The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Canucks Confused?

Lord Wolf

We've all been confused since we lost the Cup in 2011. We dominated every team until the Finals. That year reminds me of the time the Patriots literally won everything in the regular season and playoffs except the Super Bowl just a few years ago. 

The Canucks have won literally every award except for Norris, Vezina, and the Stanley Cup. It's pretty clear that in order to win a Cup, you need a franchise defenseman, and a franchise goalie. We have some good forwards in terms of prospects and young players, but we have a glaring hole in our defense right now. 

6 hours ago, Lord Wolf said:

While we were extremely lucky to beat Carolina last night, thanks to Markstrom, I see a disturbing pattern in the Canucks' overall play.  They do not always seem to be on the same page.  How many times to we see errant passes, Canucks running into each other, or being way out of position?  While anybody can make a mistake, the pattern is so consistent that I have to ask whether Desjardins, or the other coaches, are communicating clearly with the players.

The players are pros, so barring the occasional blunder (cough) Edler, they should have a pretty good handle on what's expected of them, but somehow, the bad passes and poor positional play continue.  What has to happen to make the team more cohesive?

The forward corps is actually quite good. There is a huge amount of talent, there. 

It's the defense. It's a disjointed mess that is leaderless. Edler is not the lynchpin you design a defense around. He needs to be moved so that a true number one can be acquired either through trade or FA acquisition and properly lead the blueliners. Hamhuis should also stay for continuity. He has earned that right as much as the Sedins have. 

7 hours ago, Lord Wolf said:

While we were extremely lucky to beat Carolina last night, thanks to Markstrom, I see a disturbing pattern in the Canucks' overall play.  They do not always seem to be on the same page.  How many times to we see errant passes, Canucks running into each other, or being way out of position?  While anybody can make a mistake, the pattern is so consistent that I have to ask whether Desjardins, or the other coaches, are communicating clearly with the players.

The players are pros, so barring the occasional blunder (cough) Edler, they should have a pretty good handle on what's expected of them, but somehow, the bad passes and poor positional play continue.  What has to happen to make the team more cohesive?

We have had to add new players to the line up, young players who never played with this team having to adapt.  Not to mention all the injuries we've had that make us play players we wouldn't normally like Weber who shouldn't even be in the line up.  

Expectations for our team weren't high even before injuries, now that we are doing pretty good with them, the Canucks are exceeding expectations right now.   With this many young players not all lines are going to gel or it will definitely take some time.  The important things are we are getting great keeping, Horvats line is playing really well and the Sedins have been good all year round, those three things are giving us a good chance every night to win.  

I'm not usually blunt and I get that you're new, but seriously what is the point of this thread? We have 6 rookies on our team and other then a few other players our veterans have checked out. We have a coach who's in his 2nd season ever and we have key players out injured. Not to mention a D-Corps made of AHL players with a few exceptions. What do you expect?

We're retooling on the fly, this is normal for teams going through this process. If we were completely cohesive and always in the right place at the right time and completely healthy we'd be 1st in the NHL by a wide margin.

I think the reasons are rather obvious, so just sit back and enjoy the ride, because in 2-3 years we will be a contender again and we'll look back at this time saying how worth while it was to go through all these growing pains.

6 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

This is idiocy. Vey's not going anywhere. He's been one of our best players since coming up. Why so quick to ship him in favor of Gaunce and Grenier? Gaunce and Grenier have both gone cold in Utica.

I believe JB traded for Etem to see if being reunited with Vey and Willie could resurrect his career. Small sample size so far, but they look great together! I know he's a little older and has a more complete resume, but in every game Vey has looked tons better than Shinkaruk did who spent his audition falling down and floating around the perimeter. Neither he nor Grenier sniffed a good chance, yet Vey looks dangerous three or four times a game.

Vey and Etem are a perfect third line duo, but Gaunce and Grenier are looking like fourth line fodder. Why do our fans overvalue our prospects and undervalue the choices made by other teams. Shink needs to stay in Utica, then go on a Horvat lifting and skatng program over the summer to gain about 15 pounds of muscle and stronger on his blades, because right now he's way too skinny.

