The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Message Management is Sending to it's Players

ThaManbeast

Just now, jmahyoung said:

Website says Tanev's birthday is 20 Dec 1989. K that's enough of splitting hairs for me B).

Lets see. I'm a Hammer fan. Lets keep him on a contract that makes sense.

Then there are plenty to sell off!  Let's get busy JB!  It's garage sale time!:emot-parrot:

I like our management team. I haven't been completely on board with coaching this year. I've been quite frustrated at times but we are still in the playoff hunt and have made a concerted effort to get younger.

Benning - He's been Real Good for us

Linden- He's been Real Good For Us.

Willie - He's Been Good and it could still be Real good.

It's a process. A Real Good process.

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

I fully agree. But recent years? A quarter century is not "recent years".

The Quinn Country Club
The Burke Country Club
The Nonis Country Club
The Gillis Country Club

They all eventually turn out to be the same unless the GM is constantly on the ball, or he gets fired. So far Benning is running the show like Tallon and Bowman. That's the way he'll keep his job and also keep the Country Club culture out of town.

This.

14 hours ago, ThaManbeast said:

Does anyone else here agree that it's a really nice breath of fresh air having Benning, Linden, & Co. running the Canucks organization? This is the first time I can remember a management group being this transparent with the fans. From the Higgins trade availability to the thoughts and opinions of players and prospects when asked in interviews. But, what my favourite quality of the current regime is the message that they've recently been sending to the players of the team. Beginning with the Chris Higgins demotion to Utica. This shows the veterans of the squad that they can no longer be complacent and keep their jobs with the big club. Which has been the case in recent years. Perform or you're out. And secondly, is the Mike Zalewski contract offer and call up. This one is big because it shows the entire organization that it doesn't matter who you are, AHL contract or seasoned veteran, if you play hard, you'll get a shot. Thoughts on the job Benning and Linden have done so far?

Have loved it from the beginning. The Canucks Army crowd doesn't like Benning's style but he knows how to develop young talent and win in the NHL. I definitely like the teams direction and the quality depth it is developing. In two or three years, the team will have a tonne of NHL caliber talent.

4 hours ago, Patchoball Cannons said:

Don't forget the close to 16 Mill in Cap space that has been freed up for one of the best free agent pools in years this offseason. If we can land a big free agent or two, this team could be very different for next year.  As the plan put in place by the current brain trust of this organization plays out, it's looking better and better. I trust that other wrinkles will unfold over the next offseason that will leave me just as pleasantly surprised. 

Good point. The Canucks will have a lot of cap space to work with this summer. However, the cap is unlikely to go up much if at all and the Canucks will have to start thinking about keeping cap room for RFAs. They will need to re-sign Baertschi this summer (and Etem, Vey, and Pedan) and Bo next summer. I agree that none of the RFAs will need really big money, but its not as if the Canucks can spend 16 million of a couple of high end UFAs. But I agree they could reasonably spend 8 to 10 million and bring in a couple of high end free agents. Personally, however, I think the best thing they could do with some of the money is to re-sign Hammer maybe 3.5 or  4 million and then bring in one high-end UFA.

With really good luck maybe the Canucks can contend for a Cup in the next year or two, but it is normally very hard to use the UFA market to bring in franchise-type players.

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

As is Grenier, Shinkaruk, and all those 1-game callups (excepting Zalewski, who is still active).

Gaunce is still on the Comet's roster

My point was his name has been on the roster for a couple of months since he was called up/sent down.

53 minutes ago, HenButton said:

My point was his name has been on the roster for a couple of months since he was called up/sent down.

I'm not sure for certain, but i think they take off the players that have been inactive for 20 games - something like that.

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Good point. The Canucks will have a lot of cap space to work with this summer. However, the cap is unlikely to go up much if at all and the Canucks will have to start thinking about keeping cap room for RFAs. They will need to re-sign Baertschi this summer (and Etem, Vey, and Pedan) and Bo next summer. I agree that none of the RFAs will need really big money, but its not as if the Canucks can spend 16 million of a couple of high end UFAs. But I agree they could reasonably spend 8 to 10 million and bring in a couple of high end free agents. Personally, however, I think the best thing they could do with some of the money is to re-sign Hammer maybe 3.5 or  4 million and then bring in one high-end UFA.

