The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP Glenn Frey

sonoman

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Most overrated rock band of all time.

nevertheless, RIP

I like most of your posts, not this one.

Never understood people's motivations to want to qualify their condolences with some kind of negative comment that belittles their contribution to the world.

Take it Easy was the first song I asked my music instructor to help teach me. 

I think I've mentioned this before, but when I was a kid, I had a ton of energy. My parents created '5 o'clock 500 mile an hour time'. They gave me a walkman and a cassette and told me to do laps around the house until I got tired. Three bands I listened to: CCR, The Eagles, and The Beach Boys. 

16 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I like most of your posts, not this one.

Never understood people's motivations to want to qualify their condolences with some kind of negative comment that belittles their contribution to the world.

Take it Easy was the first song I asked my music instructor to help teach me. 

I think I've mentioned this before, but when I was a kid, I had a ton of energy. My parents created '5 o'clock 500 mile an hour time'. They gave me a walkman and a cassette and told me to do laps around the house until I got tired. Three bands I listened to: CCR, The Eagles, and The Beach Boys. 

Well I appreciate your post.

i apologize for being so short.  I did not mean to qualify my statement.  I don't like the Eagles. However music in general is important to me and I legit have consideration for those who have contributed to it and I also realize that many people do like the Eagles.  So on that note(B)) I said RIP Glen Frey.

fyi

ccr and the beach boys were on regular rotation for me as a kid as well.

born on the bayou is one of the most badass songs ever made and one of my all time favs.  And I have family memories of being in the car traveling with my parents in California listening to the beach boys repeatedly in cassette.  I knew every hit - word, drum fill whatever....

anyways I apologize to you for any offence without qualification.

edit

i am considering using your parents method for my own son.

36 minutes ago, riffraff said:

For sure.

i was expecting to get roasted for that.

i know millions enjoyed.  I'm just not one.

Fair enough.  For me it's probably Nickelback.  I enjoyed most of the Eagles stuff, although in general you know it's a killer band when your Dad hates it :)).  Loved CCR and Beach Boys as well.  Favourite era is probably 70's especially Canadian bands. 

15 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Fair enough.  For me it's probably Nickelback.  I enjoyed most of the Eagles stuff, although in general you know it's a killer band when your Dad hates it :)).  Loved CCR and Beach Boys as well.  Favourite era is probably 70's especially Canadian bands. 

I was only born in '76 but raised on rock radio and Motown.

my old man liked the Eagles.

Every Saturday morning id wake to the temptations on high volume...

he also liked early stones (before the drugs which imo made them better), the boss, beach boys....some Phil Spector bands etc., the righteous brothers.

my Dad could sing and play piano but he mostly liked the clean cut type bands - at least the ones that had that appearance.

i got him into the psych rock like Jimi Hendrix, the doors...lol...and sadly he died before I could get him to admit how wicked led zeppelin is lol.

12 minutes ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

That would be Oasis for me. Gallagher's  horrific nasal tone made me want to slit my wrists.  

Omg!!!!!  I thought I was so alone

youre so right....exact same for me...

"campagne super-nover in the skyyyyyeyyyye"...&^@# I'd rather carve my eardrums out with a spoon.

their obnoxious personas are not justified due to lack of talent and originality....

i was was stuck on a sailboat with a guy, a Brit, who thought they were so cool because of their attitude....he was the same way too especially when drunk....just rude and embarrassing...

terrible band indeed.

don't care for the Eagles, but i don't hate them as some do. huge soft spot for them, in fact, as my mom would listen to them all the time while cleaning on weekend mornings. but i don't think i've ever put on one of their songs myself.

i think the first few Oasis albums are pretty damn good, though

most overrated bands, i think, would be something like the Sex Pistols, Green Day, Lady Gaga (though she's all-but vanished), AC/DC, Tool, etc.

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

City girl, just seemed to find out early

How to open doors, with just a smile...

Tough to hear. That country band that went rock. If you were a bettin' man, you'd think Joe Walsh would be first to leave(lifestlye, & all)

joe walsh started out with a band in 1970 called james gang rides again utube it that aint no country band, very good old rock

I find it interesting that in 2016 people hate a lot of 70s acts like The eagles, supertramp, etc. Yet wax poetic over Abba, and other disco crap. I prefer pink Floyd, stones, Beatles, but I have varied tastes ranging from classical to jazz, rock, metal.

Frey was a great songwriter and guitarist. Was he as good as other legends? Perhaps not. But he gave us such great music.

Archived