The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

John Garrett calls out the league for their treatment of the Sedins

nuckin_futz

16 minutes ago, HarryCanuck said:

Great take on the Sedins and the Canucks organisation, I am convince the NHL's game management policy first highlighted by Kerry Fraser, a well respected veteran official, is a supporting piece in this infuriating puzzle. 

The bottom line is the NHLs clear mandate to increase commercial market value in "growth US" markets seriously undermines the Canucks organisation. How many years have gone by while we watch the NHL take advantage of the cash cow (top 5 NHL revenue earnings according to Forbes) in Vancouver? Letting serious offences go by unpunished, fining Hansen after McNabb tried to decaputate Henrik is a good example of "keep your mouth shut Vancouver" - how many dives do we witness game in and game out.  

All I would ask is the NHL would treat all teams fairly, this article clearly lays out the NHLs ignorance and lends itself to help pave the way for increasing revenue in loss making or under developed markets elsewhere. It wrong, plain and simple. 

Fair play John Garrett. 

Or go back to the 2013 series vs SJ(24-10, I believe were series pp's?)..never seen such biased garbage. Next some apologist-dweeb will pop up on CDC with their cute lil' "tinfoil hat-theorist BS"...

Maybe just because I was a kid, but back in the 70's & 80's I mostly trusted the NHL officiating, & the game was simply enjoyable. The first major reff/media matter that I recall(ironically) was your aforementioned Fraser in the Quebec/Mtl 1980's wars.

Great article and good on Garrett for sticking up for two super stars that the league chose to neglect. But we as Canuck fans already know this. This message will fall on deaf ears outside of Vancouver and you know the Eastern media bias will see this as Vancouver media 'whining' again...

Speaking of getting no respect, John Garrett also gets no respect from the idiots on SPN. 

If we really want to put an end to this sort of thing we should have got the Sedins an enforcer 5 years ago after the SCF. Eager would not have walked away scot free if Rick had been on the ice or Tanner Glass or even Derek Dorsett. Thankfully, Kassian eventually caught up with him and justice was served.

Forwards who can play big minutes AND enforce are hard to find but really, 5 years? that is gross incompetence by management.

Even when we put Dorsett on the top line we get the moaners on here complaining.

I still maintain however this kind of push back HAS to run throughout the team by draft, trade and philosophical approach. From goalie to press box, that imo is the only way to protect our stars.

8 hours ago, Fanuck said:

If Elliott Friedman or Bob Mac wrote the article everyone would likely be commenting the message,  not the messenger. 

That's because bob Mac isn't a total homer that speaks everything thought that comes to his head.       He is very well respected as a hockey man. 

John wrote the book of homer.     He is well known for whining about everything that doesn't go the canucks way. 

I love listening to John and John. They are great at what they do. 

But John Garrett is not the right man to be writing this article if it is supposed to be takin seariously. 

He isn't wrong though. 

John is bang on.

What I don't understand is why ownership doesn't say anything  (maybe they do and we don't hear about it). Ownership should have a vested interested in protecting their star players. If they don't they are just taking it up the cakehole. 

13 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

And with the way the game is officiated and played, it is almost as if the league has done everything it can to minimize the impact of its star players on the ice,

The way the Sedins can/could dominate a game would be in direct confrontation with the league trying to sell parity. In most games, even at the age of 35, they dominate. If the league didn't allow other teams to "even up" the ice, parity might look like what it is, game management.

I did see the play and I am still not sure the Henrik even touched the puck.

10 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

... That response post was pretty off-topic with the Ovechkin and Karlsson comments; sure they get criticized (Alex for his team's failings, Erik for his offensively-oriented play) but Cheech's post was about the physical abuse that the Twins take and lack of respect from the Player Safety officials in terms of offering them protection through punishing the offender.  If I'm Cheech and I read that post I'd write about how the CBS guy didn't even take the time to read his post properly and figure out the gist of his argument before responding.

