The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No suspension

Ourgodluongo

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

The shove = intent.

Exactly. That's even a more obvious case of intent.

It's not like he lost control and couldn't slow down. He purposely reached out and pushed him into the boards when he was in a vulnerable position.

The league just makes it up as it goes though. Something that was suspendable last month might not be the next. That's how much it changes.

3 hours ago, xereau said:

Dangerous hit on a star player.

If it was on anyone other than a Sedin, this would have been at least a one game suspension.

The NHL is a lame joke.

In the big picture, what is different between no suspension and 1 game in this case? Hank is still hurt in either scenario. One game is a rest, not a punishment (to the team or him financially). 1 game is also not likely much of a deterrent for the future either other than for potential repeat offenders which again isn't the case too much here.

The league felt this was more clumsy than intent. Really? Explain Arron Rome. Now we will have clumsy high sticking calls. I think the NHL is more clumsy than professional. Time pro sports lose control. Independent officiating and policing.

10 hours ago, surtur said:

Thought it was a border line hit. At the most would have expected 1 gamesome angles it looks good but awkward other angles it looks bad.

Sucks he got hurt but I doubt the intent was there. Still would have liked to see at least 1 game.

Hitler also looked good from some angles

Good on Hank for having the ability to turn up ice to avoid a head on with the boards. The contact (shove/hit) was in the numbers and he could have easily lost an edge and been seriously injured. Problem is the team has no ability to play a retribution style of hockey. Not just yet anyway. The Sedins have been open season for a long time, too long.  JB will change this eventually but don't count on the league to do anything about it in the short term. As I've written before, no might no fight. Prediction: in 3 years the team will be very tough and the refs will suspend and call penalties galore to gut the nucks just enough to keep them from impacting the American darlings. I say keep gooning to the point of near stupidity and treat the league like the joke it is. Don't wait for balanced officiating, just accept it and fight a good fight.  

33 minutes ago, M A K A V E L I 96 said:

Remember back when Edler got suspended for trying to brace for a hit. DOPS is a joke.

I keep thinking back to this suspension as the standard for the NHL's stupidity.  If I recall correctly Edler got suspended for the supposed intent to injure.  Hertl wasnt even injured.  

Grabovski injures Hank, he gets 5 minutes because the refs deemed it to be a serious infraction... yet he gets absolutely no punishment from the league.  Player injured - Check, Intent- check, a play that they are trying to take out of the game - check. No suspension - wtf?  Now, my gripe is not that there wasnt a suspension,my gripe is that the criteria keep changing.  

Set a standard and stick to it you clowns.

My earlier comment seems to have disappeared. I thought one additional game was needed as a minimum in this case. It's interesting to hear some analysts suggest the NHL felt this hit was more 'clumsy' than violent. That should hardly matter. It didn't stop the NHL from suspending Kassian in 2013 when he inadvertently broke Sam Gagner's jaw with the momentum of his loosely held stick.

6 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

So looks like Hank is out until February at least as reported by Sports Net. 

Another confirmation of the value of those  kinds of hits come playoff time.  a five minute major and game misconduct to a fringe forward and your opponent loses its top centerman for the series.

NHL dong all it can to perpetuate cheap shots while paying lip service to protecting the players.

Just thin back to the 3 gamer Hansen received for incidental contact on Hossa while reaching for the puck!!  Or Rome for an open ice hit a fraction of a second late!!

Still open season on the Sedins.

Or the Burrows suspension with a glancing blow to the head. Or Edler's suspension where he got run into by a rookie with his head down (Hertl). Even the suspension on Kassian/RNH was deemed reckless but still warranted sitting games because of the damage done.

This list could go on and on. It's crazy really. 

And this isn't new. I think back to Messier mugging Linden with a clear intent to injure and not even a minor penalty. I think back to the dirtiest elbow I have ever seen when Ladd blind-sided Kesler with the puck 50 ft away (even worse than Pavel on Churla). 

