The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

16.5? say what?

bushdog

1 hour ago, bushdog said:

tons of optimism about dropping 16.5 mil in salary at the end of the season, but I have yet to hear any of you 'official fans' take a look at the whole roster - Utica and here.  yup, drop that 16.5 and grab all of the free agent stars!!  but don't any of you goofs know that we have as many as 13 ufa's to resign?  baertschi and vey and pedan and grenier and more.  my math skills tell me that if they drop 16.5 and have to cough up maybe another 5 to resign some of these guys that we're left with likely less than 10 to play with.  i'm assuming some will definitely play for the nucks.  and if we make any trades we'll only get a partial reduction on the salary dump - if any. rosters change and we'll see some of that, but try to keep it in perspective.  babbling about the magical 16.5 without taking other costs into consideration is a waste of web space at this time of year.

Life-changing stuff, but more importantly, I'm going for lunch.

Yes. And Benning is licking his chops at the opportunity.

We don't have an iron clad plan in place at the moment because we don't know how those UFAs are going to play out. Best to let them play out the season and then re-evaluate them based on the larger sample size.

The message is simple. If you play better, you'll get a better contract. So play better, now.

Sedin (7.0)  Sedin (7.0) Hansen (2.5)  = 16.5

______     Sutter(4.375) Burrows (4.5) = 8.875

Baertschi (1.5) Horvat (.894) Virtanen (.894)   = 3.288

Gaunce (.833) McCaann (.894)  Dorsett (2.65) = 4.373

Etem (.9) Vey (1.1)  = .2

Edler (5.0) Tanev (4.45) =  9.45

Hutton (.896) Sbisa (3.6)=4.496

Pedan (.9) Biega (1.25) =2.15

_____

Miller (6.0) Markstrom (1.55) Luongo (.8)= 8.35

That = 59.4 (including player bonuses)

Light blue are estimates on players getting raises, so + or – around 1-2 million.

With a cap that could rise up 3 million

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=791523

That means we’d have right around 16.5 in cap space to fill 2 roster spots on our 23 man team. 

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

_____

Light blue are estimates on players getting raises, so + or – around 1-2 million.

That means we’d have right around 16.5 in cap space to fill 2 roster spots on our 23 man team. 

Aw, You had to go and break the chain and post something actually useful.

17 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

_____

This is why you have to draft and develop players! Seeing all those ELC's on there is beautiful to behold and allows cap space to sign good players and fill needs

There is probably a real topic here, but they way you've gone about it creates dissension on the first page. Start with who we have to re-sign, make a real list. Of the apparent 16.5, then you have to factor in who we're losing - mainly a top 6 forward and a top 4 D in that cap space. 

You're right in as much as a portion of the money will be tied up, but your point is completely lost in your inability to actually articulate said point. 

tons of optimism about dropping 16.5 mil in salary at the end of the season, but I have yet to hear any of you 'official fans' take a look at the whole roster - Utica and here.  yup, drop that 16.5 and grab all of the free agent stars!!  but don't any of you goofs know that we have as many as 13 ufa's to resign?  baertschi and vey and pedan and grenier and more.  my math skills tell me that if they drop 16.5 and have to cough up maybe another 5 to resign some of these guys that we're left with likely less than 10 to play with.  i'm assuming some will definitely play for the nucks.  and if we make any trades we'll only get a partial reduction on the salary dump - if any. rosters change and we'll see some of that, but try to keep it in perspective.  babbling about the magical 16.5 without taking other costs into consideration is a waste of web space at this time of year.

First of all, tough guy, the guys you listed are RFAs, not UFAs.  Second, you didn't apparently include their capspace in your calculation, so all that's needed to account for is the raises they get.  Third, it's possible some of them take spots from veterans (eg. Pedan and Grenier) and thus an actual decrease in overall cap.

Weren't you told to stay away from electronics until the swelling went down? Ya goof!

tons of great responses - Thanks folks!!  lol  seems a lot of you woke up on the sunny side of the bed today!!  the 16.5 is the figure that's been tossed around for quite a while, I was just taking a slightly different point of view to see how folks would respond.  great!!

This guy f***s.

47 minutes ago, bushdog said:

tons of great responses - Thanks folks!!  lol  seems a lot of you woke up on the sunny side of the bed today!!  the 16.5 is the figure that's been tossed around for quite a while, I was just taking a slightly different point of view to see how folks would respond.  great!!

What are you, Sam Pepper?

Archived