The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Spin on Sedin Perceptions

McIlhargey the Lesser

5 hours ago, McIlhargey the Lesser said:

I was just looking at the Kopitar 8 year deal that he just signed, and in light of Denis Potvin's remarks about the Sedins the other night, it got me thinking.

Does the fact that the Sedins have taken home-town discounts in all of their contracts have something to do with their reputations? The fact that they are not paid 8 million plus for the type of contribution they have made? Do they look like something is lacking because of that? I wonder if this is especially true for the time when they were in their prime.

It's mentioned on occasion here on CDC when they have just negotiated new contracts what upstanding mensches they are for taking these home-town discounts, but I wonder if that makes others that are watching around the league think less of them than those of us who get to watch them night in and night out.

Paying them more wouldn't change what an asshat like Potvin thinks of them. 

5 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

Lol, doubt the it. I'm not sure the Sedins have ever taken much of a hometown discount. Maybe a couple 100k in they last deal, but they made that up with the deal they're on now. 

I'm sure NHL players don't look down on Keith for only making 5.5 million, even though he's easily the best D-man on the planet.

I think the Sedins are still on a bargain contract.  Didn't one of them lead the Western Conference in scoring last year?

Are you saying we should pay them more in order for the rest of the world to respect them?

You do realize they get lots of hate because they're good at what they do. Whenever you're in the spotlight, there will always be haters waiting for you to make a small mistake and blow it out of proportion. 

6 hours ago, chon derry said:

im a noob on cdc die head nux fan i got flamed and got called a troll when my very first post was critical of him being capt,but hear me out .i think all the disrespecting stuff all started with marchand and its just festerd ever since . anyways since there only going to be here 2 more years would,nd it be cool to see hendrick nominate bo as his replacement rather than management appointing a captain as in the lounge case .not sure if hendrick was another appointed captain too .but i think i would be a classy think along the the lines of all the habs traditional thingswell there still here so as to mentor bo in that new roll

I can see why you got flamed.

Sedins are disrespected because they don't fight, and play a cycle game EFFECTIVELY in a way that infuriates other teams fans... Marchand incident didn't help

I think the Sedins are slighted just because of the market. Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton are not the most known markets in NA. If the Sedins played in Toronto, or any American city, they would be hailed as the best players never to have won the Stanley Cup.

2 hours ago, Green Goblin said:

Are you saying we should pay them more in order for the rest of the world to respect them?

Does it seem like I'm saying that?

What I am saying, and what most of you don't seem to get, is that how much they make might have an impact on how people think of them on a subconscious level.

6 minutes ago, McIlhargey the Lesser said:

Does it seem like I'm saying that?

What I am saying, and what most of you don't seem to get, is that how much they make might have an impact on how people think of them on a subconscious level.

It's pretty stupid to judge people based on their salary. But then again that's how the rest of the world works. So I see the point you're making. Yes it is possible that people subconsciously undermine their value, but I think it's the media and social networks that ultimately affect people's perception of the Twins. I mean they are constantly bashed on the internet for no good reason. Just because they are different. Not because of the amount of their earnings.

8 hours ago, chon derry said:

well i did admit to being a noob i,m also pretty new to computers as well. I think i,ll limit my input to game day threads as any other time people seem pretty touchy about bad typing and the topic changes from being that to bad spelling

Sometimes CDCers can be too critical. But the  posts in this thread are mostly just some good-natured teasing. So don't take it too seriously. However, everyone appreciates it when posts have enough punctuation to be easily understood.

As for the substance in this thread:

1. I don't think the 7 million per year cap hit in the latest Sedin contract was a home town discount. Most GMs around the league probably thought it was a bit of an overpayment. As things have turned out the Sedins have been better than expected in the first two years of the deal but, given normal age-related decline, the last two years are not likely to look as good.

2. It might be true that letting Marchand get away with punching Daniel might have had an effect. I have tremendous respect for the Sedins, including their determination to play a clean game focusing on skill. But a lot of players were probably saying "why doesn't Daniel just clock him?" I am not expecting Daniel to get in fights or take on goons. He was probably expecting the referees to call a penalty and wanted to avoid getting a retaliation penalty, but standing up to "the rat" might have been the better thing to do. Every player the league must have seen the replay multiple times.

Probably way off topic, but I waited more than five years before posting because of the incredible negativity that members can unleash upon each other that has nothing to do with the Canucks- or hockey altogether.  So don't feel bad when you get flamed. it happens to most posters.  (Me now, most likely)

17 hours ago, chon derry said:

well i did admit to being a noob i,m also pretty new to computers as well. I think i,ll limit my input to game day threads as any other time people seem pretty touchy about bad typing and the topic changes from being that to bad spelling

Don't worry about it...you're still miles ahead of canucktravella.

Here is a spin on perception

For the life of me, I don't understand why they are not going back to the Sedins and Burrows. They grew up in the league on the same line together so long, had so much sucess with eachother. Both of the twins art rosses happened with Burrows on the wing. What is this need to put Dorsett and the cycle of many other players. Doesn't anyone remember how the Sedins dominated when they had Burrows on the wing? Man anyone imagine if the Sedins can recreate their chemistry with Burrows. Torts took Burrows off the line and the Sedins and Burrows had their worst years of their careers. Sedins ended up with a merry go round of linemates. There is nothing to lose, Burriws needs to be revived again and I am 99 percent sure putting Burr on the Sedin line will do it. We have the proven veterin line with Sedin-Sedin-Burrows (2 art ross trophy line, I know there is majic left) then the two kid lines, Sven-Horvat-Vrbata (good mentor), Etem-Vey-McCann/Virtanen (our two kid lines), Prust-Cracknell-Dorset (The grind you out don't mmess with our players line) Balance. 

Sorry, I know this is not the topic but didn't know where to put a rant.

Archived