The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Welcome to the Canucks Alex Biega

Me16

This is an excellent move by the team, he is 27 but a late bloomer and hasn't played a full year in the NHL yet. For sure he will continue to develop and improve. Kinda reminds me of slightly smaller version of Scott Hannan (though I never believed his listed height of 6'1"). Fast, physical, error free D-man. Every team needs a guy like this. 

19 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Biega has played very well since coming up from Utica. What I am liking about the Linden/Benning regime is their willingness to give players opportunities and, if they play well, they earn a job at the expense of somebody who isn't pulling their weight. Biega has just made Weber expendable, just as Baertschi replaced Higgins. I'm thinking Etem will take Vrbata's or Burrows job soon.

Don't forget the Zalewski reward.  Great msg sent to every player in the organization.

On 1/20/2016 at 2:21 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

He was pretty bad against NYR but has definately had some strong games and is the best of our "bottom-4" group. Right now I think this is our depth chart:

Eder > Tanev > Hamhuis > Hutton > Sbisa > Biega > Bartkowski > Weber > Pedan > Fedun

I agree that this is what our depth chart actually is right now. This is the order Willie would use. But, personally, I would put Pedan ahead of Bart and Weber. And next year I would expect him to move ahead of Biega and Sbisa. (Nothing against Biega. I expect him to be good value for his cap hit of 750 K.)

Biega is a damn good 7th defenceman but I seriously hope he's not the Canucks future bottom pairing guy full-time. Lets not forget, he's an AHL-full timer and his play really starts to crack under 20+ minutes of NHL time full-time. He's been fantastic under that with sheltered minutes, but once he has to play 2nd pairing minutes against star forwards you start to see how bad he can be. Lets manage him, just like everyone else on this thin blueline, a little better. JB needs to get us some depth back there and stop being content with what we have.

On 1/19/2016 at 6:43 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Is this now when people start making proposals based on Prust, Weber, and a 2nd?  ::D

In what world do you live in that you think we might get a 2nd for either one of those or even for both of them :). (unless your kidding).    I'd say wishful thinking.  I could see a possible 3rd for Prust, but I doubt anything more.  If we get anything for Weber I'd be happy lol, and I feel sorry for whatever team wants or takes him. If we got a second I would probably do a backflip.  

He has been impressive all season and so happy he is taking give away Gill (Weber's spot), he looks to be a patient and good under pressure, which we didn't see with Weber.  Hard work pays off and he has definitely proved it to management glad to see him signed. 

On 2/4/2016 at 4:52 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

You haven't been here for that long, have you?  :P

My post was a fresh take remake on the "Raymond, Ballard, and a 2nd" proposal posts that were prevalent years ago.

I am new to the forums yes.  Only about 3 months :).  So yeah I didn't get any of that.  I actually like Raymond although he had defensive upside atl all :)  Hopefully every single old player on our team besides the Sedins are gone and we do some big offseason signings to go well with our young players, no has been players who are good now and going to get better.

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2016 at 7:45 PM, Jayinblack said:

Don't forget the Zalewski reward.  Great msg sent to every player in the organization.

So you're saying his 1 assist and 1 shot on goal in two games as an injury call-up should have earned him a spot?

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 7:08 AM, Baggins said:

So you're saying his 1 assist and 1 shot on goal in two games as an injury call-up should have earned him a spot?

Just saw this Baggins.  I meant Zalewski getting signed and a call up as a reward for how he was playing (while unsigned).

Glad to see him called back for the season finale though.  Liked his effort in his 2 games.

On 2016-04-08 at 1:55 PM, Jayinblack said:

Just saw this Baggins.  I meant Zalewski getting signed and a call up as a reward for how he was playing (while unsigned).

Glad to see him called back for the season finale though.  Liked his effort in his 2 games.

Ah, sorry for misunderstanding.

Archived