The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Sign Zalewski

37 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

That's a very smart move by Benning. I was hoping this would happen, he'd probably have been a callup by now had he been our property.

I see him developing into an elite pker and energy fourth liner.

Decent size and great skating.

4 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Decent size at 6'2 and 205lbs.  Admittedly, I haven't seen him play, but judging from his offensive performance, it does seem someone as a bottom-6, although did show some offensive flashes in junior and in college.
His PIM is also pretty low.

I'm assuming he's just a very reliable winger, who doesn't take a lot of penalties and will chip in a bit here and there?  How quick of a skater is he?

agreed. but younger and faster doesn't mean top 6, we need these bottom 6 grinders to become younger and quicker too. We have guys that can step in and be good bottom 6 guys which is awesome.

He was a replacement level player when he first played here after signing, but I have seen some praise for him recently from Green. I was a little surprised by it, since apart from him being a solid AHL player I wasn't sure he was doing anything so special to earn notice with the big club. It's too bad I can't find it now as I don't think it was that long ago.

He's got a ways to go to be talking about a fixed spot on the Canucks, but he could be challenging next year for sure depending on who we have in camp.

16 hours ago, cripplereh said:

good to see we keep a player who might make the team next year or be good for trading to get better!

based on how the money is structured, it sounds like someone is hopeful he still plays for the Canucks this year.

edit - or tomorrow?! 

#Canucks sign Mike Zalewski to a two-way deal; recall forward from @UticaComets.

17 minutes ago, apollo said:

If he's called up I hope they scratch Dorsett or prust for him. 

I really can't watch those 2 play anymore. 

Imo, Zal is not near the player that Dorsett is.  D is a great energy guy that has speed and never takes a night off.

For whatever reason, Prust is another story right now.  Unfortunately, I think Bur may be injured.

4 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

Prust I get, but what's wrong with Dorsett? He hasn't been bad by any means.

I'm butt hurt over his worthless giveaways last night... Especially when you see your goalie is standing on his head , has his sticked knocked out, just clear the God damn zone so he can retrieve his stick 

13 hours ago, apollo said:

If he's called up I hope they scratch Dorsett or prust for him. 

I really can't watch those 2 play anymore. 

Sometimes a poster writes something that makes me wonder if he watches the games. Sorry to say this has been such a time. Dorsett has been nothing but good for our team since he came here.

He is solid, decent skill level, speedy, stands up for team mates and unselfish which makes him ideal for our 4th and as a fill in at other positions in an emergency.

So how you can possibly lump him in with Prust and say you "can't watch them" defeats me.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Sometimes a poster writes something that makes me wonder if he watches the games. Sorry to say this has been such a time. Dorsett has been nothing but good for our team since he came here.

He is solid, decent skill level, speedy, stands up for team mates and unselfish which makes him ideal for our 4th and as a fill in at other positions in an emergency.

So how you can possibly lump him in with Prust and say you "can't watch them" defeats me.

It was the 4th line that carried the Canucks earlier this season. It is no mistake when I see Dorsett on a line with younger players. Dorsett along with Burrows, who do not put a lot of points up, but are key players to the roster.

The slag on Prust is being over done. I expect every player should be unhappy about being scratched. 

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It was the 4th line that carried the Canucks earlier this season. It is no mistake when I see Dorsett on a line with younger players. Dorsett along with Burrows, who do not put a lot of points up, but are key players to the roster.

The slag on Prust is being over done. I expect every player should be unhappy about being scratched. 

I agree. 

I don't think Prust has been as bad as some people make out but nevertheless I can understand (in the absence of his enforcing persona) why some may be disappointed in him.

However to express the same disappointment in Dorsett makes me wonder about some of our fans at times. Decent skill, speed, dedication and honest graft seem to be ignored, while gap toothed, partying, misfits are idolised.

54 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Mike Zalewski played a strong, simple game in his first appearance of the season and won 5-of-7 faceoffs, while his line with Virtanen and Dorsett was the lone line to out-attempt the Bruins.

Zalewski played a pretty decent game. I like his size and speed. He was cautious which is understandable. Loved Virtanen's game as well. Dorsett feisty as ever with speed. Get some size into this lineup with speed and it will do a lot to limit the physicality other teams use as a playbook against the Canucks.

Archived