MINNESOTA at LOS ANGELES (10:30 PM)

January 22:

DETROIT at BUFFALO (7:00 PM)
ANAHEIM at WASHINGTON (7:00 PM)
NY RANGERS at CAROLINA (7:00 PM)
NY ISLANDERS at OTTAWA (7:30 PM)
CHICAGO at FLORIDA (7:30 PM)
ST LOUIS at COLORADO (9:00 PM)

Anyone think eliminating hooking and holding penalties would actually improve the game?

It seems to be the refs go to calls when they're trying to manage games.

Take those two calls away from them and I think they would have less control on outcomes.

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Anyone think eliminating hooking and holding penalties would actually improve the game?

It seems to be the refs go to calls when they're trying to manage games.

Take those two calls away from them and I think they would have less control on outcomes.

Only if the players promise to not ever do it again. Maybe they can put it in the next CBA. Make it a suspendable offense,

Ok, so that was a joke, but I agree with you in that the refs would be removed from managing the game with make up calls surrounding those 2 infractions, but if they really wanted to micro manage they would find interference, weak slashing maybe, or some other call to even things up. Again, if they were really looking for it.

Plus, just to play devils advocate, do you really want to go fully legal clutch and grab, but worse? Like tackling? Which is how certain players that lack the talent to keep up would find themselves, uh... defending. 

I pass.

5 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Plus, just to play devils advocate, do you really want to go fully legal clutch and grab, but worse? Like tackling? Which is how certain players that lack the talent to keep up would find themselves, uh... defending. 

I pass.

In the 90's players could pretty much hook and hold as much as they wanted unless they actually hauled the player down. I'm not saying anything is allowed, but the calling of any little contact is making the game worse IMO.

I would argue it actually made players more skilled because they would have to fight through these plays.

Players nowadays go down and embellish with the slightest touch. Allowing hooking and holding would actually create more scoring chances I think because there would be more turnovers.

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

In the 90's players could pretty much hook and hold as much as they wanted unless they actually hauled the player down. I'm not saying anything is allowed, but the calling of any little contact is making the game worse IMO.

I would argue it actually made players more skilled because they would have to fight through these plays.

Players nowadays go down and embellish with the slightest touch. Allowing hooking and holding would actually create more scoring chances I think because there would be more turnovers.

Oh I both remember, and agree. But if they can't get away with everything then you bring back the refs' judgment call back into place, and if the goal is to remove the potential for game management then the fewer judgment calls they are asked to make the better.

I simply don't see how giving players more leeway would make refereeing easier, or give it more consistency. I know you're conversation surrounds removing their game management, but all I see is the same result with a product featuring a slower pace and more legal infractions. 

I hated watching an obvious hook, or hold, go uncalled when it derailed a legitimate scoring chance, or negated a 2 on 1, or whatever. 

The game today isn't perfect, but what you're proposing feels like regression to me.  

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

Oh I both remember, and agree. But if they can't get away with everything then you bring back the refs' judgment call back into place, and if the goal is to remove the potential for game management then the fewer judgment calls they are asked to make the better.

I simply don't see how giving players more leeway would make refereeing easier, or give it more consistency. I know you're conversation surrounds removing their game management, but all I see is the same result with a product featuring a slower pace and more legal infractions. 

I hated watching an obvious hook, or hold, go uncalled when it derailed a legitimate scoring chance, or negated a 2 on 1, or whatever. 

The game today isn't perfect, but what you're proposing feels like regression to me.  

Yea, maybe my beef is just with the refs.

I really don't like the definition of "hooking" in today's game though. The idea of the rule is to stop players from actually pulling the players arms or hands, not simply waving at them or tapping their sticks on their hands.

Or when a player reaches back and wraps their arm around a player, and the other player gets called for holding. Can't stand those.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea, maybe my beef is just with the refs.

I really don't like the definition of "hooking" in today's game though. The idea of the rule is to stop players from actually pulling the players arms or hands, not simply waving at them or tapping their sticks on their hands.

Or when a player reaches back and wraps their arm around a player, and the other player gets called for holding. Can't stand those.

I'll agree there. Ultra weak hooking where it's a case of simply having your stick parallel to the ice. The removal of that kind of thing needs to be implemented via proper coaching at minor league levels I suppose. Same as the way we were taught not to hit from behind. Obviously those things will never be eradicated, but how does one convince someone playing at the NHL level not to put his hands on the person he's chasing, or raise his stick to check only to "hook" ever so slightly.

Weak calls indeed. and sadly I have no solution at the moment.

Archived