The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wrongly Profiled Tourist Considers Lawsuit

nucklehead

4 minutes ago, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

It isn't? Why are people being blown up everywhere then?? How did they get their lives ruined? Nothing bad happened. They talked and sorted the situation out. Now these dicks wanna sue. to me that seems like their plan from the start. Act suspicious, be treated like "terrorist" then sue for money with the support of the PC's in this country. I dont have any sympathy for them. If i did what they did in their country. There would be no lawsuit. There would be no PC's protecting me. Id be in a jail cell then prolly stoned to death later for not being Muslim. 

People are being blown up everywhere! I mean just think of the last time someone got blown up in Vancouver!!! It was like...well...you know.

This is totally suspicious. TOTALLY. I agree with you, we should treat people like they treat people in the worst countries in the world, if you can't beat em join em amirite?

I'm going to leave this open for now as it keeps popping up and people do want to talk about it. Plus similar threads continue to spring up as well.

Just be aware that I've issued 4 warnings/suspensions to users in this thread already, so please try to keep the discussion civil and about the topic at hand and not other users.

10 minutes ago, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

Apology sure ya thats cool. But now to sue for millions? Maybe this was their plan all along? Like the Clock Boy. All i can say to them wanting money out of this is GET BENT. 

I contemplate a lot of things.  Have they done it yet?

Also, if you're in position to lose a lawsuit you've probably done something wrong. We can't plaster it all over the front page every time a middle eastern guy does something weird.

Now, if it's sanctioned by the proper authorities and in conjunction with more information - that's a different case.  This vigilante crap actually impedes the authorities from doing their jobs.

4 minutes ago, chon derry said:

originating from afganistan or pakistan one of the two.

How are those places Saudi Arabia? 

But I'll be honest - I misspoke.  The real argument is that this is Canada and we live by Canadian laws.  

The "if we were over there" argument holds no water.  If a person has fled a country rife with human rights abuses we are somehow entitled to treat them more poorly in some ridiculous double standard? 

That makes no sense.

37 minutes ago, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

It isn't? Why are people being blown up everywhere then?? How did they get their lives ruined? Nothing bad happened. They talked and sorted the situation out. Now these dicks wanna sue. to me that seems like their plan from the start. Act suspicious, be treated like "terrorist" then sue for money with the support of the PC's in this country. I dont have any sympathy for them. If i did what they did in their country. There would be no lawsuit. There would be no PC's protecting me. Id be in a jail cell then prolly stoned to death later for not being Muslim. 

And thats the kind of country you want to live in?

40 minutes ago, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

Also, are they not from the UK?

Been staying clear of these threads because well, they're a going show. Not much actual discussion just people being called "PC" and insults being hurled around.

Figured I'd chime in on this point. If there is merit for a lawsuit against Vancitybuzz and I would say there is. As they went out of their way to print leaked information. Labeled the suspects as "middle eastern men", not middle eastern looking but actually middle eastern. Nevermind that one of them has been mentioned to be a 14 year old boy. Creating a which hunt and making these men and a boy targets of mass hysteria and possible vigilantes. This was very misleading and irresponsible reporting. At the very least the editor of Vancitybuzz should resign.

That said, wouldn't the same law suit have merit in including the NHL.com who (correct me if I am wrong) owns this message board? This board went way beyond what Vancitybuzz did. This site hosted a thread titled "Vancouver Terror Threat" and hosted multiple images of these people numerous times.

In fact in the 4th post of the thread someone questioned the OP "Hoe exactly do we know that it's a "terror threat"?

To which the OP replied "Oh we know. We damn sure know exactly what it is. Lets not pussy foot around here."

Well Mr OP, how "damn sure" are you now, that you've maligned these men and a 14 year old boy as terrorists? Think they'll ever get that stink off?

If what Vancitybuzz did was misleading and irresponsible and possible worthy of legal action. Then what of CDC's behavior in allowing this to fester as long as they did? Keep in mind CDC is not someone's blog or a random thread on reddit. This is a site representing the National Hockey League.

I can only assume the powers that be share the same opinion that I do because that thread was re-titled and had all of the images of the men and boy scrubbed but only after it had been up nearly 20 hours. It was only closed when the OP came in and requested it be closed after VPD announced the situation reached an innocent conclusion. I did notice the OP never bothered to apologize to those he had already tried and convicted.

For the record, I am not in favor of anyone being sued here. I would prefer everyone let sleeping dogs lie, so to speak. In the future it would be nice if people could not jump to conclusions and think about the repercussions of their actions.

If anyone cares to discuss the legality of this beyond "PC" "libtard" "republicrap" let's hear it.

7 hours ago, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

Because terrorist attacks are being conducted left right center around the world by Islamic Moderate Rebels. Vancouver was also a target in an ISIS video. Id like to think that the security and police made half a effort before the next target goes BOOOOOOOM

yes, i agree. it makes sense to make the public aware of a potential threat to our security. 

but then you're also posting crap like muslims will be muslims. it's just a $&!#-post generalization.

