The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Message Management is Sending to it's Players

ThaManbeast

36 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The team has a direction they're heading in that is predetermined and Benning has an idea of what types of players he needs to make this happen. 

Willie, while looking haphazard at first, has been quite good at getting younger players to play a cohesive and responsible team game. There is chemistry on the ice and excitement. 

The goal is the playoffs for the team and management, but as a fan, the season to me is already a success. Youth is being served, and a huge part of that equation is the truly inspirational play of the veterans,  especially the otherworldly Sedins, and Miller as of late. 

Add to this, an upcoming offseason full of endless possibilities, and the future looks very exciting. 

Blunt, I'm really enjoying watching the games these days. Every night we have youth out there striving to prove they belong, with all the attributes of energy, hunger and enthusiasm that go with it. Even in tougher environs, the kids are doing plenty of good things, but most of all they're showing calm, playing in dirty areas and skating well. On top of that, Markstrom is beginning to look like he might be a guy who can be a good starter at some point. Benning & Co stuck with him, showed faith, and now he's coming through for them. A fine-looking bit of planning, that.

I'll take a year like this, even missing the playoffs as opposed to that wool-over-the-eyes season last year of over 100 points on the backs of a bunch of old farts who put their feet up once the playoffs started. This year is more real. It means something.

45 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I've said many times on here, especially a couple seasons ago, this organization has to start doing things differently if they want to succeed. They need to make unconventional moves and break from the norm. The conventional, status-quo approach hasn't produced a cup, so it only makes logical sense to do the opposite of what's expected or perceived as the norm.

To that point, JB and TL have become more transparent, they're making bold moves to usher in youth, they're giving prospects real opportunities, they're changing the work ethic/culture, creating depth and development, and more. Most of all, they're creating change, which is something past regimes were afraid to embrace.

Refreshing? Abso-freakin-lutely!!!

i like the etem pick up ,only because it raises the bar a little for the prospect pool,quite sure that raised some eye brows in utica.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The team has a direction they're heading in that is predetermined and Benning has an idea of what types of players he needs to make this happen. 

Willie, while looking haphazard at first, has been quite good at getting younger players to play a cohesive and responsible team game. There is chemistry on the ice and excitement. 

The goal is the playoffs for the team and management, but as a fan, the season to me is already a success. Youth is being served, and a huge part of that equation is the truly inspirational play of the veterans,  especially the otherworldly Sedins, and Miller as of late. 

Add to this, an upcoming offseason full of endless possibilities, and the future looks very exciting. 

I agree. There is a positive (winning) future for the Canucks and their fans.

8 hours ago, ThaManbeast said:

Does anyone else here agree that it's a really nice breath of fresh air having Benning, Linden, & Co. running the Canucks organization? This is the first time I can remember a management group being this transparent with the fans. From the Higgins trade availability to the thoughts and opinions of players and prospects when asked in interviews. But, what my favourite quality of the current regime is the message that they've recently been sending to the players of the team. Beginning with the Chris Higgins demotion to Utica. This shows the veterans of the squad that they can no longer be complacent and keep their jobs with the big club. Which has been the case in recent years. Perform or you're out. And secondly, is the Mike Zalewski contract offer and call up. This one is big because it shows the entire organization that it doesn't matter who you are, AHL contract or seasoned veteran, if you play hard, you'll get a shot. Thoughts on the job Benning and Linden have done so far?

Benning and LInden have certainly done a good job of doing what the owner has asked -- rebuild the team while remaining competitive. The Canucks made the playoffs last year and, right now, are better than 50-50 to make the playoffs this year. (Hockey Reference has them at 48% right now but that does not factor in the injury situation and the Canucks figure to improve with Sutter, and Hammer back in the line-up. See http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/playoff_prob.cgi )

Last night, the Canucks had 7 guys in the line-up who are 23 or younger (the normal cutt-off for talking about "young" players). And Markstrom, at 25, is young in "goalie years". And Sbisa and Tanev, at 25 and 26 are still young enough ("early prime") as defencemen that they might still improve further. And Shinkaruk, Gaunce and Pedan in Utica appear to be on track to contribute at the NHL level (although that is always uncertain until they actually make it). And we expect Demko and Boeser to make it fairly soon.

