The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP Glenn Frey

sonoman

7 minutes ago, chon derry said:

sucks getting old my short term memorie isn't what it used to be ya and my short term memorie isn't what it used to be lol

I know all about "old-timers disease" too.  Remembered the story from years ago, and reminded of it when I watched a doc of the Eagles on Netflix.  Not sure if it's still available though.  Great documentary but long, 3 hours.

I watched the History Of The Eagles documentary a few years back..Then I noticed that they were playing at The Rog...Got some some tickets and saw a fantastic show.....While I was never a massive fan of the band,I could appreciate a great talent (especially the harmonizing between Frey and Henley..that is the Eagles sound)...I am so glad that I went and saw that show and witnessed the magic firsthand.

Thanks Glenn...

2 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

don't care for the Eagles, but i don't hate them as some do. huge soft spot for them, in fact, as my mom would listen to them all the time while cleaning on weekend mornings. but i don't think i've ever put on one of their songs myself.

i think the first few Oasis albums are pretty damn good, though

most overrated bands, i think, would be something like the Sex Pistols, Green Day, Lady Gaga (though she's all-but vanished), AC/DC, Tool, etc.

No likey green day kerplunk album?

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

No likey green day kerplunk album?

i meant their late stuff. Dookie was one of the first CDs I bought, and I saw their live (VHS) concert JADED IN CHICAGO! around that time, and it made me buy their back catalogue, so I loved that too. i still watch the live version of Going To Pasalacqua from that performance semi-regularly. I loved that sh-t so much and brings back crazy nostalgia. I still like some of those other tracks too. but for me they were a gateway band into better stuff. they fell off super hard

I meant more the American Idiot era - I just hate how self righteous and over-produced they sound. And that was surely them at their most popular. 21st Century Breakdown was even worse (surprise, surprise: Butch Vig was producer), and I have no interest in listening to those last albums they released

3 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

i meant their late stuff. Dookie was one of the first CDs I bought, and I saw their live (VHS) concert JADED IN CHICAGO! around that time, and it made me buy their back catalogue, so I loved that too. i still watch the live version of Going To Pasalacqua from that performance semi-regularly. I loved that sh-t so much and brings back crazy nostalgia. I still like some of those other tracks too. but for me they were a gateway band into better stuff. they fell off super hard

I meant more the American Idiot era - I just hate how self righteous and over-produced they sound. And that was surely them at their most popular. 21st Century Breakdown was even worse (surprise, surprise: Butch Vig was producer), and I have no interest in listening to those last albums they released

Exactly my sentiments.

and def nostalgic....was about 16 when kerplunk came out, getting drivers liscenced, piling into vws with green day tapes and skateboards.....it was one of my first few concerts - 86 street music hall....

third song in billy joe hucks a big loogie into the crowd! After the song was over he yells "what's the problem can't you spit?" - then stood there for about 30secs while the crowd rained down gobs on him! They were bouncing right off his face the whole deal....

then they stopped being punk.

good gateway band as you say: nofx, pennywise, etc.

13 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

Who gives a s**t..!!....Isn't this thread about Glenn Frey..?

3 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

If you hate the band..why bother posting dude..?  Is this the time and place ,after a guy in the band died...Green Day are cool,but pretty much a two-bit band in the grand scheme of things.....Jeeeeeezus.

wtf, someone else brought something up. i responded. i can talk about anything i want, homeboy. 

the video wasn't meant to represent my opinion of the Eagles, just the direction of your conversation approach. hilariously on point, i thought

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

City girl, just seemed to find out early

How to open doors, with just a smile...

Tough to hear. That country band that went rock. If you were a bettin' man, you'd think Joe Walsh would be first to leave(lifestlye, & all)

Nah, life's been good to him

So far

35 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

wtf, someone else brought something up. i responded. i can talk about anything i want, homeboy. 

the video wasn't meant to represent my opinion of the Eagles, just the direction of your conversation approach. hilariously on point, i thought

No worries...After reading back through more your posts I don't think there was disrespect (I was only a kid when they were popular anyway)..but pretty crappy to see another iconic musician pass away.

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I find it interesting that in 2016 people hate a lot of 70s acts like The eagles, supertramp, etc. Yet wax poetic over Abba, and other disco crap. I prefer pink Floyd, stones, Beatles, but I have varied tastes ranging from classical to jazz, rock, metal.

Frey was a great songwriter and guitarist. Was he as good as other legends? Perhaps not. But he gave us such great music.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, ABBA is not crap, Mister Grumpypants.

(if you truly had varied tastes you'd know that Bjorn and Benny's writing is as good as almost all the bands you mentioned there ... have some fun now and then for chrissakes)

13 hours ago, riffraff said:

For sure.

i was expecting to get roasted for that.

i know millions enjoyed.  I'm just not one.

You don't enjoy their music, so that automatically makes them "overrated". Gotcha.

Ever consider that you just might be underrating them?

12 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

Unless I was totally stoned I saw the Eagles live in concert in an old venue on the PNE grounds, probably in 1973. As I recall they were the opening act for Joe Cocker. Is that possible? I do remember the ending and it was a good night.

Of course it is. Joe Cocker was huge in his day. 

And as others have already pointed out, the members of the Eagles got their start backing up Linda Ronstadt.

RIP, Glenn. You'll be missed.

Archived