As I said, I don't think this play deserves more than 5 and a game and perhaps a fine. But after the strange suspensions levied against our team (which all seem to support a predetermined narrative that Canucks are dirty) well, we can't be blamed for being confused.

11 minutes ago, y-ote' said:

Or the Burrows suspension with a glancing blow to the head. Or Edler's suspension where he got run into by a rookie with his head down (Hertl). Even the suspension on Kassian/RNH was deemed reckless but still warranted sitting games because of the damage done.

This list could go on and on. It's crazy really. 

And this isn't new. I think back to Messier mugging Linden with a clear intent to injure and not even a minor penalty. I think back to the dirtiest elbow I have ever seen when Ladd blind-sided Kesler with the puck 50 ft away (even worse than Pavel on Churla). 

As I said, I don't think this play deserves more than 5 and a game and perhaps a fine. But after the strange suspensions levied against our team (which all seem to support a predetermined narrative that Canucks are dirty) well, we can't be blamed for being confused.

Exactly. Edler's hit and Burrows, first ever suspension, and it is 3 games, for a glancing blow.

Its when you add up the suspensions, and length of suspensions for the crimes committed by the Canucks vs. the non-suspensions for players from other teams against the Canucks, where it becomes difficult to swallow.  I think Denis Potvin represents the general knee JERK attitude towards the Canucks by the Eastern bias Bettman brigade.

I'll say this here too. 

Hoping for suspensions is retarded.

Relaying on the league to discipline players is retarded as well. 

The instagor rule needs to be removed and players should be policing themselves and their teammates.

Can't wait to see the game on thursday

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If a Canuck player does it, it's intentional. If it's done against one of our players, it was just accidental and "clumsy".

The league has already shown it can spin any scenario it wants. We shouldn't be surprised. 

I guarantee if it was Crosby or Kane who was hit like that the league would throw the book at them.

As some poster already said. Dubinsky broke his stick crosschecking Crosby and nothing came of it. I fully understand there are some consistency issues that some people have a problem with but this isn't limited to the Canucks.

The following isn't directed at you.

People bringing back age old complaints to suit their arguments also doesn't help. The Rome incident happened years ago. The DOPS has changed significantly, their criteria has changed. It makes no sense to bring up the Campbell (or Shanahan to a lesser extent) days and argue bias. Find a similar hit in the past two seasons that was punished and you will have a much better argument.

5 minutes ago, Toews said:

As some poster already said. Dubinsky broke his stick crosschecking Crosby and nothing came of it. I fully understand there are some consistency issues that some people have a problem with but this isn't limited to the Canucks.

The following isn't directed at you.

People bringing back age old complaints to suit their arguments also doesn't help. The Rome incident happened years ago. The DOPS has changed significantly, their criteria has changed. It makes no sense to bring up the Campbell (or Shanahan to a lesser extent) days and argue bias. Find a similar hit in the past two seasons that was punished and you will have a much better argument.

Just a question to you, explain to me how the DOPS has changed significantly? Different folks, same inconsistency as far as I'm concerned. I get that they have justice for repeat offenders, but a first time offender can do just as much damage to injure someone permanently as the repeat offender. Therein lies the problem.

31 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Just a question to you, explain to me how the DOPS has changed significantly? Different folks, same inconsistency as far as I'm concerned. I get that they have justice for repeat offenders, but a first time offender can do just as much damage to injure someone permanently as the repeat offender. Therein lies the problem.

The DOPS operates under the confines what the PA will allow them to do. The object of the DOPS is to provide a deterrent to egregious actions. It isn't to provide justice for the victim. You do one stupid incident then you get off with a 3-5 game suspension. Most players get the message after that incident and curb their actions after. There are some that don't like Carcillo or Torres and they get punished heavily. By the way I am not saying it is a perfect system. They get the criteria of what to enforce from the GM meetings and PA chimes in with their input as well. 

I think you have to treat each regime separately. The folks currently in office should not be responsible for the decisions that their predecessors made. 

Archived