The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Welcome to the Canucks Alex Biega

Me16

The guy did it the honest way, paying his dues, learning his craft ... and ultimately nobody expected anything out of him. Sign him to an extension, post haste! Solid guy, plays hard, good teammate, and at 27 he doesn't have much hair left. Hard not to pull for a dude like that.

This guy is dynamite! Im lovin every minute biega is on the ice, never feel worried about his defensive end coverage or whenever he has the puck or its a 1 on 1, he has probably been the most reliable guy on D thus far aside from Hutton. Rarely see him get beat or make a mistake, he is super hard working, good skater, doesnt panic when under pressure and makes the simple plays and tries to chip in offensively by joining the rush. So glad for him and for the team to have him step up and deliver a solid performance night in and night out. Definitely good things to come in the future with him as a part of our D-corp.

He didnt just 'earn' this spot, he showed he belongs

I've enjoyed watching him play. Like that he aggressively jumps into the play in the offensive zone, pretty responsibly defensively, plays with some grit, good skater. He gets exposed occasionally but it isn't from a poor work ethic. Given what we are seeing(and what we saw in more limited time last year) I find it hard to understand how he didn't make the club. However, given Weber's offensive contribution last year he got the last spot.

#good4ubulldog                                                                                                                                                                              Dustin  Byfuglien would look nice on Right Defense ,                                                                                                                                          #iamjustadreamer 

19 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He was pretty bad against NYR but has definately had some strong games and is the best of our "bottom-4" group. Right now I think this is our depth chart:

Eder > Tanev > Hamhuis > Hutton > Sbisa > Biega > Bartkowski > Weber > Pedan > Fedun

That made me sad:mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

.NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports  39s39 seconds ago

J.P Barry the agent for #Canucks defenseman Alex Biega says he talked last week and all weekend with Vancouver management about Biega.

Barry reporting contract talks have been positive with #Canucks about Biega.

3 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

.NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports  39s39 seconds ago

J.P Barry the agent for #Canucks defenseman Alex Biega says he talked last week and all weekend with Vancouver management about Biega.

Barry reporting contract talks have been positive with #Canucks about Biega.

Smart. JB gets it.

1 hour ago, Jack Fig said:

Smart. JB gets it.

JB gets it....really !  When training camp started neither Biega, Hutton or indeed Corrado were in JB's plan for this seasons roster. Now fast forward to today where would Vcr be without both Hutton and Biega ( think about it !! ) and would the Canucks be better with Corrado than Weber or to be truthful Barkowski. The fact is Hutton and Biega have saved major red faces for JB/Linden. This kinda reflects on their ability to recognize talent when they were apprently so willing to flush these guys to Utica in September. I think Hutton and Biega pulled JB's chestnuts from the fire. One thing I think is apprent JB has surrounded himself with yes men. He's good at amateur scouting, or so it seems...time will tell

Biega has played very well since coming up from Utica. What I am liking about the Linden/Benning regime is their willingness to give players opportunities and, if they play well, they earn a job at the expense of somebody who isn't pulling their weight. Biega has just made Weber expendable, just as Baertschi replaced Higgins. I'm thinking Etem will take Vrbata's or Burrows job soon.

Archived