The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wrongly Profiled Tourist Considers Lawsuit

nucklehead

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/156392/Suspects-get-apology

The mayor of Vancouver has apologized to two men and a teenager singled out in an internal police bulletin for "suspicious behaviour" at a downtown shopping mall.

Gregor Robertson says it was a mistake that a document containing unblurred photos of three men described as "Middle Eastern" was leaked and that an online media outlet published the pictures on Thursday.

Surveillance photos of Mohammed Sharaz, his friend and his son taking pictures at Pacific Centre mall raised suspicions with shopping centre authorities, who relayed the information to the Vancouver Police Department.

Police quickly cleared the men, but Sharaz says he remained fearful they might be identified and attacked on the street.

Sharaz doesn't blame the police for the ordeal but says he is considering legal action against Vancity Buzz, the news and culture website that published the unblurred photos.

The trio are from the United Kingdom and are in Canada to receive specialized treatment for visual disabilities.

1 minute ago, nucklehead said:

Well, they are middle eastern Muslims, who are foreigners taking pictures of things at a mall tourists wouldn't do.  Gregor can apologize all he wants, but that doesn't mean these three guys weren't up to no good.  Hell they could be on an international watch list for all we know.  I don't care if they were three nuns from the holy shrine of Lourds.  Suspicious behaviour is just that, and should be followed up by the authorities.  

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Well, they are middle eastern Muslims, who are foreigners taking pictures of things at a mall tourists wouldn't do.  Gregor can apologize all he wants, but that doesn't mean these three guys weren't up to no good.  Hell they could be on an international watch list for all we know.  I don't care if they were three nuns from the holy shrine of Lourds.  Suspicious behaviour is just that, and should be followed up by the authorities.  

Good points, I'd normally agree with some of what you said, but in this case the guy is considering legal action against Vancity Buzz and NOT the police. They even said they were okay with the police investigating it. What is not okay about this whole situation, was that VB took these leaked and unblurred photos and published them on the internet for everyone to see, which potentially put these 3 tourist's well-beings at risk. Yeah, these 3's behaviour was suspicious, but should VB have published these photos unblurred...probably not.

What I find most troubling about this whole ordeal was the commentators on the Vancity Buzz article who deemed them guilty based on their facial expressions alone---- which they considered to be suspicious and 'up to no good'. It never ceases to amaze me how much people will speculate based on such little knowledge of a situation. Everyone thinks they can be a Sherlock Holmes, by taking one little piece of info and extrapolating it to prove a point.

To be honest, I read quite a few posters on CDC do this on a daily basis towards the thoughts, feelings, and motives of our hockey players, when really they have no god damn idea. I find this kind of posturing to be disrespectful to the humans beings involved. However, I have a lot more sympathy for someone like the father in the Vancity Buzz article than I do a pro making at least 500 grand a year to swing a stick. 

39 minutes ago, OptionalPants said:

Good point, I'd normally agree with you, but in this case the guy is considering legal action against Vancity Buzz and NOT the police. They even said they were okay with the police investigating it. What is not okay about this whole situation, was that VB took these leaked and unblurred photos and published them on the internet for everyone to see, which potentially put these 3 tourist's well-beings at risk. Yeah, these 3's behaviour was suspicious, but should VB have published these photos unblurred...probably not.

I bet it all just goes away.  I still have zero trust in these three.  Their acts were totally suspicious, and I hope they are watched closely back at home in England, and while they are here.  I expect the police will follow up with their friends here.

these guys are from England, not some backwards place.  They know their behaviour will cause suspicion- here and back home.  

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I bet it all just goes away.  I still have zero trust in these three.  Their acts were totally suspicious, and I hope they are watched closely back at home in England, and while they are here.  I expect the police will follow up with their friends here.

these guys are from England, not some backwards place.  They know their behaviour will cause suspicion- here and back home.  

So I guess you haven't read up on why they were taking pictures of random things like exits etc I hope they sue the crap out of vancity buzz... I know I would. 

I have no issues with them going after the website who leaked it. It turned out they were doing no wrong, so they're entitled to the lawsuit in my opinion.

It doesn't mean taking pictures of entrances and exits in a busy mall isn't suspicious as hell though.

It is what it is. Vancitybuzz took a risk and lost.

Lesson: Let the police do their job. It's not up to the media to try and identify these people.

That can only lead to some vigilante idiots out there going after them.

The police identified them and determined they were not a threat. The media was not needed in this situation. You gotta wonder how Van City Buzz obtained the photos though.

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lesson: Let the police do their job. It's not up to the media to try and identify these people.

The police identified them and determined they were not a threat. The media was not needed in this situation. You gotta wonder how Van City Buzz obtained the photos though.

Yeah and the Police said they were not meant to be released.  Police were just doing their everyday job and these guys also know that.  His son being a minor and his face wasn't blurred, could be an issue.

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I may be wrong, but I thought that it was someone in the police department that leaked it to the media. During the press conference, the police department guy said it would be too difficult to try and figure out who did it. 

Archived