The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The curious case of Benjamin Hutton

DefCon1

If the question is "is Hutton good enough to be a top pairing D" then you only need to look at our top pairing for your answer- he's going to be at least as good as Tanev imho. The real question though, is can he eventually turn into a top pairing D man on a good team, and the jury is still out on that one. The one thing I will say about Ben- the kids a beauty, he is exactly the kind of player you want on your team. He plays the other team hard, even when outmatched physically, and always has a smile on his face. He thinks the game pretty well from the other teams blue line back already and if he can step it up in the ozone I think he could be a solid 2-3 guy.

7 hours ago, hammertime said:

I hope not. We need a top pairing of that actually scares the opposition into backing up in the o zone and can stand their ground on defence see Chi Keith and Seabrook. I like Hutton a lot and I really hope he Pans out to be a very good 3-4 D but it's a bit early to be planning the parade.  

Edler XXX

Hutton Tanev it think this would be best for Hutton's development. and our team.

Pedan Biega

Sbisa Tryamkin

The only way I'm paying to see that movie is if the starring Swedish twins are NOT Daniel and Hank.

Do you write the headlines for the Province?  Not trying to be a downer here but perhaps Hutton play seems a little over inflated giving the fact that he's playing on a d core that features 3 defensemen that should be in the AHL.  I see Hutton as 3 or 4 solid D man but would be quite shocked to see him as a bonfide number 1 pairing dman.  I consider the canucks to be icing one of the worst d-cores in the league right now and him and Tanev and to a lesser extent Sbisa are doing a good job keeping it respectable.  Edler and Hamhuis are declining at a rapid rate, Biega, Weber, Bart., are just are not NHL calibre.

Realistically, I could see him becoming a Tanev 2.0, but with better offensive awareness. It also appears highly likely that he'll quarterback the first PP unit in time.

He's already showing flashes of whats to come, but what's overlooked is there's zero pressure on the guy. I wouldn't analyze him too much until his 3rd-4th season IMO.

However, he's a very enticing prospect to have, and I'd say the sky's the limit.

Edit: Btw, your thread title is dynamite.

9 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Realistically, I could see him becoming a Tanev 2.0, but with better offensive awareness. It also appears highly likely that he'll quarterback the first PP unit in time.

He's already showing flashes of whats to come, but what's overlooked is there's zero pressure on the guy. I wouldn't analyze him too much until his 3rd-4th season IMO.

However, he's a very enticing prospect to have, and I'd say the sky's the limit.

Edit: Btw, your thread title is dynamite.

This^^. Although I will say I think Ben Hutton is going to Ben Hutton. We won't truly know what we have until he's 26-27 years old.

hutton should be replacing edler now not next year this guy makes mistakes like there is no tomorrow .his mistakes have cost us so many games doesn't jb and tl see this BENCH  THIS GUY  and put in a rookie at least his mistakes are mistakes .put this guy on the bench or upstairs so he can see how the game is played

9 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

And here we go.  Everybody is going to be the next Lidstrom.  Alex Biega... will be the next Lidstrom.

You need patience with young players.  Look at Bo Horvat.  You can't put too much pressure on a young player who's bound to be somewhat inconsistent.  Let him show what he can do and just enjoy it, without putting stupid first-pairing or Norris expectations on him,

Bob, lighten up. It was a joke.

Saying that a good young player like McCann is going to like Ryan Kesler puts pressure on him because it is plausible. Saying he is the next Wayne Gretzky doesn't create much pressure because it is an obvious overstatement. (Not that either Ben Hutton or Jared McCann is likely to spend a lot of time reading CDC.)

1 hour ago, asian player said:

Smart, crafty, smooth. He has the potential to be a top pairing guy. He's not quite at the level of the prototypical #1 elite defenseman but there isn't any part of his game this is particularity weak and he can make plays happen.

Way to early to 'guess' where this kid tops out. The interesting aspect is whether his play makes Hamhuis tradeable. If there is a market for Hamhuis I suggest it does. As a NHL rookie he is 3rd in rookie D scoring. While being a dman has been an adventure this year on the Canucks Hutton has handled it well. I also suspect he gets penciled in as the 2LD next year.

2017: Edler-Tanev; Hutton-Sbisa; Pedan-Biega; A lot of questions in those pairings. I suspect any one of those dman could be traded based on return. Hopefully a high end draft pick brings a premier dman prospect. 

Frankly, that one goal has done nothing to change my opinion of him, something that's been pretty well formed over the past three years. He has the highest upside of any of our D and could become a true #1 (offensive slant with defensive capabilities). He's also exceeding where I thought he'd be at this point in his career. But, it's a long way to get to that projected ceiling and we'll have to be patient to see if he can grow into that or if he settles somewhere in the #2-4 range.

I'm confident enough that he'll be a better than serviceable NHL'er in the top 4 range in his prime though (barring injuries derailing his career) that I'm very happy with what we have in him.

If hutton continues his production and can improve season by season hopefully I could see him turning into a Brian Campbell type guy. More of the guy who dishes out assists and pops a goal in every so often. Campbell's numbers in his second season were similar to what Hutton would be projected to put up this season (2G 17A)

15 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Is there a reason why its a no? Hutton is still young and still has potential to improve his offensive side of the game and I do see some flashes of brilliance from him from time to time when he moves the puck from the defensive zone to the offensive zone. I think he doesn't get much points or goals because of his passiveness and hopefully he can shoot more and get more opportunity on the 1st unit PP. 

if you want to win the cup, you need a stayhome strong #1 d- man, every cup winner team has that, hutton is good but cant be #1 d-man

Archived