So the Canucks have rebuilt. And, as I have noted in other posts, I think WD has done a great job of developing young players and getting the most out of the team overall.

So I think that Linden, Benning, and WD have done everything that Aquillini could reasonably have hoped for. 

That said, the team still depends very heavily on its two franchise players (the Sedins), as it has for the past 12 years or so. I still think that to contend for a Cup in a few years the team will need a couple of players at that level -- either two high scoring forwards or maybe a really good scoring forward and a Norris-contender type D. That is what pretty much all Stanley Cup contenders have -- two really elite players.

At this stage, no-one in the pipeline looks likely to reach that level. Doug McLean and others have said that Horvat looks likely to be a very good 2C -- maybe better than Kesler -- and that is great, but not enough to replace the Sedins.

Usually the place you get really high end players is in the top few picks in the draft (the same place the Sedins came from). So, while I agree that Linden, Benning and WD have done a great job of doing what they were asked to do, I continue to have mixed feelings about the best way to (re)bulid a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.

But this year's team could be interesting if they make the playoffs. A hot goalie, a hardworking team, and a few lucky bounces can take a team a long way in the playoffs. And the Sedins are still very good.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

We should have a competition on "What did Willie whisper in Sven's ear just before he went out and scored?"

"Look son, get out there and put one in the onion bag and shut that p----k Jack Edwards up"

Whatever it was, it sure worked. I have always had faith in the coach and the management I just thought they needed the fans to be more patient. I have sometimes balked at some of JB's trade moves but in the end he is the GM and I'm just a fan.

Sven had just turned the puck over before going off. Willie just reminded him that minutes come with responsible play. Another example of great coaching. Not being angry or berating the kid, just a little whisper in the ear for confidence.

11 hours ago, ThaManbeast said:

Does anyone else here agree that it's a really nice breath of fresh air having Benning, Linden, & Co. running the Canucks organization? This is the first time I can remember a management group being this transparent with the fans. From the Higgins trade availability to the thoughts and opinions of players and prospects when asked in interviews. But, what my favourite quality of the current regime is the message that they've recently been sending to the players of the team. Beginning with the Chris Higgins demotion to Utica. This shows the veterans of the squad that they can no longer be complacent and keep their jobs with the big club. Which has been the case in recent years. Perform or you're out. And secondly, is the Mike Zalewski contract offer and call up. This one is big because it shows the entire organization that it doesn't matter who you are, AHL contract or seasoned veteran, if you play hard, you'll get a shot. Thoughts on the job Benning and Linden have done so far?

IT is a refreshing change from the Gillis/Nonis/Burke days. Although I did like how Burkie wasn't shy to pull a John Garrett and call out the officials and the league. I like how they've given a lot of different guys call ups this year, even if they haven't always gotten to play. They get a pay raise for a week and a chance to fit in with the team and learn how the big team practices. 

IMO Benning has made great trades, and has improved the team with each one. A lot of the moves (trades/signings) that he took flak for immediately afterwards, are looking better and better with time (Kesler deal, Sbisa/Dorett contracts, Baertschi, and recently even Linden Vey is starting to look like he could still pan out)

I like the direction we're headed, there has been a lot of change in the past 2 years weather we as fans acknowledge it or not.

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

i like the etem pick up ,only because it raises the bar a little for the prospect pool,quite sure that raised some eye brows in utica.

Raising the bar is a good thing. Makes everyone worker harder. As long as Etem continues to raise his bar, it'll have a ripple effect down below. Starting to see the culture that management said they wanted to change. Good stuff!

35 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Benning and LInden have certainly done a good job of doing what the owner has asked -- rebuild the team while remaining competitive. The Canucks made the playoffs last year and, right now, are better than 50-50 to make the playoffs this year. (Hockey Reference has them at 48% right now but that does not factor in the injury situation and the Canucks figure to improve with Sutter, and Hammer back in the line-up. See http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/playoff_prob.cgi )

Last night, the Canucks had 7 guys in the line-up who are 23 or younger (the normal cutt-off for talking about "young" players). And Markstrom, at 25, is young in "goalie years". And Sbisa and Tanev, at 25 and 26 are still young enough ("early prime") as defencemen that they might still improve further. And Shinkaruk, Gaunce and Pedan in Utica appear to be on track to contribute at the NHL level (although that is always uncertain until they actually make it). And we expect Demko and Boeser to make it fairly soon.

