The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. Mens Only Charity Group Draws Criticism

DonLever

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

Some of you need to read up on what feminism actually constitutes.

Hint: It doesn't mean that you hate men and think women are superior.

Maybe you need to read up a bit more on what feminism is TODAY.... 60 years ago, yes you are right... but not any more

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

no...we need equal rights.  feminism is a dead joke of a movement.  they are no longer about equality but now more about the degradation of men and mens right up to and including gems such as

A man doesn't even have to touch me for me to feel raped by him

Men do not deserve the custody of their children because they're not equipped to handle raising a child

And my new personal favorite, Why should I have to worry about equality in a labour position, that's what men are there for.

So no, we do NOT need feminism anymore because by and large the initial rights fought so hard for by feminists have been justly awarded and rightfully so, where as now we need equality and womens rights which are VASTLY different than the 

My vagina has a first name and you will call it Ma'am knuckle dragging bull hogs who parade around under the veil of feminism pretending to care about equality when the truth is they only want more and to subjugate those who do not support their views or are not of their gender.

Trust me on this, you haven't lived until you've heard a feminist in one breath mention how men are the evil of the world then tear apart a smart and truly intelligent and caring woman who just so happens to be in a popular magazine wearing less than a burqa because she's "pretty" and therefore objectifying the entire gender

Exactly - the pendulum has swung so far in the other direction now, we need to be more worried about protecting men then we do protecting women...

The definition of feminism is still the same. The root of the cause is equality.

So there are some idiots who have no idea what feminism actually means yet call themselves feminists. That doesn't mean we automatically assume a negative connotation to the word/movement.

1 minute ago, Dral said:

Exactly - the pendulum has swung so far in the other direction now, we need to be more worried about protecting men then we do protecting women...

Nah man, I wouldn't go so far as to say that.

We need to protect people from those who are demanding more for specific minorities or want gender inclusiveness for one gender yet demand openness for everyone else.

Feminism worked.  Now we need equality, now we need peoples rights, mens rights and womens rights.  because feminism today is not about uplifting women to equal status, it is about a prerogative that sees men and women downtrodden so some can have their say.

Too pretty, we need feminism

Too manly, we need feminism

Peoples rights over a minority or a specific genders rights.  

Just now, Dral said:

No it hasn't. Men face no significant disadvantages due their gender.

It's like worrying about reverse racism. Until it becomes a problem, it isn't something to worry about.

My favorite part about this story is how they have an hour to drink before voting on the three charities and then a "post event reception" at the bar afterwards...

Reminds me of that Flintstones episode, where all the guys formed a Volunteer Fire Department, so they could hang out and drink somewhere without the wives giving them a hard time about it.B)

31 minutes ago, Toews said:

No it hasn't. Men face no significant disadvantages due their gender.

It's like worrying about reverse racism. Until it becomes a problem, it isn't something to worry about.

The Gender wage gap is non-existent and no real economist takes it seriously...

More men are raped annually in the US and Canada then women.

Women get sentenced to half the prison term for the exact same crime as men.

Despite representing close to half the number of victims of domestic violence, there are almost no resources for men - yet if you're a woman you will have a warm bed in a safe place tomorrow if you so choose.

Women have a 2 to 1 advantage when looking for a job simply because companies want to appear PC or have a quota to fill. Men are often more qualified to work in a particular job, yet won't get it over a woman.

There are advocacy and support groups EVERYWHERE for women, from university campuses to government groups and yet when a support group for men pops up, it gets yelled at as being sexist.

If you really think men face no serious disadvantages in society today, you are living in a fantasy world. I really could go on, the list is staggering...

14 minutes ago, Dral said:

Despite representing close to half the number of victims of domestic violence, there are almost no resources for men - yet if you're a woman you will have a warm bed in a safe place tomorrow if you so choose.

Women have a 2 to 1 advantage when looking for a job simply because companies want to appear PC or have a quota to fill. Men are often more qualified to work in a particular job, yet won't get it over a woman.

There are advocacy and support groups EVERYWHERE for women, from university campuses to government groups and yet when a support group for men pops up, it gets yelled at as being sexist.

If you really think men face no serious disadvantages in society today, you are living in a fantasy world. I really could go on, the list is staggering...

So much fail here, but the bolded made me laugh out loud. 

17 minutes ago, Dral said:

Well you can always pull a Bruce (whoops I mean Caitlyn) Jenner then?

Then you' can reap all the wonderful benefits of being a female!

19 minutes ago, Dral said:
19 minutes ago, Dral said:

When you make bold statements you need to back it up with more than "because I say so"

try adding a chart like this one:

BN-HB761_Paygap_G_20150223105857.jpg

1 hour ago, jdatb said:

the funny thing is feminists look down at men who defend them

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

no...we need equal rights.  feminism is a dead joke of a movement.  they are no longer about equality but now more about the degradation of men and mens right up to and including gems such as

A man doesn't even have to touch me for me to feel raped by him

Men do not deserve the custody of their children because they're not equipped to handle raising a child

And my new personal favorite, Why should I have to worry about equality in a labour position, that's what men are there for.

So no, we do NOT need feminism anymore because by and large the initial rights fought so hard for by feminists have been justly awarded and rightfully so, where as now we need equality and womens rights which are VASTLY different than the 

My vagina has a first name and you will call it Ma'am knuckle dragging bull hogs who parade around under the veil of feminism pretending to care about equality when the truth is they only want more and to subjugate those who do not support their views or are not of their gender.

Trust me on this, you haven't lived until you've heard a feminist in one breath mention how men are the evil of the world then tear apart a smart and truly intelligent and caring woman who just so happens to be in a popular magazine wearing less than a burqa because she's "pretty" and therefore objectifying the entire gender

Do you honestly think that's fair to the feminists who have worked hard to integrate men into the movement since the end of the second wave?  Did you really think the feminist movement was going to be one unified struggle when there are 3.5 billion women in the world?

There is still gender equality everywhere.  Women are still making less than what men are despite the same job and qualifications.  I think it's gone from .60/1 to .70/1, but it's still there.  There are men and women out there who are fighting for EQUAL WORTH.  Some feminists want women to take the same path as men, and some think differently.  But the feminist movement as a whole isn't trying to usurp power from the men.  Power isn't some finite resource where we play a game of tug-of-war.

Feminists do NOT look down at men who defend them.  It's these blanket statements and an overall fear and hatred of feminism which fuels its own cause.

Archived