The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Spin on Sedin Perceptions

McIlhargey the Lesser

I don't think it's about how deep the wallet is at all. I've never heard or read of a Sedin hater mocking their salaries, because quite frankly, most haters are at least intelligent to realize that they'll never see that kind of money in their lifetime. The Sedins are both making good coin for their production, let's not get that twisted.

Their arguments are always the same: they're not tough, they're "sisters", they choke during the playoffs.  

It will be interesting to see how many Leafs fans shut their mouths now that they have their own Swedish "sister" in their franchise.

5 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

I don't think it's about how deep the wallet is at all. I've never heard or read of a Sedin hater mocking their salaries, because quite frankly, most haters are at least intelligent to realize that they'll never see that kind of money in their lifetime. The Sedins are both making good coin for their production, let's not get that twisted.

Their arguments are always the same: they're not tough, they're "sisters", they choke during the playoffs.  

It will be interesting to see how many Leafs fans shut their mouths now that they have their own Swedish "sister" in their franchise.

They haven't choked in the playoffs but over their career they haven't lit it up like a lot of stars have.

1 hour ago, chickenman92 said:

Lol, doubt the it. I'm not sure the Sedins have ever taken much of a hometown discount. Maybe a couple 100k in they last deal, but they made that up with the deal they're on now. 

I'm sure NHL players don't look down on Keith for only making 5.5 million, even though he's easily the best D-man on the planet.

Of course they took hometown discounts. It's pretty obvious if you compare where they are on the NHL pay scale to their production. For example when they won their Art Ross trophies for scoring more points than anyone else in the NHL, over 40 players got more money than they did.

2 hours ago, McIlhargey the Lesser said:

Does the fact that the Sedins have taken home-town discounts in all of their contracts have something to do with their reputations?

Different people have different reasons for having or lacking respect and that may or may not have played a part.  I don't think it's a major factor, though.

Imo the lack of respect around the league for the Sedins is that they don't fit the NHL culture.  They aren't tough in the way hockey people are used to.  They don't fight, they don't slash, they don't spear, they for most of their career didn't stand up for themselves.   They don't succeed by intimidating the opposition, by being big and strong, by hitting, by being fast skaters or having hard shots or even by getting people off their game by trash talking. 

They have succeeded with strengths that include intelligence, hard work, character incredible endurance despite just playing hockey and in no way that people can see looking at them being imposing physically.

Some don't understand it. Among those that do, to most people the Sedin strengths aren't things they're using to valuing highly.  They don't rock'em and they don't sock'em.  They just play hockey at a very high level.

The Sedins are just different. 

We Canuck fans have been lucky.

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

well i did admit to being a noob i,m also pretty new to computers as well. I think i,ll limit my input to game day threads as any other time people seem pretty touchy about bad typing and the topic changes from being that to bad spelling

Post all you want. Everyone has a opinion. This is a open discussion board. Do yo thing.

2 hours ago, chon derry said:

im a noob on cdc die head nux fan i got flamed and got called a troll when my very first post was critical of him being capt,but hear me out .i think all the disrespecting stuff all started with marchand and its just festerd ever since . anyways since there only going to be here 2 more years would,nd it be cool to see hendrick nominate bo as his replacement rather than management appointing a captain as in the lounge case .not sure if hendrick was another appointed captain too .but i think i would be a classy think along the the lines of all the habs traditional thingswell there still here so as to mentor bo in that new roll

Except Marchand speedbagged Daniel not the captain 

3 hours ago, chon derry said:

im a noob on cdc die head nux fan i got flamed and got called a troll when my very first post was critical of him being capt,but hear me out .i think all the disrespecting stuff all started with marchand and its just festerd ever since . anyways since there only going to be here 2 more years would,nd it be cool to see hendrick nominate bo as his replacement rather than management appointing a captain as in the lounge case .not sure if hendrick was another appointed captain too .but i think i would be a classy think along the the lines of all the habs traditional thingswell there still here so as to mentor bo in that new roll

You were ridiculed because you stated that no one on the canucks roster had qualitys to be a captain. Hank is a hell of a captain, thats why you were roasted on by everyone in that thread.

To address the question at hand, to sign the sedins you don't need 7 mil. You Need double, they are a pakage that takes up a huge chunk of cap. Not many teams at the time could have fit them, least not the ones that wanted them.

For the points and the actions of those two men we got a screaming deal, they will go down as some of (if not thee) greatest canucks ever.

37 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

You were ridiculed because you stated that no one on the canucks roster had qualitys to be a captain. Hank is a hell of a captain, thats why you were roasted on by everyone in that thread.

To address the question at hand, to sign the sedins you don't need 7 mil. You Need double, they are a pakage that takes up a huge chunk of cap. Not many teams at the time could have fit them, least not the ones that wanted them.

For the points and the actions of those two men we got a screaming deal, they will go down as some of (if not thee) greatest canucks ever.

i never mentioned any thing about what they make and yes i should have mentioned previously that i bo would have made a good replacement and i hope eventually it does not because i have it out for the sedins. i love the guys i just don't love them as captains hence my point of who's going to replace them 

Archived