The police did the right thing in this matter, I rather be cautious then unaware; thanks to ISIS, its not just Muslims who have become victims but its also Sikhs. Especially in America were hate crimes are on the rise. I myself is a indian duh, so yeah it will never be the same. This is the future for Indians and Muslims, thanks BUSH, but yeah these ppl suing is not the right thing. Police,media, were right in making people aware. They said why didn't blur the pictures? Well how the hell would the ppl be able to identify you if the picture is blurred. Welcome the 20th century where discrimination against brown ppl is at all time high, and if somehow Trump wins yikes, I don't know what will happen to the sikh and Muslim communities in America. This is the future, if we start to ignore these type of cautious events, eg some suspicious men taking pictures of entrances and exits then we are asking for it. I hate to say it but its time to be aware. 

edit, here is the problem I have with these type of ppl. They are drama queens, I bet every Indian who ever has travelled to America has been discriminated by the TSA, once they put me in a xray machine, once they sat me on a chair in a corner to gaurds came up and they called a officer. So when these ppl say there harmed I call them drama queens. Suck it up, what are we suppose to do? Not do anything? Sit back and rely on VPD to catch you? The VPD used the media because that was the only option left. Now these guys are whinning and acting like they are harmed. Let me rephrase this they are acting like they got harmed $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ because they see $$$$$$$$$$$$$$4 in this. They got appolgies was that enough? of course not a quick $$$$$$ and a chance to be drama queens so more Muslims can create more drama lol what's new. I'm not fan of these type of ppl, it was a honest mistake the appology was handed out, for gods sake the mayor himself appolgized but now they are scared and feel sad hahahaha! give me a break how ppl buy this stuff is funny. Freaking taking pictures of entrances and exits, then why the law does its job its called discrimination wtf are we suppose to do? 

15 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

The police did the right thing in this matter, I rather be cautious then unaware; thanks to ISIS, its not just Muslims who have become victims but its also Sikhs. Especially in America were hate crimes are on the rise. I myself is a indian duh, so yeah it will never be the same. This is the future for Indians and Muslims, thanks BUSH, but yeah these ppl suing is not the right thing. Police,media, were right in making people aware. They said why didn't blur the pictures? Well how the hell would the ppl be able to identify you if the picture is blurred. Welcome the 20th century where discrimination against brown ppl is at all time high, and if somehow Trump wins yikes, I don't know what will happen to the sikh and Muslim communities in America. This is the future, if we start to ignore these type of cautious events, eg some suspicious men taking pictures of entrances and exits then we are asking for it. I hate to say it but its time to be aware. 

edit, here is the problem I have with these type of ppl. They are drama queens, I bet every Indian who ever has travelled to America has been discriminated by the TSA, once they put me in a xray machine, once they sat me on a chair in a corner to gaurds came up and they called a officer. So when these ppl say there harmed I call them drama queens. Suck it up, what are we suppose to do? Not do anything? Sit back and rely on VPD to catch you? The VPD used the media because that was the only option left. Now these guys are whinning and acting like they are harmed. Let me rephrase this they are acting like they got harmed $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ because they see $$$$$$$$$$$$$$4 in this. They got appolgies was that enough? of course not a quick $$$$$$ and a chance to be drama queens so more Muslims can create more drama lol what's new. I'm not fan of these type of ppl, it was a honest mistake the appology was handed out, for gods sake the mayor himself appolgized but now they are scared and feel sad hahahaha! give me a break how ppl buy this stuff is funny. Freaking taking pictures of entrances and exits, then why the law does its job its called discrimination wtf are we suppose to do? 

Well said .

On 18/01/2016 at 9:01 PM, Alflives said:

I bet it all just goes away.  I still have zero trust in these three.  Their acts were totally suspicious, and I hope they are watched closely back at home in England, and while they are here.  I expect the police will follow up with their friends here.

these guys are from England, not some backwards place.  They know their behaviour will cause suspicion- here and back home.  

It was all some test & the VPD passed it.

So are we just completely ignoring that the VPD are claiming that they never officially released the pictures to the media? Assuming what they are saying is true, they are probably investigating the leak themselves. 

Also haven't we learned our lesson with crowdsourcing investigations? What about when Reddit had everyone convinced that the person who was involved in the Boston Marathon bombings was a kid named Sunil Tripathi? When in actuality the kid was missing and had been dead for weeks. His family faced threats, insults etc from the public. Who can blame these people for wanting to avoid a similar or potentially even worse fate?

The police are trained to handle these threats. The public is not. This newspaper created an unnecessary waive of panic probably for the credit in stopping this perceived threat. In doing so they endangered these innocent people and had everyone thinking of them as terrorists. I would like to see someone argue that this isn't irresponsible journalism. They absolutely deserve to get sued and I hope they have shell out some serious money for their stupidity.

Archived