Anyways what I'm interested to see is a compilation of unpunished, similar hits on other stars in the League.  Of course it's easy to say that the Twins take unfair abuse (which could be a product of confirmation bias and how guys like Ekblad were protected when Hendricks boarded him recently and received a suspension) but I think the argument could be stronger support for this argument of supposed unfair treatment if other stars are protected by the DOPS all the time, which is what the Twins haven't received.  

I'm not saying Cheech is wrong to say what he has and I very much agree with him personally, but I'm curious to see whether other focal point players in the League (e.g. Sid, esp. in his earliest days, or similar guys) have taken abuse without the League dishing retribution to the offender, who did such deeds in the name of "shutdown play".      

There's something quite disingenuous about what passes for journalism these days. It used to be that if you took on another writer you would use facts to back up your arguments. Cheech cited very specific incidents occurring over a number of years and really he only hit the high notes as there are plenty of other borderline hits that received no penalty (the shutdown plays you speak of).

I also found the number of ticky tack penalties the Twins got in the years that followed 2011 quite odd. They'd go into the corners and deal with hacks, interference, blatant holds, and rarely draw a PP. But if they put their stick on an opponent at all they were off to the box. That hasn't been so bad the last couple of seasons, but there was a long stretch where there was no explanation for what was going on and you could hear it in John and Johns' commentary. Many nights they were mystified. This built up in Cheech for a number of years and is not a knee jerk reaction to just one play.

As an aside, I see that the NHL has fought desperately to seal Campbell's emails in relation to the DOPS ETC. The NHL arguing that the release of those emails would be detrimental to business. Really? How could that be if they were related to player safety? Could it be that business and player safety are too closely intertwined and thus we see unexplainable decision making in the DOPS? Would that explain the high turnover in DOPS? The NHL now has to release those emails, unfortunately they don't have to go back for enough for my liking. 

11 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Unbelievable the Ben eager hit was only 2 minutes.

The Tim Thomas one though I thought didn't warrant a penalty. 

I disagree about TT. Refs know that goalies need to be protected. The code (and I'll have to check with Sean Thornton to verify) but the code says that because goalies aren't allowed to be hit, they actually aren't allowed to throw hits. Another precedent setting turn of the blind eye by the stripes in that series. Irrespective of it also being interference. 

If it's supposed to be about respect and safety it should be about all players not just stars or a select few. A bad hit on a Sedin or Crosby or Ovi should be the same as a bad hit on a marginal player who plays 35 games in the league as a career. 

14 hours ago, luckylager said:

Can't disagree with Cheech on that. Another huge problem the twins have always faced is playinging on a team that doesn't attempt to rip the heads off of anyone who even breathes on them (the twins); it's disgraceful and embarrassing. 

The twins have seldom been on the ice with teammates that are willing to kill for them, and that's a crying shame.

They're our generals, and not a single soldier has ever stuck their neck out for them. Disgraceful and embarrassing once again.

Part of the conspiracy: anyone who retaliates on behalf of the Sedins are punished by the league and crucified by the media and fans. You see Chara jump someone for touching a Bruin? Well, good for him, that's just Bruins hockey, nothing more to see! Such is life as a Canucks fan.

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

That's because bob Mac isn't a total homer that speaks everything thought that comes to his head.       He is very well respected as a hockey man. 

John wrote the book of homer.     He is well known for whining about everything that doesn't go the canucks way. 

I love listening to John and John. They are great at what they do. 

But John Garrett is not the right man to be writing this article if it is supposed to be takin seariously. 

He isn't wrong though. 

Denis Potvin stole John's title as Biggest Homer though, just last week! :P

5 minutes ago, Haikara said:

Part of the conspiracy: anyone who retaliates on behalf of the Sedins are punished by the league and crucified by the media and fans. You see Chara jump someone for touching a Bruin? Well, good for him, that's just Bruins hockey, nothing more to see! Such is life as a Canucks fan.

And that the Sedins are soft for not handling their own business. And if they try to they are dirty. 

Archived