when the Canucks either fail to make the playoffs, or if they do make it, in the off season.  Unless some incredible deal comes up... but right now I don't see a lot of teams with a goaltending crisis.

In the meantime fans should relax and enjoy the show these two very talented keepers are putting on.

Markstrom 60% Miller 40%

But for the playoffs, ride the hot hand.

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I don't know about this.  Miller is old, expensive and likely not an upgrade to teams that are in a playoff position.  You'd have to find a team that is competitive and has cap space.  Unlikely.

Pretty much this. I think the op is kinda dreaming to think we will get a blue chipper for Miller.

5 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Miller rested = good.

Miller overplayed = bad.

Start of the season proved it when Miller got to a hot start then trailed off when the games started stacking. Keep in mind Marky Mark was injured early in the season but WD kept going with Miller when he got back and wouldn't you know Miller got injured.

I hope WD plays Markstrom in more games. That way we always have 2 fresh goalies.

I remember a time when kids and adults alike cared about the game, the player and their performance as players and legends-to-be. Now it's mostly about salary and corsi.

Sad.

If JB has an offer for Miller at the deadline I think he should be opportunistic and take it. It would be risky but if the offer is good enough to offset the risk you do it. A back up would obviously have to come the other way. But I see this being fairly unlikely for a couple of reasons: Miller's "tradeability", JB/TL competitive desire to make the playoffs, what the goalie trade market will fetch, the capspace that competitive teams have remaining that also need a goalie. Maybe Montreal if Price is put on IR and is out long term, though they would have to shed Millers contracct in the summer as well. Tough to find a suitable trading partner. JB did mention there was interest in Miller last summer so maybe there is something out there but I think he will be a Canucks into next season and possibly walk in the summer of 2017. It would be nice to get something for him though, in a perfect world after this season/playoffs if we make it.

I think we stick with Miller/Markstrom and ride the hot hand, which is totally fine.

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Lol, so true.

Are Canucks fans doomed to repeat history again and again?

You would think fans would learn.

I personally loved Luongo when he was here, and he was always the number 1 for me. I mean he did have a great guy behind him in Schneider, but Lack was never close to Luongo. Neither is Miller right now IMO, his best days are behind him, even though he will eventually have games like this. I don't know about other people who cheer for the backup because of some kind of fetish, but i don't. Again, are people really gonna argue that Miller is not inconsistent? I think it's pretty funny that people are saying "THIS IS WHY MILLER IS OUR NUMBER 1 !!" after one single game. It's not like Markstrom also had a great game like 2 days ago (or did he?). Who knows, Markstrom might not be able to handle the number 1 job right now at fulltime, but he's definitely earning more starts than people might have thought heading into the season. And Miller is certainly not able to handle playing 60 games anymore by delivering good results.

1 hour ago, Canuck_Fan_52 said:

Canucks have 2 solid goaltenders who should be posting more wins if not for the lack of depth on the offense. 

If any area is lacking depth it's that AHL d core we're icing.

There's a clear plan in place with Miller/Markstrom and I'm excited to see how it plays out. It's clear that next season the 60/40 flip will likely be Markstrom at 60 and Miller at 40... barring injuries of course. 

If there's any goalie that needs to be traded, it's Richard Bachman. He's not that good and already looks to be usurped on the depth chart by Joe Cannata in Utica. With the likely additions of Jackson Whistle (who will have completed his WHL career and looks destined to sign an entry deal with the Canucks after 4 solid years with Kelowna) and Thatcher Demko likely signing at the end of the season too (or. that's what Benning wishes happens with Demko this offseason)... we'll have some nice young Goalie depth in Utica to develop.

10 hours ago, Quoted said:

I'll never understand the mentality of some people on here that as soon as the team gets a functioning galie tandem working, it either needs to be a controversey or one of them needs to be traded. So, yes, we have a strong but no longer elite veteran goalie as a starter and a strong up and coming younger backup to take over eventually (but not this year). This is a good situation.

That's just the state of homer fans who immediately want to anoint the next best thing as the current best thing based on a small sample size. That works inversely as well, where someone doing poorly is ready to be thrown to the wolves at a moments notice as well.

Thankfully not all fans are this way, and there are plenty who realize Markstrom getting a run of games and doing well is a long way from him displacing Miller as the #1. It's a good enough reason to want him to start getting more games however, particularly with Miller's time here getting shorter by the day.

13 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Wouldn't this be the perfect time to insult one of them and then trade the other?

Archived