The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

John Garrett calls out the league for their treatment of the Sedins

nuckin_futz

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

If the Nucks were out of the playoffs, it would be worth every penny or day of suspension.

..and Toronto media blathering on. Never mind all the major US media rehashing the Bertuzzi 'incident' which would surely happen. We'd have a major, bright and negative spot light on us again and for a long time...

9 minutes ago, theminister said:

It would be an interesting experiment for Daniel to Churla someone like Keith back.

Exact same play Mar 25th vs Chicago, putting him out for the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Can you imagine the backlash though :unsure:

... Just the repeated phone calls to Keith in the middle of the night:

hushed voice: "Snart...du!"

Then March 25th, totally McSorley Kane.

The article is bang on but too bad it is not written by someone with more credibility so it will go unnoticed.  I miss hockey before the Bettman regime took over.  Officiating has become a massive joke since money became the key objective of the business.  It's no coincidence that no Canadian market has won a Stanley Cup since Bettman took over.  Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver have all been robbed of the cup due to piss poor officiating.  It has become apparently that the NHL does have an agenda to passively assist the US market to grow sales.  

I actually find it more enjoyable to watch Junior games because the reffing is a lot more fair.  They call it with way less bias.  Some of the refs in particular are god awful in the NHL with a clear bias and it's sickening (cough Sutherland cough).  But Canadians will continue to watch because it's our sport and Bettman will continue to reign because he makes the owners money.  So in the end, nothing will ever happen and the corruption will roll on.  

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

..and Toronto media blathering on. Never mind all the major US media rehashing the Bertuzzi 'incident' which would surely happen. We'd have a major, bright and negative spot light on us again and for a long time...

As if Toronto or US media need an excuse to bring up past wrongs (Bertuzzi, Burrows).  Trying to be nice and play by the rules has made the Nucks a target for unfair treatment by the league and abuses by other teams.  WE need to stop playing the game to please others.  Duncan Keith certainly didn't care about the media or league response when he exacted retribution on Daniel.

15 hours ago, M A K A V E L I 96 said:

Henrik needs to deliver a Pavel Bure type elbow one of these days.

100% this.   The mother of all elbows was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Twins have been playing harder than i have ever seen over the last 3 seasons taking even more abuse now than ever before.   I doubt we ever see one of them stoop to the levels going Kessel on someone but If any players are justified in handing out some savage 2 handed slashes to the faces of these POS it is the twins.

37 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

As if Toronto or US media need an excuse to bring up past wrongs (Bertuzzi, Burrows).  Trying to be nice and play by the rules has made the Nucks a target for unfair treatment by the league and abuses by other teams.  WE need to stop playing the game to please others.  Duncan Keith certainly didn't care about the media or league response when he exacted retribution on Daniel.

I don't disagree but if people think the media treats us like garbage now...

I doubt most people here would be prepared for it and given how fragile a lot of CDC seems to be, I worry for them :lol:

Over the years I've seen the Sedins take a beating and most of the time they don't retaliate or do anything about it.  Pavel Bure took a beating however he showed that he wasn't going to take that beating and retaliated sometimes but even then Pat Quinn felt the need to put Gino Odjick or Sergio Momesso on the same line with Bure to keep goons off him.  The NHL doesn't play like that anymore so the Sedins are usually on their own.  I bet if one of the Sedins did go and elbow someone back, that he'd get a 50 game suspension or something outlandish like that.

I know Vancouver is one of the most hated teams in the league yet is one of top 5 profitable teams in the NHL and Bettman seems to be ignoring that since he likes money.

9 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

I know Vancouver is one of the most hated teams in the league yet is one of top 5 profitable teams in the NHL and Bettman seems to be ignoring that since he likes money.

Bettman just does what the owners want him too so demonising him is too simple (though he makes an easy target).

The whole "most hated team" thing is more about disgruntled fans most times and most teams fan bases generally feel the same way (hard done by and picked on).

3 minutes ago, Quoted said:

Bettman just does what the owners want him too so demonising him is too simple (though he makes an easy target).

The whole "most hated team" thing is more about disgruntled fans most times and most teams fan bases generally feel the same way (hard done by and picked on).

I lived in Calgary and Missisauga and Hamilton before and always heard the hate for the Canucks, then again I also heard a lot of "Leafs sucks" too which still makes me chuckle today.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I don't disagree but if people think the media treats us like garbage now...

I doubt most people here would be prepared for it and given how fragile a lot of CDC seems to be, I worry for them :lol:

It would certainly dominate CDC discussion for quite some time. 

1 hour ago, Creepy Crawler said:

I lived in Calgary and Missisauga and Hamilton before and always heard the hate for the Canucks, then again I also heard a lot of "Leafs sucks" too which still makes me chuckle today.

If you ever visit any of the other team's fora, you see many with the same number of conversations/comments. I recall reading a bunch on the Leafs site about how unfair the officials are to the Leafs and that there is some NHL conspiracy to keep them down. Like with Vancouver, and other profitable clubs, it really makes no sense for the league to hurt the teams that are contributing the most financially (business wise). One the ice, sadly, I do think the Canucks reputation from a few years ago (diving, chirping) is still a bit of a legacy and until the team has changed over a bit more, will still be a bit of a issue (rightly or wrongly, it is reality).

I think what we are seeing is the failure of the NHL and DOPS to protect the league's best assets.  IN the old days (dating myself) teams had toughness in their line up to deter anyone taking a shot at their stars.  Gretzky had Semenko and others. If a player took a cheap shot at a star, they would have to answer the bell and likely get their ass handed to them.  It was an effective deterrent.

Over time, the NHL has introduced measures to eliminate the self-policing by the teams and has appointed itself protector of players and a deterrent to aggressive acts against stars.  It isn't working!!  Players in the midst of a game are not intimidated by the DOPS where they might be about getting their head caved in.  It's just the nature of the beast.

More and more, since DOPS has taken over, we are seeing blatant attempts to injure or actions that result in such injuries and the league's disciplinary actions are having no effect at all in preventing it. 

29 minutes ago, Quoted said:

If you ever visit any of the other team's fora, you see many with the same number of conversations/comments. I recall reading a bunch on the Leafs site about how unfair the officials are to the Leafs and that there is some NHL conspiracy to keep them down. Like with Vancouver, and other profitable clubs, it really makes no sense for the league to hurt the teams that are contributing the most financially (business wise). One the ice, sadly, I do think the Canucks reputation from a few years ago (diving, chirping) is still a bit of a legacy and until the team has changed over a bit more, will still be a bit of a issue (rightly or wrongly, it is reality).

The real problem is that NHL ref's tend to do a mediocre and inconsistent job league wide while lacking any sort of (league) transparency (or repercussions) when they really 'fork' things up.

DOPS is just an extension of that incompetence, lack of transparency and massive inconsistency. 

While I agree the twins don't get their due respect (or protection) from the league and refs (or a lot of other players) and players like Burr can at times be targeted by refs, the same can be said for other teams stars and crap disturbers. 

Basically the league's officiating/supplementary discipline is terrible, inconsistent and lacks any sort of unbiased oversight or consequences for that lack of oversight.

The Sedins are just our resident victims of a systemic problem.

Archived