The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's Get Rid of the 3 point games

this 3 point for games not decided in regulation time just rewards that outcome, making each extra time game overvalued

why?

failure to decide the game in the allotted 60 minutes is not being sanctioned but encouraged

this is a failure outcome in my view

i'd be much happier with 2 points awarded to a winner who achieves that outcome in regulation time, the loser gets 0 points

if game is not decided in regulation, it goes to extra time, 3 on 3, and then shootout, but it gets devalued, and the eventual winner only gets 1 point. the loser gets 0 points

i think that will result in frantic 3rd period hockey and i doubt we'd see many teams attempt to play out the 3rd period for a tie to get into extra time

i know this would hurt the canucks this year, but i cannot stand these 3 point games

2 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

ten minute ot 

After that it's a tie

2 points for a win and 0 points for a tie or loss. (and no point for ot loss)

Only way to get points is to win. No more loser points 

I'd like to see that. Shootout is garbage. 3 on 3 is awesome.

8 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

ten minute ot 

After that it's a tie

2 points for a win and 0 points for a tie or loss. (and no point for ot loss)

Only way to get points is to win. No more loser points 

not sure about the 10 minute overtime

but i could see a rule that says any game tied at the 10 minute mark of the 3rd period

will revert to 4 on 4 for the next 5 minutes

and then 3 on 3 for the final 5 minutes

that would unclog some tied games

1 hour ago, goblix said:

fair opinion.. this will never happen anyways, the NHL loves it's parity and these loser points help clump the teams together

Truthfully, old school, that loser point would simply be a tie point and the other team would have one as well instead of two points for the win.

58 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

but i could see a rule that says any game tied at the 10 minute mark of the 3rd period

Yeaaaa, I don't think messing with regulation time would go over well.

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

That's a pretty interesting idea.

I doubt they'd ever do it, but it's creative and I like the incentives.

3 points win in regulation/4-on-4 overtime

2 points 3-on-3 overtime/shootout win

1 point 3-on-3 overtime/shootout loss

every game is a 3 point game, incentive to score before the gong show of 3on3/shootouts, and incentive to win those too, but disincentives turtling in regulation cause then 4on4 OT's coming and theres still incentive to score before 3on3 / shootout.

depends on OT format they do, 4on4 is still good hockey, 3on3 is there with shootouts.

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

this 3 point for games not decided in regulation time just rewards that outcome, making each extra time game overvalued

why?

failure to decide the game in the allotted 60 minutes is not being sanctioned but encouraged

this is a failure outcome in my view

i'd be much happier with 2 points awarded to a winner who achieves that outcome in regulation time, the loser gets 0 points

if game is not decided in regulation, it goes to extra time, 3 on 3, and then shootout, but it gets devalued, and the eventual winner only gets 1 point. the loser gets 0 points

i think that will result in frantic 3rd period hockey and i doubt we'd see many teams attempt to play out the 3rd period for a tie to get into extra time

i know this would hurt the canucks this year, but i cannot stand these 3 point games

I'd have to disagree that devaluing an OT win to 1 point would lead to frantic 3rd. I think it would be quite the opposite.  Once a team is up by a goal, I feel coaches would want to play even more defensive than they already do to make sure they get the two points. 

We saw it with the 3 on 3, very wide open and exciting at first, but now coaches have made it more about puck control and being defensive first instead of just going for it. 

get rid of the loser point

get rid of the shootout

3 on 3 is a disgrace

7 minutes of 4 on 4 ot

if there's no goal, then it's a tie. each team gets 1 point, move on to the next game. no need to make a mockery of this beautiful sport with constant rule changes

and while we're at it, change the playoff format back to what it was

Archived