The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. Mens Only Charity Group Draws Criticism

DonLever

30 minutes ago, jannik freaking hansen said:

I don't think we should have to tell you that an earnings gap is not the same as a wage gap. Men tend to earn more because they work more hours, are more likely to take overtime, etc. due to women tending to be required to do more in the home, ie. looking after the kids.

That 82% in the middle in there was based off "Full time employees" Those who are spending most their potential work days at home would likely be part time employees. 

The gender gap is still an issue. Sure it's better then the 50's but we've still a ways to go. Especially if we are still in the "don't pay as much because she might get pregnant" stage

2 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

That 82% in the middle in there was based off "Full time employees" 

The gender gap is still an issue. Sure it's better then the 50's but we've still a ways to go. Especially if we are still in the "don't pay as much because she might get pregnant" stage

"Full-time employees" still doesn't mean the same amount of hours worked.  Full time employees who take time off because they aren't feeling well, or to deal with their children are still considered full time employees.  It just turns out they worked less hours. 

41 minutes ago, jannik freaking hansen said:

I don't think we should have to tell you that an earnings gap is not the same as a wage gap. Men tend to earn more because they work more hours, are more likely to take overtime, etc. due to women tending to be required to do more in the home, ie. looking after the kids.

Again, a wage gap differs from an earning gap. The numbers you are quoting comes from the average EARNINGS of the sexes. In the States this represents women earning 77% what men earn. There are many reasons for why this occurs, a lot of it has to do with CHOICES. The myth that women are getting paid less for the same work is ludicrous. Women earn less because they CHOOSE lower paying careers, men go into STEM, women go into the social sciences; although, if the demographics of my classes are any indicator, this is changing and the gap will likely continue to decrease. Plus efforts to get young women into the sciences have been taken through "girl-only science days" sponsored by local schools and libraries in the summer. Again, men to work longer hours and overtime and are traditionally expected to do less in the homestead (as these traditions continue to crumble so likely would the wage gap). Another is seen in women's general unwillingness to negotiate hard, men tend to negotiate better wages for themselves than do women. A real issue for women in the workplace likely comes from the "glass ceiling" and their perceived competence in the workplace, but again, as attitudes change this should disappear.

Getting back to the topic at hand this charity is not "very worrying" as there is a women-only counterpart to this organization, 100womenwhogiveadamn.ca, which as the lack of an article written indicates, receives no grief for their efforts of charity. It's more "worrying" that this professor seems to think that this organization is insidiously forcing their values upon the community. To quote her  "It sends an important message about the vision they have of the future of this community." Excuse me, but what the &^@# is that supposed to mean, does she think they dream of a male-only paradise of sorts? And conversely, does the women-only counterpart not have the same issue than in her eyes? 

Lol women choose lower paying careers. Men are better negotiators. Lol who are you people lol.

3 minutes ago, Dral said:

You don't ?

i think the patriarchal system which conjured up images like He-Man and Barbie set unrealistic, insane standards for everyone. your image paste seems to also suggest that - unless, of course, i'm missing the point?

Just now, GLASSJAW said:

i think the patriarchal system which conjured up images like He-Man and Barbie set unrealistic, insane standards for everyone. your image paste seems to also suggest that - unless, of course, i'm missing the point?

I think the patriarchy is a myth, and these are toys for children... and that was the point...

What most people would define as the 'patriarchy', were people who actually wanted and advocated for women to become a larger part of the work force in the 20's, 30's, 40's because they wanted to be able to TAX them... one of the biggest pieces of evidence against the gender pay gap myth is the fact that governments actually lose out in tax revenue if it was true - so why then, would any government allow it to happen when they can make more money by endorsing a system of equal work for equal pay?

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Well... because women have gotten the shaft for centuries.  Sort of like a school having various minority student associations but not a white student association (or at least without controversy).

Your disdain for feminism is showing.

To me it depends on the purpose of this group.  Is it a business type club, creating an old boys club where women are excluded from legitimate opportunity? Are women hurt by the existence of this group?

Like with a hypothetical "white students association" there's a clear ulterior motive, there's not really any need for white people to band together in unity because white people are generally the majority.  It's clearly hostile and impedes the progress of minorities.

Whereas I don't really see an exclusive or oppressive dynamic in this case - it's not like a male only golf club or sports team, where women are denied the opportunity to play golf or whatever sports.  I just see a bunch of dudes who want to hang out with other dudes and give back to the community - I don't see an issue with that, in fact I think there's value in healthy male bonding, and I think these groups have the capability to be not only harmless, but beneficial.

23 minutes ago, Dral said:

I think the patriarchy is a myth, and these are toys for children... and that was the point...

yes, they're toys for children. that, unto itself, is not a point. are you meaning to say that the point is that children cannot be influenced by body image as presented by toys? if so, why didn't you say so earlier when i asked what the point of that was? and also, there's a whole pile of research that suggests this just isn't true. here's one about boys only: http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1766495 - there's a lot more when you factor in things like Barbie.

beyond that - even the most strident anti-feminists i've read don't deny that the patriarchy was a thing for a very, very long time - and still is a thing in many parts of the world. to what extent it still exists is a bland debate i couldn't care less about personally, but that it existed, period, isn't much of a debate at all...

41 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

yes, they're toys for children. that, unto itself, is not a point. are you meaning to say that the point is that children cannot be influenced by body image as presented by toys? if so, why didn't you say so earlier when i asked what the point of that was? and also, there's a whole pile of research that suggests this just isn't true. here's one about boys only: http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1766495 - there's a lot more when you factor in things like Barbie.

beyond that - even the most strident anti-feminists i've read don't deny that the patriarchy was a thing for a very, very long time - and still is a thing in many parts of the world. to what extent it still exists is a bland debate i couldn't care less about personally, but that it existed, period, isn't much of a debate at all...

Do the toys themselves actually influence body image and there for personal self confidence issues, or are the toys a tool for propaganda and conversation that eventually leads to body image issues? Personally, I grew up as a pretty chubby child, but I loved HeMan... and I really never thought about his muscular physic until I got well into adolescents when the message was "if you want a girl like barbie, you need to be a boy like HeMan"... For me at least, my heroes, whether they be cartoons, toys, characters etc, weren't my heroes because they looked strong, muscular, cut etc - they were my heroes because they stood up for what was right - they looked buff simply because that was an easy way to physically represent that strength of character but what really mattered was there actions - it wasn't until mass media told me otherwise that I should care about how someone looked

I also grew up loving lego and brio - but I never wanted to look like a lego man or a wooden toy train... sure this is anecdotal evidence, but I don't think too many people would disagree..

The link you provided seems to conclude that boys experience the same body issues that girls do, therefore the picture I posted is relevant to point out that this isn't a problem just for women - but rather for society, men and women both...

As for 'patriarchy' care to define what that term means for you? You talk about it in the past tense... the point is, does it exist today? I've already admitted that I completely agree feminism as a movement was necessary for the progression of equality in the past, however today... no. That the 'patriarchy' exists is actually very much up for debate simply by the fact that people are debating it...

Archived