The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Hamhuis, Vrbata, Prust, Weber, possibly Burrows and Higgins

Odd.

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I would say Edler was past his prime about 2 years ago.

The issue with Edler is Van has no other d-man close to his size and mobility. I am not suggesting his play has been close to good enough. Every coach who has had him have played him big TOI, Willie is no different. What other options does he have, especially against a heavy team? In the Rangers game, where the NYR did not play a particularly physical game, the back end struggled all night against the bigger Ranger players.

IMHO Benning has to bring more size to the d-core and moving Edler works against this. For the TOI he plays his CAP is not a issue. For me the more likely trade bait would be Tanev. While what comes back is what it is all about Tanev's size is a issue for a dman who is slotted into a 1RD. Can Edler's game be refined by a partner who has more size? I prefer Edler as a 2LD but that means Hutton has to jump ahead which is hardly fair to Hutton.

Move Hamhuis or Tanev and draft a top dman prospect. 

10 hours ago, soshified said:

Hamhuis will definitely sign for less from his current contract, if resigned.

If we can trade Edler, that's 5 million off the books.... And with Hamhuis resigning (lets say at least 3 million) that's an extra 2 million in cap space.

That's not what I asked you...

10 hours ago, cripplereh said:

you do not trade a D that is in his prime like an edler

Sure you do if it improves your team, particularly long term (younger players). Edler for a Hamonic or Gudbranson would be just fine.

Also Edler, while still technically in his prime, is on in the tail end of it. We have a new core of players coming up who will be in their primes starting in about 4 years. How effective do you think a 34+ year old Edler will be when they're in their primes? Now compare that to a then 29+ year old Hamonic or 28+ Gudrbranson... ;) 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

That's not what I asked you...

Sure you do if it improves your team, particularly long term (younger players). Edler for a Hamonic or Gudbranson would be just fine.

Also Edler, while still technically in his prime, is on in the tail end of it. We have a new core of players coming up who will be in their primes starting in about 4 years. How effective do you think a 34+ year old Edler will be when they're in their primes? Now compare that to a then 29+ year old Hamonic or 28+ Gudrbranson... ;) 

Lets try this for size, .. WHL rocks and I came up with this scenario:

Here you go Rocks, 31.5 m. Off Load...   For Stamkos, Lucic, and Buff (or Yandle).  

Hamhuis, 4.5m . Vrbatta,5.0m .  Edler, 5.0m . Miller, 6m . Weber, 1.5m .

Higgins, 2.5m.  Prust, 2.5.  Burrows,4.5.

NTClauses on:

Burrows to Montreal, family

Miller to Death Valley, family

Edler to "the state of Florida,. Swedish Valhalla"

we also trade Demko and our 1st overall at the Draft Table for, THE First OverAll Pick.

exciting hockey moves and players sell seats.  Not Mediocracy. :) 

I think ST Louis is the best trade partner. In a perfect world we could just do Hamhuis and Vrbata (retain salary on both) for a Shcmaltz and a first type of deal. But realistically, I think they could be a partner for at least one of these vets in exchange for either a high pick or some of their defensive youth.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The issue with Edler is Van has no other d-man close to his size and mobility. I am not suggesting his play has been close to good enough. Every coach who has had him have played him big TOI, Willie is no different. What other options does he have, especially against a heavy team? In the Rangers game, where the NYR did not play a particularly physical game, the back end struggled all night against the bigger Ranger players.

IMHO Benning has to bring more size to the d-core and moving Edler works against this. For the TOI he plays his CAP is not a issue. For me the more likely trade bait would be Tanev. While what comes back is what it is all about Tanev's size is a issue for a dman who is slotted into a 1RD. Can Edler's game be refined by a partner who has more size? I prefer Edler as a 2LD but that means Hutton has to jump ahead which is hardly fair to Hutton.

Move Hamhuis or Tanev and draft a top dman prospect. 