Its like all the CDC posters waiting for Jensen to turn it around after the organization had clearly given up on him. Just because somebody's a high draft choice does not mean they'll be an NHL regular.

Also, whats up with people putting Pedan in the D rotation next year, but not Biega? Pedan was not ready to crack the lineup this year, but Biega's now a regular playing big minutes. Biega is better than Pedan, quicker, faster, and thinks the game at a faster pace. Biega is a 5-6 while Pedan is obviously a 7-8. Yeesh. Trust management to know who's ready and who isn't.

stop with the vey love your a homer this is a guy we waived earlier in yr  whos soft as butter. Gaunce and grenier will be great 3rd or 4th line players grittty big can score. Shinkaruk does need more muscle  but hes knocking on door and wins more battles in corners than vey ever wil.  pedan and biega  are gonna be decent 5/6 dmen   gritty and decent 

Of course the Canucks are confused. How can they not be confused. Virtanen just came back from WJC, Higgins goes to the Minors, Etem comes into a new situation, Miller comes back and akwardly takes the number one mantle away from the goalie who was mainly responsible for the Canucks recent resurgence and loses badly on his first game back then gives back the reigns in Carolina, The defence is weak and lacking in NHL savy. And on top of that Daniel is a "low life". Wouldn't you be confused? 

5 hours ago, smokes said:

Of course the Canucks are confused. How can they not be confused. Virtanen just came back from WJC, Higgins goes to the Minors, Etem comes into a new situation, Miller comes back and akwardly takes the number one mantle away from the goalie who was mainly responsible for the Canucks recent resurgence and loses badly on his first game back then gives back the reigns in Carolina, The defence is weak and lacking in NHL savy. And on top of that Daniel is a "low life". Wouldn't you be confused? 

Don't forget ridding ourselves of our handicap, Weber. Wait until our injured return and I am sure we will see improvements from here on out.

17 hours ago, Lord Wolf said:

I saw all of that from Carolina too.

It happens in all games, these players are human not robots.

What I did see and have started to see more of as we get some stability, is an extremely fast quick passing quick transition game we were promised.

Unfortunately we still have one or two players (Cracknell being one of them) who are embellishing and trying to look good on the puck instead of shipping it on. That does not help a speedy transition puck retention game.

7 hours ago, canuktravella said:

stop with the vey love your a homer this is a guy we waived earlier in yr  whos soft as butter. Gaunce and grenier will be great 3rd or 4th line players grittty big can score. Shinkaruk does need more muscle  but hes knocking on door and wins more battles in corners than vey ever wil.  pedan and biega  are gonna be decent 5/6 dmen   gritty and decent 

You need to actually watch the games, either that or brush up on what constitutes good play. Vey has been extremely good over the last 6/7 games, if you can't see and appreciate that then I wouldn't broadcast it.

10 hours ago, canuktravella said:

Maybe he deserves some respect after unfairly being the whipping boy for CDC last year. His rookie year stats will end up being better than any of our rookies this season. He has not looked soft as butter at all since coming up. He's winning board battles and face offs and going to the dirty areas. He got stronger over the summer and has obviously maintained it. Yes he got waived at the start of the season, so did a lot of good players around the league. He had a bad camp. JB was eager to keep Jake and Jared with the big club. Ultimately, I think it was a mistake as both players have looked way over their head (Jake mentally, Jared physically) at times this year. The trip to Utica meant that Vey returned with more fire. With Hank obviously hobbling, Vey has been our second best center over the past six or seven games. He is NHL ready. I hope that Gaunce and Grenier work out. At Grenier's age, his shelf life is getting close. With our lack of center depth in the organization, Grenier is much more likely trade bait than Vey. Vey looks to have a higher hockey IQ than Gaunce at this point.

I'm not a Vey fan boy, I was not impressed with him last season, but I didn't think he and Sbisa deserved to be savaged by CDC the way they were. I'm just saying that he's been much improved znd now looks like he belongs. Not sure why our "fans" are so hard on our young players. The internet sucks sometimes, anonymous bullies acting like they know more about hockey than men who have spent their lives at a high level in the game WD, JB, TL.

Archived