The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Message to Willie... Don't burn out Miller again

*Buzzsaw*

49 minutes ago, Monty said:

I have seen the standings. A team squeaking in doesn't mean they have a legitimate shot at "making it", especially when said team is viewed as weak to begin with. The Leafs squeaked into the playoffs years ago, they didn't have have a legitimate shot. The Jets made it in last year, and they didn't have a legitimate shot.

I like the Canucks, but sometimes a piece of crap is a piece of crap.

Please, that's a bit rude don't you think. This is our team, don't like reading this. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Please, that's a bit rude don't you think. This is our team, don't like reading this. 

Is this more acceptable: you can paint a pig, but it's still a pig?

we really are not a very well coached team, which makes us look a lot worse than we should look.

the title to this topic makes is sound like willie somehow misused or abused miller

miller played a lot early in the season mostly due to markstrom being injured and unable to play

then markstrom played a lot more recently when miller was injured

they really have only both been available for short periods of time so far this season

we have no idea yet how willie actually we use them

but i'm thinking 2/3 miller, 1/3 markstrom

which is ok in my view

Just now, Alflives said:

Is this more acceptable: you can paint a pig, but it's still a pig?

we really are not a very well coached team, which makes us look a lot worse than we should look.

Yes, much more acceptable. I love bacon, yummy.

Just don't call em a piece of crap. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Yes, much more acceptable. I love bacon, yummy.

Just don't call em a piece of crap. 

What if it's crap wrapped in bacon?   :lol:

i love our team too, and think our young guys are fast becoming our best players - next to the Twins.  Bo and the boys up front, and Hutton on D.  Then there's Marky in net too.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What if it's crap wrapped in bacon?   :lol:

i love our team too, and think our young guys are fast becoming our best players - next to the Twins.  Bo and the boys up front, and Hutton on D.  Then there's Marky in net too.  

?? Weird..

you're a weird old alien you know that. 

56 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

TSN Radio Vancouver @TSN1040 1h1 hour ago

Willie D "We have two good goalies. It might be time to give Miller a breather." #Canuckson1040

Once again WD missing the point.  When your netminder had to stop 50 shots, the problem is not his fatigue next game.  It's... HOW DOES HE NOT SEE THE PROBLEM HERE??

5 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Once again WD missing the point.  When your netminder had to stop 50 shots, the problem is not his fatigue next game.  It's... HOW DOES HE NOT SEE THE PROBLEM HERE??

I am pretty sure he does. He just recognizes that he probably should give our starter a break because of the amount of work he has put up with in the past two games. Almost 100 shots in two games...

It is not like this is NHL 16 and he controls all the players on the ice at once. It is a team game.

Coach can only help so much, especially if he is given a fringe team that is riddled with injuries and with a lot of inexperience.

It is the players need to do their jobs in front of our goalie and they have not as of late. 

26 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's one of the best goalies when he's on his game, I just don't think WD knows how to get it. We should really try and spell our goalies because they're both fantastic when they're red hot. I think maybe string of 3 games at a time might work

Goalies play their best when they get in a rhythm and play 4 or 5 straight.

I wish they would let each goalie run a little longer. But with the way the D is playing right now the goalies are getting worked alot harder than normal, so it's a little different.

I think if Markstrom plays well in Boston he should get Pittsburgh too. No playing politics, just ride the hot hand.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Goalies play their best when they get in a rhythm and play 4 or 5 straight.

I wish they would let each goalie run a little longer. But with the way the D is playing right now the goalies are getting worked alot harder than normal, so it's a little different.

I think if Markstrom plays well in Boston he should get Pittsburgh too. No playing politics, just ride the hot hand.

It's tricky, because it looks like they need to get into a real rhythm to play their best, but if they go beyond that they get burned out. Likewise if they sit for too long, they become rusty.

I think with the goalies we have though, we might be able to make it work.

It appears Miller takes a little longer to shake off the rust, but can play at his peak for longer than Markstrom who (so far) appears to be ready just about any game and can turn it on after maybe 1 game, but cannot sustain his play for extremely long periods which is common between veterans and young goalies.

With that in mind, maybe we should consider riding the hot hand, so to speak, in waves. For example, give Miller 4 or 5 games in a row with a couple of spot starts here and there for Markstrom, then when Miller starts to show fatigue (or ideally prophylactically) we give the goalies a 50:50 split of games, then wean onto Markstrom while giving Miller a few spot starts to keep him relatively fresh, and then back on to Miller and vice versa in a sort of ebb-and-flow technique. Sounds complicated, and would probably be hard to pull off, but I think that's how we'd get the most out of our two goalies.

8 hours ago, Monty said:

I have seen the standings. A team squeaking in doesn't mean they have a legitimate shot at "making it", especially when said team is viewed as weak to begin with. The Leafs squeaked into the playoffs years ago, they didn't have have a legitimate shot. The Jets made it in last year, and they didn't have a legitimate shot.

I like the Canucks, but sometimes a piece of crap is a piece of crap.

That Leafs team that had "no legitimate shot" came within 51 seconds of eliminating the 5th overall Bruins. It took an epic collapse never before seen in Cup history for them not to win the round.

If you're in, you're not out. The 82 Canucks team were decent team with a goaltender so hot, you couldn't get a dime past him. Rode that all the way to the finals. (OK, then we got destroyed, but the Isle's were a dynasty at the time) And even if we lose in the first round, it's playoff experience for the new guys.

So, I'd like to see our guys make the playoffs. Just don't do anything stupid to get there. Like signing declining FA's to big dollars and term.

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Miller looks like he can still steal a few games in the playoffs if we can get there.

If the rest of the team starts to play at the level he has, we've got a shot at making it.

The defense...

If the Canucks aren't tanking for Matthews, they really should do something about their defense.

One T1D in and the Canucks have a much better chance at winning the Cup. However, usually deadline deals just disturb the already established chemistry.

I'm hoping for a vet sell off at the deadline. Benning seems to benefit from his trades much more than most.

Archived