The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Message Management is Sending to it's Players

ThaManbeast

Does anyone else here agree that it's a really nice breath of fresh air having Benning, Linden, & Co. running the Canucks organization? This is the first time I can remember a management group being this transparent with the fans. From the Higgins trade availability to the thoughts and opinions of players and prospects when asked in interviews. But, what my favourite quality of the current regime is the message that they've recently been sending to the players of the team. Beginning with the Chris Higgins demotion to Utica. This shows the veterans of the squad that they can no longer be complacent and keep their jobs with the big club. Which has been the case in recent years. Perform or you're out. And secondly, is the Mike Zalewski contract offer and call up. This one is big because it shows the entire organization that it doesn't matter who you are, AHL contract or seasoned veteran, if you play hard, you'll get a shot. Thoughts on the job Benning and Linden have done so far?

Absolutely a breath of fresh air.

I've said numerous times that the follow through on their commitment to play the kids (rather than signing more nuts n bolts guys) is the most exciting thing management has done since bringing in Luongo.

Those that were on WD while he was trying to get a group of kids to play correctly must have secretly hoped that each of these kids was going to be a Calder candidate. Now the team is playing hockey the right way and I think the coaches and management look amazing (no matter where we end up in the standings, as long as we're playing hockey right).

I haven't been this excited about the Canucks for years.

What I like about Benning is how open he is when interviewed..he will talk about anything team related and gives an open answer..not like Gillis who was aggravating to listen to with all his evasive answers....I like TL and JB for the most part..want to see what happens when we have some cap space...looks like we wont be drafting top 10 with our goalies playing lights out..like to see how JB subsidizes that.

I agree and it all start at the beginning of the year when Jake and Jared made the team.  Really unheard of until last year with Bo and that was a revelation in itself.  Higgins waiving was the first time I can ever remember a Canuck veteran, that was playing 'ok' being waived and sent to the minors at $2.5M.  Ya we had Tom a few years ago but not the same thing.  And then what went on with Zalewski in the past few days and being brought up and played, a very strong message.  Management is demonstrating that it is serious and will do whatever it takes to get this team to where they want it to be, regardless of how popular their decisions are at the time.

They are clearly playing the long game.  Very refreshing.

The team has a direction they're heading in that is predetermined and Benning has an idea of what types of players he needs to make this happen. 

Willie, while looking haphazard at first, has been quite good at getting younger players to play a cohesive and responsible team game. There is chemistry on the ice and excitement. 

The goal is the playoffs for the team and management, but as a fan, the season to me is already a success. Youth is being served, and a huge part of that equation is the truly inspirational play of the veterans,  especially the otherworldly Sedins, and Miller as of late. 

Add to this, an upcoming offseason full of endless possibilities, and the future looks very exciting. 

I like when management tells you what their mandate is...because then you know if they are following it, or just blowing smoke. They're looking at young players to see what they have for the future. The days of vets being granted ice-time because of their tenure is swiftly coming to a close.

Like Manbeast said....perform or you're out. That is the best measure for fairness. The players by their competitive nature set the bar, and the stragglers will be left behind. As it should be.

We should have a competition on "What did Willie whisper in Sven's ear just before he went out and scored?"

"Look son, get out there and put one in the onion bag and shut that p----k Jack Edwards up"

Whatever it was, it sure worked. I have always had faith in the coach and the management I just thought they needed the fans to be more patient. I have sometimes balked at some of JB's trade moves but in the end he is the GM and I'm just a fan.

39 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

What I like about Benning is how open he is when interviewed..he will talk about anything team related and gives an open answer..not like Gillis who was aggravating to listen to with all his evasive answers....I like TL and JB for the most part..want to see what happens when we have some cap space...looks like we wont be drafting top 10 with our goalies playing lights out..like to see how JB subsidizes that.

I know I'm being pessimistic, but I'll be curious to see how open management will be after a couple more years of dealing with the insinuitory and adgenda-ridden inflammatory simpletons in our media. 

Sekeres, Pratt, & Botch (primarily) know objective reporting about as well as Sutherland, Peel & Auger know objective reffing. 

I've said many times on here, especially a couple seasons ago, this organization has to start doing things differently if they want to succeed. They need to make unconventional moves and break from the norm. The conventional, status-quo approach hasn't produced a cup, so it only makes logical sense to do the opposite of what's expected or perceived as the norm.

To that point, JB and TL have become more transparent, they're making bold moves to usher in youth, they're giving prospects real opportunities, they're changing the work ethic/culture, creating depth and development, and more. Most of all, they're creating change, which is something past regimes were afraid to embrace.

Refreshing? Abso-freakin-lutely!!!

I think a huge positive with this regime is the lack of dragging their feet due to pride.  Once JB evaluates and determines there's a move to make (no matter how small) that improves the current situation, he makes that move regardless of the optics on previous moves/acquisitions.

GMMG and Burke were too proud of themselves to backtrack on their moves.

Archived