So the Canucks have rebuilt. And, as I have noted in other posts, I think WD has done a great job of developing young players and getting the most out of the team overall.

So I think that Linden, Benning, and WD have done everything that Aquillini could reasonably have hoped for. 

That said, the team still depends very heavily on its two franchise players (the Sedins), as it has for the past 12 years or so. I still think that to contend for a Cup in a few years the team will need a couple of players at that level -- either two high scoring forwards or maybe a really good scoring forward and a Norris-contender type D. That is what pretty much all Stanley Cup contenders have -- two really elite players.

At this stage, no-one in the pipeline looks likely to reach that level. Doug McLean and others have said that Horvat looks likely to be a very good 2C -- maybe better than Kesler -- and that is great, but not enough to replace the Sedins.

Usually the place you get really high end players is in the top few picks in the draft (the same place the Sedins came from). So, while I agree that Linden, Benning and WD have done a great job of doing what they were asked to do, I continue to have mixed feelings about the best way to (re)bulid a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.

But this year's team could be interesting if they make the playoffs. A hot goalie, a hardworking team, and a few lucky bounces can take a team a long way in the playoffs. And the Sedins are still very good.

Don't forget the close to 16 Mill in Cap space that has been freed up for one of the best free agent pools in years this offseason. If we can land a big free agent or two, this team could be very different for next year.  As the plan put in place by the current brain trust of this organization plays out, it's looking better and better. I trust that other wrinkles will unfold over the next offseason that will leave me just as pleasantly surprised. 

How quickly things change. In the summer articles were being written about how the Canucks seemed to have no direction.

"I think it’s safe to say there are a lot of reasons to be concerned about the future of the Canucks. The seeming lack of direction from the teams management is a concern. Many teams in the West have improved their teams considerably while the Canucks have done very little. Benning’s returns on the trades haven’t exactly been home runs either. Maybe the Vancouver market over valued its commodities, or maybe Benning is just really bad at trading. Preaching about getting younger while giving up on Kassian seems to counter that philosophy (although Benning did hint today at off ice reasons for the departure of Kass)."

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/07/canucks-off-season-of-uncertainty-continues/

To me JB has been open and honest right from the get go. He's done essentially everything he said he planned to do. I love the chances he's taken on young guys like Vey and Baertschi, who look like they are starting to develop into competent players at the NHL level in their young careers. Add Etem into that group as well now. The ceiling isn't set for players like this yet. Time will tell but they all have the potential to become very solid pieces of this team for many years to come. 

JB and TL have done a great job turning this team over and trying to get younger and faster. With the amount of cap space they should have this summer, I'm excited to see how this team shapes up next year. If the young guys keep developing, they pick up a solid free agent or 2, I think this team could be very formidable in the coming years. 

Man, i wish we could find a way to land Drouin...

I wanted to start a post recently commenting on how injuries have been a full on blessing in disguise for this club. Players are getting so much quality ice time while being mentored by excellent pros like the Sedins, Burr and Honey Badger. Back to the OP though, word up this management group has had my support without exception on every move so far. I supported moving Kass    ( bad and possibly contagious virus), Eddie Lack (never was a big fan of his style and never convinced he had number one potential but we'll see), keeping the kids around, Sven, Vey (ok not sure but looking real good of late) and the list goes on and on. Benning wants professionally minded, mature athletes that are here to play hockey and work hard. He also wants them within a certain age bracket moving forward. He's also closely involved with development in Utica and genuinely cares about that team. 

Loving this season. It feels like a turning point and the die-hards need it.

Kudos and great post by the way.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

But isn't WD out of his depth? Hahaha

Check back and read the OPs post in that thread. It's good for a laugh.

Pretty bang on I'd say. Was just saying this to a friend the other day

I fully agree. But recent years? A quarter century is not "recent years".

The Quinn Country Club
The Burke Country Club
The Nonis Country Club
The Gillis Country Club

They all eventually turn out to be the same unless the GM is constantly on the ball, or he gets fired. So far Benning is running the show like Tallon and Bowman. That's the way he'll keep his job and also keep the Country Club culture out of town.

Archived