The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The curious case of Benjamin Hutton

DefCon1

Shouldn't he just start progressing backwards and be a 1st pairing bantam level  Dman in 10 yrs? Well, if the case is so curious..

Now that I've got my dumb joke out of the way - In preseason Hutton was jumping up in the play a lot, shooting, and even crashed the net a few times. He has an offensive instinct, a drive for scoring, and as he progresses defensively in the NHL he will be given a much longer leash.

It seems like he's been playing defense first, like WD probably told him to do, not to take chances and to be in a good position when the play comes back at him. Essentially playing a style to not get sent down. He's shown that he is responsible in his own end, his first pass is usually very clean, or he skates the puck oiut of the zone and doesn't cough it up. Having him play with both Bart and Weber has just shown him what he'll be if he doesn't continue to try his hardest and strive for greatness.

So OP - IMHO, he will be a top pairing dman, responsible like Hammer in his prime but a PMD offensive D like Erhoff in his prime, but better than both at the same time. Well, that's what my magic 8 ball just told me.

20 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

So with Hutton's 1st NHL goal out of the way, does anybody here think he can become a 1st pairing d-man in a couple of years with how quickly he is developing? He is smart on the defensive side of the puck and already makes better decisions than Edler when it comes to some of the offensive plays. He seems at times way too passive but at least his shot doesn't get blocked every time like when Edler shoots. I hope JB gets a veteran UFA d-man that could be paired with Hutton and show him the ropes once Hamhuis gets traded. We all know Tanev will be playing with Edler so Hutton should be paired with someone not named Sbisa, Bartkowski or Weber.

+1 for the title as well

Hutton is a beast, he can already stickhandle his way out of the zone, he just needs to find chemistry with someone so he can focus on offence.

I notice he is very smart in the pinch, and also the way he tries to angle the puck to the net from the point. Edler keeps shooting right into the shot blockers shin gaurds or he misses by 6 feet. 

When was the last time we had a defenseman who can dangle like Hutton has been doing on a regular basis. I think you could make a hi light reel of his shifty breakouts and slick little passes out of the corner when he is covered and he hasn't even played a whole season yet.

Hopefully there is more to come. He has started to shoot lately...

• 2 weeks later...

From today's Province:

WHO PLAYS WITH HUTTON?

Whoever it is, one thing is clear: it shouldn’t be Luca Sbisa. Or Matt Bartkowski …

That’s a five-game rolling average of Hutton’s on-ice shot attempts percentage (aka Corsi For %). In other words, his CF%, a measure of which direction the overall attempts in a game are going, has been terrible when he’s been paired with either Luca Sbisa or Matt Bartkowski.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say it’s not the fault of the rookie. Every metric — and your eyeballs — says Sbisa is caught chasing the play. Other numbers have told us Bartkowski’s strength lies in carrying the puck up the ice; not much else he does is very positive (though of late he and partner Alex Biega have managed to at least hold their own).

You know who Ben Hutton’s best partner has proven to be? Yannick Weber.

- See more at: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2016/01/27/canucks-hat-trick-the-song-remains-the-same-huttons-partner-the-surprising-thing-about-virtanen/#sthash.Usd9ogjq.dpuf

Hutton was originally a forward and got stuck on D due to an injury. Then he did well there and the coach wanted to keep him there. That's why we see Hutton jumping up into the play and making good offensive zone maneuvers, he knows how to play forward. Playing D came after, the guy has huge potential to be a real offensive forward AND play a good defensive game. It's just gonna take being paired with a more defensively reliable partner before we'll see it in full force. Until then he's gotta play perimeter and hang back cuz the Weber's and Sbisa's can't shut down a 2 on 1 if he ends up being too deep.

I see Ben as a top tier #3 guy or a decent #2 when he hits his potential. I believe he's shown flashes of grit and willingness to hit that he doesn't yet get credit for, though he probably needs to up his strength a bit before he can contribute consistently. His hands, feet, and sense are great. 

He has NO fear ragging the puck in our zone and can effectively deke and dish around opposing forwards in a phone booth. Still needs improvement in positioning and confidence without the puck, but is effective enough already that he should blossom with experience and strength.

On 1/18/2016 at 3:49 PM, kingfreako said:

Can people just STOP with these "curious case of..." thread titles?

In this case, its a referential pun.  Perhaps you might want to watch the movie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Curious_Case_of_Benjamin_Button_(film)

Before you get too pissy.

It was pretty clever.  And as long as Hutton isn't at the END of his career, considering the reverse aging reference, I think we have a good, no, helluva player on our hands.

On 1/19/2016 at 8:28 PM, Canucklehead73 said:

When was the last time we had a defenseman who can dangle like Hutton has been doing on a regular basis. I think you could make a hi light reel of his shifty breakouts and slick little passes out of the corner when he is covered and he hasn't even played a whole season yet.

Hopefully there is more to come. He has started to shoot lately...

Luc Bourdon comes to mind.

2 hours ago, kingfreako said:

Wow! A pun referring to a crappy movie from 7 years ago! So clever, relevant, refreshing and funny!!

I would say the thread title is much more clever, relevant, refreshing and funny than your post. At least you seem to have chosen an appropriate user name. Maybe you should try using more exclamation points. That always adds credibility.

Yes !!!!    B.Hutton would be a great 1st liner , paired with the right Blue Chipper, (  UFA  )

the current Defense system is over paid and under achieved.

Canucks have held back on adding  youth to this team for far to long . this team needs to  (  JOHNNY HOCKEY UP  ).

B. Hutton          -------------( trade for UFA )

T. Olson              C. Tanev 

N. Tryamkin        C. Neill

A.Pedan

REBUILD ALREADY  - TOTAL !!!!!     not this  - waiting out the VETERAN's contract see what happens crap  , Call me when the CANUCKS are ready to really change their direction , this Swedish Twin team had their chance , 

Archived