The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Message to Willie... Don't burn out Miller again

*Buzzsaw*

I'm a fan of Ryan Miller.  I think he has done what he was paid for over this and the last season, been a excellent interim goalie on a re-tooling team, he has stolen far more games than he has lost... and when he has lost games, it is usually because he has been over-played and is burnt out.  And he has allowed our backups to develop without pressure.

Miller has just had two great games... with a huge number of shots directed his way... he has had a WORKOUT.

The temptation is to put this guy in for the next one.

DON'T DO IT.

He is an older goaltender, he has just had two very demanding games the last of which has to be a big disappointment, and he needs time to recover and reset.

Markstrom should start the next game.  Why?  Besides the above reasons, he is also playing very well and the Canucks stand to lose nothing, in fact they stand to gain two ways... One, Miller gets a rest and a chance to reset, and Two, Markstrom gets to continue his development.

If Miller is played again, I think there is a good chance he will either have a letdown in performance, or he will get injured again.

WD needs to balance his goaltending chores and use his strength in this position wisely.  Two many times last season and this one Miller has been overplayed and the result has been less than optimum performance and worse, injuries.

Time to let Markstrom put on his own show for the next or next couple games.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why couldn't he? You realize tonight was a shooting gallery right?

If we were to play Arizona, San Jose, or Anaheim in the first round I don't see why not.

Unlike your acting counterpart, I like you. Always have.

But the Canucks have as much a shot at "making it" as Robert DeNiro has at making a watchable film these days.

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

Unlike your acting counterpart, I like you. Always have.

But the Canucks have as much a shot at "making it" as Robert DeNiro has at making a watchable film these days.

Have you looked at the standings lately?

Other than the Kings, no one is pulling away right now in the division.

If this team is gonna throw in the towel because it's a couple points back and competing against average teams like Arizona, San Jose, and Anaheim, then I don't know what to say. One solid win streak at the end of the season may be enough to put them in.

Just now, DeNiro said:

If this team is gonna throw in the towel because it's a couple points back and competing against average teams like Arizona, San Jose, and Anaheim, then I don't know what to say. One solid win streak at the end of the season may be enough to put them in.

I have seen the standings. A team squeaking in doesn't mean they have a legitimate shot at "making it", especially when said team is viewed as weak to begin with. The Leafs squeaked into the playoffs years ago, they didn't have have a legitimate shot. The Jets made it in last year, and they didn't have a legitimate shot.

I like the Canucks, but sometimes a piece of crap is a piece of crap.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Was just discussing this with a good friend. The west with the exception of the hawks is basically a crap shoot.  One solid week here and there and were are actually in 4th or 5th in the tightest conference and div in the league.

We have only 19 wins in regulation but 11 points from OT . We even win half of those OT's in reg and we are battling for 3rd 4th ? sounds crazy bit it's true.

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

I have seen the standings. A team squeaking in doesn't mean they have a legitimate shot at "making it", especially when said team is viewed as weak to begin with. The Leafs squeaked into the playoffs years ago, they didn't have have a legitimate shot. The Jets made it in last year, and they didn't have a legitimate shot.

You gotta be in it to win it !  Not saying we are going to do any damage but anything is possible.

11 minutes ago, Monty said:

When I say make it, I mean into the playoffs, not to the finals.

We have just as good of a shot as Arizona, Anaheim, or San Jose who have all had very average seasons. If the Canucks are healthy, I don't see why they couldn't at least make series out of any of those match ups. (other than maybe San Jose who is a refs wet dream)

11 minutes ago, Monty said:

We have just as good of a shot as Arizona, Anaheim, or San Jose who have all had very average seasons. If the Canucks are healthy, I don't see why they couldn't at least make series out of any of those match ups. (other than maybe San Jose who is a refs wet dream)

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don't be silly, Kelly Sutherland isn't a real ref. 

*also, you didn't hear it from me, but he's probably impotent, too.

17 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

TSN Radio Vancouver @TSN1040 1h1 hour ago

Willie D "We have two good goalies. It might be time to give Miller a breather." #Canuckson1040

IMO he's absolutely right.  I hope he keeps that thinking the rest of the season.

Tonight Miller stole a point.  The game before he stole 2 pts.  The game before that Markstrom stole 2 pts.  Both goalies have been really good lately.

Riding one to the exclusion of the other risks tiring one and leaving the other stale.  Then we risk not seeing the Miller and Markstrom we've been seeing lately.  (Ok, there's no way they can maintain the play they've shown lately, but it would be nice to see them keep playing at a high level most of the time.)

I'm not daft enough to expect an even number of starts, but am interested in seeing what they can do when they both get to play and they both get some rest. 

Archived