The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP Canada's Greatest Athlete

cabinessence

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Well cabinessence, I tried to "Turn 'You' Loose". I figured you'd "Jump" at the chance and "This Could Be The Night" you mention that "Notorious" band. Then we'd be "Lovin' Every Minute Of It" "When It's Over" but alas we are not "The Lucky Ones". :lol:

Well that was pretty  well done. That band is notorious for being dangerous for sure. Maybe by Friday night others while chime in. But with all the gangs in the street, it's never easy to try to steal the thunder from a lady of the 80's. That is unless people call you prissy prissy. Woooh, the kid is hot tonight!

26 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

Although he was a formidable athlete, I don't know if he ever had that title.

You obviously never saw much of him. He was Canada's self proclaimed Greatest Athlete. Whenever he spoke publicly he would refer to himself as Canada's Greatest Athlete. Certain newscasters etc. would introduce him as such.

15 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

You obviously never saw much of him. He was Canada's self proclaimed Greatest Athlete. Whenever he spoke publicly he would refer to himself as Canada's Greatest Athlete. Certain newscasters etc. would introduce him as such.

Wow, I am sorry, I did not know that. Strange how there could be two greatest athletes. I wonder what year Sharpe became #1, and if Gene ever officially announced being overtaken by Sharpe? As shown in teh picture in this story, there was at least one match between the two:

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/18/legendary-wrestler-iron-mike-sharpe-dead-at-67

11 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

Wow, I am sorry, I did not know that. Strange how there could be two greatest athletes. I wonder what year Sharpe became #1, and if Gene ever officially announced being overtaken by Sharpe? As shown in teh picture in this story, there was at least one match between the two:

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/18/legendary-wrestler-iron-mike-sharpe-dead-at-67

"Eugene Nicholas "Gene" Kiniski (November 23, 1928 – April 14, 2010) was a Canadian athlete who played football for the Edmonton Eskimos and later was a successful professional wrestler recognized as a multiple-time World Heavyweight Champion. "Canada's Greatest Athlete", as he billed himself for promotional purposes, was born in Edmonton, Alberta. Like Bronko Nagurski before him, Kiniski was one of the first World Champions in professional wrestling to have a previous background in football. He is the father of professional wrestler Kelly Kiniski and international amateur/professional wrestler Nick Kiniski."

His last match was Feb. 25 1992. It's possible that Sharpe took over the self proclaimed title after Gene retired.

Archived