Move Tanev and keep Edler? You're kidding, right? Half of Tanev's games are spent covering up Edler's "oops". I have no issues keeping both but with Hamhuis and his 4.5 million and Bartkowski and Weber's basically 3 million coming off too, that's 7.5 million in d men coming off the books that are excess anyways. Plenty enough. They need to get a capable RHD to play 2nd pairing with either Hutton or Sbisa. Then call up Fedun or Pedan to be #7. I want them to trade big for rights to Vatanen.

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Vatanen

Hutton-Biega

Fedun/Pedan as extra.

Of course I'd love to see us get someone like Byfuglien or Hamonic but the asking price for Hamonic will be Tanev. So that's just a sideways deal that does nothing for us. If you can get Byfuglien though, take it. He checks every single box other than youth as to what the Nucks need.

31 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Move Tanev and keep Edler? You're kidding, right? Half of Tanev's games are spent covering up Edler's "oops". I have no issues keeping both but with Hamhuis and his 4.5 million and Bartkowski and Weber's basically 3 million coming off too, that's 7.5 million in d men coming off the books that are excess anyways. Plenty enough. They need to get a capable RHD to play 2nd pairing with either Hutton or Sbisa. Then call up Fedun or Pedan to be #7. I want them to trade big for rights to Vatanen.

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Vatanen

Hutton-Biega

Fedun/Pedan as extra.

Of course I'd love to see us get someone like Byfuglien or Hamonic but the asking price for Hamonic will be Tanev. So that's just a sideways deal that does nothing for us. If you can get Byfuglien though, take it. He checks every single box other than youth as to what the Nucks need.

My issue with Tanev is his ability to hold up in CUP play. That is a long term issue and trading him is as I said all about what comes back. Hamonic for Tanev I do in a flash but unfortunately I doubt the NYI feel the same. Again. keeping Edler is all about finding a partner who can positively impact Edler's game. As you pointed out Edler struggles at time and does turn the puck. Quite frankly Edler is not a 1LD but he is what we have. My idea of finding a more complimentary partner is probably wishful thinking. This is why I consider all the d-men tradable other than Hutton.

On January 19, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Odd. said:

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/van160117.html

Pretty obvious. After what happened with Higgins, the Veterans know that the time for them could be running out. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Vrbata/Weber/Hamhuis get traded at the TDL. 

If the Canucks are looking to trade Burrows, this year would probably be the best year as his trade value could possibly sink even further next year than it is right now. Burrows has been great to the franchise, but he knows it's a part of business. 

Absolutely lost it when weber is considered a vet

51 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I wonder if NHL mangagement types come on hockey forums to get ideas or to see what a fan base thinks of a certain player they might be interested in. 

Some posters put in quite a bit of effort in coming up with scenarios. 

I doubt it. However, I wouldn't be surprised if assistance and staff members of the head management do. Scouts, EAs, and anyone who is in the WAR ROOMs, are probably getting their information from everywhere. At the end of the day, it is a matter of opinion and projected value of a player. Was Prust worth Kassian and a 5th round pick? Probably not equal in value, however, somebody convinced somebody in the Canucks that Kassian had too much risk, and Prust filled a role the Canucks lacked. 

Just now, J.R. said:

Not just me.

Offense for one. Physicality and not doing a nightly impression of a steak being tenderized, second.

You mean shooting the puck into other players shin pads? 

Elder is great at tripping over his own feet and falling asleep on the ice. 

Tanev is weak and gets beat up but at least he can defend. 

I'm not a huge fan of either player, but Edler hurts this team more than he helps it. 

7 minutes ago, TU90 said:

You honestly think he's a better D man? 

That's hilarious, what does he do better? 

No doubt, Edler is the best Dman on this Canucks team. There's a lot of Edler hate on these boards lately but he's the best we've got.

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

No doubt, Edler is the best Dman on this Canucks team. There's a lot of Edler hate on these boards lately but he's the best we've got.

That's not saying much. 

Lately? For years. It's not a coincidence or a conspiracy against Edler.

I guarantee Edler hasn't been liked by any of our goalies. 

Archived