With really good luck maybe the Canucks can contend for a Cup in the next year or two, but it is normally very hard to use the UFA market to bring in franchise-type players.

In the past, the team has always been near the cap at free agency and would bring in low end talent to create depth.  This year and the upcoming years will be interesting as they will have 16m(Vrbata, Prust, Hamhuis,Weber, Bartowski), 12.5m(Higgins, Miller, Burrows) and 20m(Sedins, Sbisa,Hansen).  Of course, the amounts will depend on which of these UFAs are re-signed and for how much and how long.  They will also have to deal with rfa contracts as they come up, as well as any new players acquired in trade.

I think the real difference is that they will be able to add a higher level of talent in UFAs that are able to fill holes on the team. Players that can significantly improve the team. We haven't seen this happen in an awful long time.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think it's all about saving money for Aquaman.  He's too worried the fans will Not support a rebuild.  I think he's completely wrong.  The fans want to see the team rebuild.  We want to see young top five picks, with elite talent, in our line up.  I actually find their arrogance, and assumptive attitude about our fan base insulting.  

I agree, Benning might actually be disappointed that we are not losing games we should've lost, and that he's also hoping for top 5 pick. 

We'll always be a pretender, a stepping stone every in the playoffs, if we don't let an actual rebuild does its work.

so far so good. They are giving the young players a chance to succeed. After a tough first half of season you start seeing them become better players. Bertschi, Bo, McCann, Hutton, Marky, Vey. Now with Zeleski and Etem in the line up. they will be a competitive team in a yr or two, with good off season tweaks and trades.

10 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

Blunt, I'm really enjoying watching the games these days. Every night we have youth out there striving to prove they belong, with all the attributes of energy, hunger and enthusiasm that go with it. Even in tougher environs, the kids are doing plenty of good things, but most of all they're showing calm, playing in dirty areas and skating well. On top of that, Markstrom is beginning to look like he might be a guy who can be a good starter at some point. Benning & Co stuck with him, showed faith, and now he's coming through for them. A fine-looking bit of planning, that.

I'll take a year like this, even missing the playoffs as opposed to that wool-over-the-eyes season last year of over 100 points on the backs of a bunch of old farts who put their feet up once the playoffs started. This year is more real. It means something.

Well said. Benning said last year that he was giving the vets one last chance, and he stuck to it. Higgins is gone, Bieksa's gone, Prust is on his way, and those are just the first moves. The kids play hard every night, and it's so fun to watch, especially after uninspired play from 2012-15. We're not a good team, but I am so happy watching the kids this year. They're giving us something to be excited about. 

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

When was the last time there was a player of Stamkos' caliber entering free agency at  25? If we can land him it changes everything.

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

In the past, the team has always been near the cap at free agency and would bring in low end talent to create depth.  This year and the upcoming years will be interesting as they will have 16m(Vrbata, Prust, Hamhuis,Weber, Bartowski), 12.5m(Higgins, Miller, Burrows) and 20m(Sedins, Sbisa,Hansen).  Of course, the amounts will depend on which of these UFAs are re-signed and for how much and how long.  They will also have to deal with rfa contracts as they come up, as well as any new players acquired in trade.

I think the real difference is that they will be able to add a higher level of talent in UFAs that are able to fill holes on the team. Players that can significantly improve the team. We haven't seen this happen in an awful long time.

Good analysis. The Canucks will have more cap room over the next 3 years than we are used to. So maybe JB can add something significant to the team. But team-building through the UFA market is still tough. You can get good complementary players, but it is hard to get franchise-type players. I always hoped the Canucks would exploit the chance to get B.C. guys who wanted to come back, but the only significant UFA in that category I can think of is Hammer.

15 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I've said many times on here, especially a couple seasons ago, this organization has to start doing things differently if they want to succeed. They need to make unconventional moves and break from the norm. The conventional, status-quo approach hasn't produced a cup, so it only makes logical sense to do the opposite of what's expected or perceived as the norm.

To that point, JB and TL have become more transparent, they're making bold moves to usher in youth, they're giving prospects real opportunities, they're changing the work ethic/culture, creating depth and development, and more. