The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

John Garrett calls out the league for their treatment of the Sedins

nuckin_futz

Don't forget Daniel Sedin getting a 10 minute unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after Brad Marchand  punched him repeatedly in the head in the stanley cup finals. That was one of the most insulting things I've seen done to the Sedins by the refs. Daniel asked the ref when he was going to call the penalty. After the 3rd punch? (something like that is what he said). Kelly Sutherland is a gutless coward. If the league doesn't do anything about the shady officiating then I believe that they are in on it.

A few games ago, Kris Versteeg was repeatedly swearing at a ref and he gets no penalty (the audio picked it up and we could all hear it). The Sedins and the Canucks are getting screwed by the league, especially with refs like Kelly Sutherland who should be fired for their biased officiating.  

Also, when Thornton was trashtalking the Sedins in the Florida game, the ref is near them and he even smirks at what Thornton is saying, but then he tries to hide it as he turns towards the Sedins. The Twins get absolutely no &^@#ing respect in this league even from these cowardly refs. Even the refs think they can walk all over them. 

Recognized hockey analysts like Bob McKenzie and Ray Ferraro already called the league on the treatment of Sedins. What Cheech did is making it a little more official, coming from the team's website (but not the extent of making it "real" official to draw ire from the league office).

we all know John is a homer, but he's at least a homer with class unlike Potvin.

Reading this absolutely boils my blood. The nhl is a worthless piece $&!# league. 

Also , I completely disagree with anyone that calls John Garrett a homer. He's not a homer - he's an absolute realist that sees how corrupt this worthless league is and unlike John shorthouse and hundreds of other analysts, he has the cojones to not be a puppet and call the league out on its bs. 

This league has been and always will be, 100% anti Vancouver. Aquaman needs to throw money at every ref and dops to get them to change their tune. It's professional sports, it's all fixed. There's too much money for it not to be fixed. 

I just hope this fixing comes out like it came out for the last world cup (soccer) and now tennis. 

All in all its a pathetic and worthless league but I'll never be able to move on and stop supporting as blue and green runs through my veins. 

Just now, The Weasel said:

Homer or not, he's telling the truth.

Sure he is, everyone already knows this though. 

National media is starting to talk about this lately and HNIC needs to do a cpl of segments on the Sedins now. Local media has been saying this stuff for ever, like a decade.

Just now, fist2face said:

The way to solve problems is by acquiring problem solver players. And playing them. 

Seriously every time it reminds me of a little kid crying to mommy.(league) Time to fight some battles.

Teams are competitive enough as it is. If the refs are against you it can tilt the ice a lot. Fans put in lots of money. We shouldn't need to deal with biased officiating. Getting different players can not solve that. 

Just now, The Weasel said:

Teams are competitive enough as it is. If the refs are against you it can tilt the ice a lot. Fans put in lots of money. We shouldn't need to deal with biased officiating. Getting different players can not solve that. 

Sure it can.

40 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Well, there is this 6'3", 230 BAMF from East Van that might be interested in playing for another Benning team.

Too little too late. They needed protection a decade ago and no one stepped up.

Oh, and until Lucic is actually a Canuck, he can go piss up a rope. F#@k that guy

It's nice to have someone so staunchly in the corner of the twins and team no matter what.  Like that annoying aunt or relative in your life that is always positive abouot you and supports literally EVERYTHING you do...creepily

Living in a market where the biggest newsprint splashes a large full page colour photo of the local team and local cities boy in a national uniform and calling him the GOAT medal winner...it's a nice counterpoint.

As someone just said we need to have that media presence seriously start talking about this and how the league/players treat the twins.  Because the list Garrett wrote, we long time Nuckleheads can agree on is woefully incomplete missing endless slewfoots, slashes jabs and vicious crosschecks 

The twins take now, then and will in the future and obscene amount of abuse from every angle and they hold themselves apart from it in ways that make even the most well bred NA player look like an uncouth piece of trash and they do it every night of every season.

So good on Garrett, just like to have someone more official with the team make a comment about it and see something from HNIC/TSN McGuire, Button any of the bigger names (no frigging milbury or healy) in broadcasting.  Just so everyone can have their own personal favorite say the same thing.

The twins are gems, they're frigging beauties I tell ya

Just now, luckylager said:

No way man, that was very lame. Getting personal revenge at people over sports is ridiculous and entirely weak, like making goofball accusations on a message board because someone doesn't like your boy-crush. Douche

I just don't like the way he plays. Would I like him if he played for the Canucks and lumbered his slow ass to the defense of the twins? Yes, entirely.

Yes, that is totally the same as vandalizing a church. My apologies good sir!

23 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Cheech is such a huge homer no one will take it seriously. 

Even if they did Cheech doesn't have enough national cred to be able to make a difference going forward.

Articles are not really about making a "difference". The point of articles is for a writer to share his views on a topic, so people can read them, and become informed on those views and any facts they may highlight. Whether Gary Bettman reads the article, or only 100 Canucks fans do, is irrelevant.

I found it to be an interesting read that I full heartily agreed with (as should almost every Canuck loyal, to be perfectly honest). That's all there is to it.

Archived