The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Freidman "I wouldn't be surprised if The Canucks threw some serious money at Stamkos"

17 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

It's a no-brainer the Canucks will be kicking the tires on him.... but that goes for pretty much every single team in the NHL.

That being said, the Canucks will really need to off-load Burrows, Hamhuis, and Vrbata to make this work, and then pray and hope the Sedins will take yet another hometown discount going forward and that players on ELC won't be asking for / unable to ask for a heavy raise. 

Having Stamkos or the Sedins as the 1A, 1B line would make the Canucks almost instant contenders.  That's all assuming the Twins will be 60+ points players, the youngsters continuing to improve and defenders like Hutton, Pedan, Tryamkin, Subban, Brisboise are able to reach their potentials.  A lot of maybes...

How about we add to this :     off load : Hamhuis, Vrbatta, Edler, Miller, Weber, Higgins, Prust, Burrows

up load:  Lucic Stamkos Buff 

(My 3rd pop).         Let's make it work!

25 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I'll take Stamkos if all it costs is salary cap. If we are NOT tanking or having a fire sale at the deadline and aim to be competitive next season, then why the hell would you not even make an offer to one of the more natural goal scorers in the league when you don't even need to give up a single asset to acquire him!

What the hell guys?

Yeah, we need an actual #1 defenceman. Well we've needed one of those for forever so I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime, take the guy that costs only salary cap if he wishes to play hockey here. If he's unhappy in 3-5 years, then we can move him before his contract expires.

The key to this is not to sign him to a NMC/NTC. Keep it limited, but give yourself some wiggle.

Exactly, thank you. No assets given up for the guy who would be our #1 center when henrick retires

15 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

How about we add to this :     off load : Hamhuis, Vrbatta, Edler, Miller, Weber, Higgins, Prust, Burrows

up load:  Lucic Stamkos Buff 

(My 3rd pop).         Let's make it work!

6.5 to 7 for Lucic

10+ for Stamkos

7 for Buff or Yandle.

Around 25 mill needed in Cap space.

Imagine how many seasons tickets would be sold and how much  buzz it would create around this team. Aqua would have a wet spot around the zipper area on his pants as would most Canucks fans.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I never said he would my man, don't put words in my mouth I am far from picking a fight with you.

I am simply stating the truth.  An extended coach means about as much as a Sedin being abused in front of a ref after a whistle in the playoffs.  Which is to say nothing.

Imagine if you will Willie D chasing Horvat and McCaan out and Linden extending him just before this became public.  How long do you think Aquaman would allow that to stand?

Again, coaches are hired to be fired.  If they lose both Stamkos AND Drouin in the next year can you seriously see Cooper still having a job knowing how integral Stammer is to the TBay offense?

seriously, the bolded part made me lol!! good thing I didn't sip my drink pbbly would have been all over my screen

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

6.5 to 7 for Lucic

10+ for Stamkos

7 for Buff or Yandle.

Imagine how many seasons tickets would be sold and how much  buzz it would create around this team. Aqua would have a wet spot around the zipper area on his pants as would most Canucks fans.

Signed to long term contract probably NTC for names like that, kicking our selves in the nuts 5 to 6 years from now when they start to fall off the tracks and can't move there contracts 

1 minute ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Signed to long term contract probably NTC for names like that, kicking our selves in the nuts 5 to 6 years from now when they start to fall off the tracks and can't move there contracts 

Well the idea is that we'd be challenging for the cup in that time frame with those signings.

Stamkos would only be 30-31 at that point.

I don't know if it would be wise to sign Buff or Yandle that long though.

1 minute ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Yeah but so what, I've been watching this team since the early 80's, haven't won nothing and I don't think they will over the next 10 years anyways. 

At Least we'll have Stamkos and Lucic on our team, that's better than Higgins and Prust.

3 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

The land scape will have changed and "BuyOut" will be a #hash tagged word on a contract.

10m /season

Rest can be figured out b4 season starts.

Stamkos is a generational talent, you guys saying "no thanks" "will handcuff team" are high. He makes any line he plays on the top line... I don't care how they make room for him, it would be worth it.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Ok let me know when Cooper gets fired at end of this season.

Stamkos leaving wouldn't be soley based on Cooper.  Tampa has to consider their future cap. Hedman and the triplets are all up for raises over the next two years. They have to consider if stamkos is worth the cost of giving up a couple of other important piece.  That and signing is a two way street.  Stamkos might want to hit UFA and strike it rich as well as choose the city of his choosing.  Sure he and Cooper aren't exactly on the same level as to where he plays but, you can't blame him leaving based on purely the coach

20 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

6.5 to 7 for Lucic

10+ for Stamkos

7 for Buff or Yandle.

Have you seen lucic play this season? Looks like an ape skating in molasses with a chip on his shoulder

41 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

6.5 to 7 for Lucic

10+ for Stamkos

7 for Buff or Yandle.

Spock !!! It's you !!   ;)    Here you go Rocks, 31.5 m. Off Load... For Stamkos, Lucic, and Buff (or Yandle).  

Hamhuis, 4.5m . Vrbatta,5.0m .  Edler, 5.0m . Miller, 6m . Weber, 1.5m .

Higgins, 2.5m.  Prust, 2.5.  Burrows,4.5.

And at the draft table we move Demko and our 1st overall for THE First Overall.

57 minutes ago, shiznak said:

If your boy, Kesler is schedule to make 7M, next year putting up 30-40 points. Then Stamkos is definitely worth 9-10M.

Yeah because a terrible contract is what you want to use to set the bar. I clearly laid out the names of players that I thought were better than Stamkos. If you want to argue that Stamkos is as good as those players, go ahead. If you want to come up with terrible arguments, that will fit right in with pretty much everything else you've said on this forum. 

2 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Have you seen lucic play this season? Looks like an ape skating in molasses with a chip on his shoulder

Yeah but can you imagine him saying " rookies have to look after themselves" like Prust did after McCann got manhandled? Lucic is guaranteed to go ape s^%& if our rookies get abused and he's on this team. 

Listen I think Lucic will re sign in LA and Stamkos won't be coming here, but why not have some fun with it.

If we do get Lucic on a rebuilding team it'll be good for the kids and the Sedins. We've needed a guy like that for 10 years.

It is certainly pie in the sky to think we would get him, but I don't doubt we will put in a call.  With the Canadian dollar not going up and players already ticked off by the amount of escrow they are paying, it is conceivable that they don't use the escalator clause this offseason and the cap stays exactly the same.  

That would mean there would only be a handful of teams with the space to sign Stamkos and we are one of them.

Since there is nothing that says he has a burning desire to come here I think our better play is to use our cap space to make trades with other teams trying to get the space for Stamkos.  We can take on some salaries with our space and can give them virtually nothing in return (a la the Erhoff deal).  We get solid players and even a decent prospect or two and still have next year up at bat for UFAs when Miller and Burrows come off the books.

Archived