The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No suspension

Ourgodluongo

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

The DOPS operates under the confines what the PA will allow them to do. The object of the DOPS is to provide a deterrent to egregious actions. It isn't to provide justice for the victim. You do one stupid incident then you get off with a 3-5 game suspension. Most players get the message after that incident and curb their actions after. There are some that don't like Carcillo or Torres and they get punished heavily. By the way I am not saying it is a perfect system. They get the criteria of what to enforce from the GM meetings and PA chimes in with their input as well. 

I think you have to treat each regime separately. The folks currently in office should not be responsible for the decisions that their predecessors made. 

Fair enough, but I don't believe things are all that different from previous regimes. I believe most hockey fans just want to see some consistency. So far, I haven't.

7 minutes ago, Frazzy Desjardins said:

Quit whining. It wasnt even that bad. It's a fast paced Game, things happen. 

Get well soon Hank

This isn't just about Canuck players, it's a problem affecting the whole league. 

Please tell me, what do you make Of this: 

It looks like Philadelphia Flyers forward Ryan White will avoid a suspension for his blindside hit on Tomas Jurco of the Detroit Red Wings.

Dave Isaac of the Courier-Post first reported as much via an anonymous source, while an unnamed league source confirmed as much to CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio.

The NHL’s Department of Player Safety didn’t make it official, however.

White received a match penalty for that check on Jurco, which you can watch above.

The Flyers forward has been suspended before, being dinged for five games in 2013.

Don't you think a hit like this warrants supplemental decipline? 

56 minutes ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

This isn't just about Canuck players, it's a problem affecting the whole league. 

:( How can the DoPS possibly justify no supplemental discipline for that hit? For an organization that flaps their gums about the dangers of head hits and wanting that sort of $&!# out of the game, they sure don't put their money where their mouths are. It's crap like this being allowed and condoned by the inaction of the DoPS to correct or punish it that serves to reinforce the hypocrisy of the NHL and DoPS when it comes to protecting their players. I hope the class action suit being undertaken by the ex-players regarding the whole concussion issue is successful and that Bettman, Campbell et al are held accountable and bankrupted. I say 'bankrupted' because it would seem that that is where their concern actually does lay.....  the $$$ and cents of the game....not the men who actually play it and put the bread and butter on their plates.

Yeah, that was terrible. I don't like the precedent of saying 5 and a game trumps any further supplementary discipline. Both were bad and deserved a bit more (White's past his repeat offender status though).

For people still trying to talk about older examples (Rome, Edler, Burrows, etc.) and claim they were legal/more legal than the hit on Henrik, get over it, they were bad as well. I agree with people asking for more on the recent hits, but quit trying to justify something under a new group running the DoPS compared to a previous group.

For those of you who always respond with tin foil hats and it's just conspiracy theory obvious don't follow the news a lot. Remember when the NFL purposely told people hits to the head were fine and anyone who disagreed was considered to be out on a limb.   Or when the referees were fixing games in the NBA for betting purposes?  Are you so naive that you honestly believe people all live by the rules and there is no corruption?  I am sure that the NHL has an agenda for some teams to do better than others to promote the market and make more revenue.  It's stupid to think that such a large business doesn't have some corruption.  

However, with that said, I don't think the Canucks are the only ones getting the short end of the stick.  I actually think it's most of the Canadian teams that do well.  Have you seen a Montreal Canadiens game recently?  They get some terrible calls go their way too.  It's like they were doing so well and the league decided that they had to slow them down.  Canucks have had some bad calls go their way in recent years but it was just unlucky that they happened against the darling teams of the NHL.  The teams that the NHL wants to do well.  

The Rome hit was a long time ago but that was the perfect example of how suddenly a new precedence was made during a Stanley Cup finals game and the rules were changed to dish out one of the harshest suspensions for a hit that wasn't even that bad.  Resulting injury being one of the criteria yet a Canuck player was driven into the boards in a vulnerable position and wound up with a broken vertebrae and not even a call on the ice was made.  I'm sure the NHL had every intent that they wanted Boston to win that series to drive sales in the area.  That is how it is in this world.  Power leads to corruption and if you really believe that these businesses all run a clean ship then I'd say you are the one that needs to put on a tin foil hat.

We need to add an injury criterion to the way decisions are made about suspensions/illegal hits: the offending player needs to sit out the same number of games as the player he injured, or if preferred, can only return on the same day the injured player returns.  This would be especially helpful with season ending injuries and concussions.  Not sure what to do about career ending injuries!

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Yeah, that was terrible. I don't like the precedent of saying 5 and a game trumps any further supplementary discipline. Both were bad and deserved a bit more (White's past his repeat offender status though).

For people still trying to talk about older examples (Rome, Edler, Burrows, etc.) and claim they were legal/more legal than the hit on Henrik, get over it, they were bad as well. I agree with people asking for more on the recent hits, but quit trying to justify something under a new group running the DoPS compared to a previous group.

Agreed.  If the player doesn't get suspended when deserved, then there is no history to look back on when they should be considered a repeat offender for the next time.  Even if it is only one more game, at least history is established.  At the same time, DOPS shouldn't give out suspensions because the call on the ice was missed.  Suspensions need to be given out based on reviews and investigations into the incident.

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

We need to add an injury criterion to the way decisions are made about suspensions/illegal hits: the offending player needs to sit out the same number of games as the player he injured, or if preferred, can only return on the same day the injured player returns.  This would be especially helpful with season ending injuries and concussions.  Not sure what to do about career ending injuries!

That doesn't really work though for a number of reasons.

- player gets penalized more if the injured player has preexisting injuries - how do you separate them?

- who evaluates when a player is ready to return? Some plug fakes it to keep a better player out

- doesn't factor in intent - horrible hit but the player doesn't get hurt just from blind luck

- opposite to above, really minor hit to turns ugly and somehow major injury

- lots of other reasons too

7 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Agreed.  If the player doesn't get suspended when deserved, then there is no history to look back on when they should be considered a repeat offender for the next time.  Even if it is only one more game, at least history is established.  At the same time, DOPS shouldn't give out suspensions because the call on the ice was missed.  Suspensions need to be given out based on reviews and investigations into the incident.

I agree, the call on the ice shouldn't factor in at all. The penalty on the ice is about what's happening in the game by the rule book for play. Supplemental discipline is just that, supplemental.  A review of something in the bigger context of proper behavior.

As others have said, the PA is as much to blame for this mess as the league - they fight to prevent players being removed from the game, so there is an inherent conflict between safety, punishment, and keeping their players on the ice and earning money.

A random idea for a suspension for a case like this: major and the game at the time, then suspended for an additional game when the teams next play. Yes, that means in some cases, they never sit, but for teams that play a lot and have a rivalry maybe that would be interesting.

4 hours ago, Frazzy Desjardins said:

Quit whining. It wasnt even that bad. It's a fast paced Game, things happen. 

Get well soon Hank

There's a huge difference between falling on your own into the boards, than having someone nail you in the middle of the numbers from behind. If your comment was directed at me?

10 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

There's a huge difference between falling on your own into the boards, than having someone nail you in the middle of the numbers from behind. If your comment was directed at me?

I think Hank being able to turn a bit so that he hit sideways a bit rather than purely face first makes it look a little less egregious than it might have. Still a hit from behind close to the boards though.

5 hours ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

Sure, when compared to the Burrows hit on Emilin I'd say it deserves the same as Burr got. And yet it got nothing. If burr does that hit 10 times outta 10 it's a suspension. Such a dirty player, and yet the league had to wait years to find one borderline infraction to pin on him. That's what drives a lot of us crazy. Nobody is saying this was the worst hit ever thrown, but we know from experience that if the shoe was on the other foot and it was dirty dirty Hansen throwing that hit a suspension would be automatic. 

It's happened far too often to be coincidence.

5 hours ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

Sure, when compared to the Burrows hit on Emilin I'd say it deserves the same as Burr got. And yet it got nothing. If burr does that hit 10 times outta 10 it's a suspension. Such a dirty player, and yet the league had to wait years to find one borderline infraction to pin on him. That's what drives a lot of us crazy. Nobody is saying this was the worst hit ever thrown, but we know from experience that if the shoe was on the other foot and it was dirty dirty Hansen throwing that hit a suspension would be automatic. 

It's happened far too often to be coincidence.

Archived