The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Canucks - Stars

Noble 6

10 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Honka has that price tag of a recent 1rst round pick and hasn't done anything to hurt that value. I know you gotta give to get in any trade but a guy that might be easier to let go is Esa Lindell. He's a former 3rd round pick in 2012, only 21 years old, 6'3" 210 pounds and stats almost identical to that of Honka. I feel like Honka could be a tough squeeze but Lindell could be stolen and hopefully by us.

Honka is an elite defense prospect that the Stars would likely be ok with moving. Not many teams are willing to move players on the backend of that calibour as young prospects. Lindell is a decent target, but Honka is a much better prospect in almost every way. 

20 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Again, I think a lot of people undervalue Honka. It's not easy to get a young, elite, right handed defenseman on an ELC that will most likely be in your top-4 in a few years, if not already. Hamhuis' injury has hurt his value and Vrbata has not had a great year. Higgins didn't even get claimed off waivers. 

Also, the cap dumps don't really matter. Moen is a UFA at the end of the year. Hemsky can be traded this year, in the offseason or at the deadline next year. His contract expires after. We can waive them if it becomes a problem. 

Next years' draft isn't supposed to be as good as this years. This let's us move up this year, and give up a pick in the weaker year.

Don't mistake my critique as knocking Honka, who although being a bit undersized is a good prospect, but rather more about that we give up so many pieces while retaining cap and bring more back with players we likely don't want to only really get Honka in the deal. I'd prefer to look at moving Hamhuis and Vrbata separately and aiming for something in the range of a 1st/2nd/prospect combo between them, not worrying as much about cap, buying out Higgins if necessary and keeping our other picks to look to add more pieces. What I don't want to see is detracting from deals by sending or receiving negative value apart from maybe bringing back one unwanted piece to facilitate a larger deal.

14 hours ago, hammertime said:
 I admit I had to look him up I know nothing about this player but this is what Hockey's future has to say and there usually pretty on point.
Talent Analysis

Lindell is a big defenseman who likes to join the rush.  He has an offensive-minded style that needs to be roped-in at times and refined. Despite his size he doesn’t engage too much physically. Lindell's skating is still a bit awkward and he’s not particularly agile.  The strength of his game is jumping into the play well and making offensive reads.  Lindelll sometimes appears lackadaisical in his own end and makes questionable decisions.  He has significant skills but must continue to coordinate them into a productive two-way game.

NOT exactly a beaming review of this player. In no way am I saying your wrong. I hope the price tag would be much less to aquire him. If that were the case then great our prospect pool of D especially ones who are close to ready is abismal. So any warm bodies would be welcome.

I just don't think Honka will come easy. Dallas' defence is garbage and Honka is their next d on the swing up but not too far behind him is Lindell. I saw that Lindell made the AHL all-star team this year so thats when I looked him up and thought he'd be a good target. I'll be honest everything I've seen from him is on paper and highlight vids.

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Honka is an elite defense prospect that the Stars would likely be ok with moving. Not many teams are willing to move players on the backend of that calibour as young prospects. Lindell is a decent target, but Honka is a much better prospect in almost every way. 

Oh I'm aware who the better prospect is and I'd rather have Honka to Lindell at this point but Dallas isn't likely to move their best prospect for 3 months of Hamhuis. Dallas would deal their 1rst round pick instead of Honka in a deal for Hamhuis or all our expiring vets. What I'm saying is Lindell and a 2nd might be a better option then just the Dallas 1rst round pick.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Don't mistake my critique as knocking Honka, who although being a bit undersized is a good prospect, but rather more about that we give up so many pieces while retaining cap and bring more back with players we likely don't want to only really get Honka in the deal. I'd prefer to look at moving Hamhuis and Vrbata separately and aiming for something in the range of a 1st/2nd/prospect combo between them, not worrying as much about cap, buying out Higgins if necessary and keeping our other picks to look to add more pieces. What I don't want to see is detracting from deals by sending or receiving negative value apart from maybe bringing back one unwanted piece to facilitate a larger deal.

To do this deal, retaining salary and taking back contracts is necessary. We don't have a choice in that. Even after retaining salary on both Hamhuis and Vrbata and taking back Hemsky and Moen, the Stars only have 0.2 million in cap space. Not only that, but retaining salary on Vrbata and Hamhuis will most likely be necessary with almost any deal due to their play/injury this season.

I understand the idea of going for picks/prospects with Vrbata and Hamhuis, but I feel that adding a piece like Honka would be better for this organization than a late 1st or a 2nd. Trading them individually will greatly reduce the quality of the prospect we receive. Not  only that, but we would most likely have to retain salary even if they are dealt individually. There aren't many contenders with 4.5-5 million in cap space, and the one's that do are budget teams. This is not a bad route at all, but I feel Honka would benefit us more.

Finding a team that could be willing to give up a defense prospect of that caliber is rare. We should take advantage of it while we have the chance, whether it's with Honka, Bowey, Theodore, etc.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Oh I'm aware who the better prospect is and I'd rather have Honka to Lindell at this point but Dallas isn't likely to move their best prospect for 3 months of Hamhuis. Dallas would deal their 1rst round pick instead of Honka in a deal for Hamhuis or all our expiring vets. What I'm saying is Lindell and a 2nd might be a better option then just the Dallas 1rst round pick.

Finding a team that is willing to move a prospect like that is extremely rare. Honka could be moved because the Stars have Klingberg and most likely Demers on the right side for awhile. Instead of wasting Honka's talents on the bottom pair, they would much rather trade him for assets that can help them win the Cup. They receive some more defensive stability in Hamhuis, scoring depth with Vrbata and a veteran 2-way presence with Higgins for their run at the Cup this year.

Archived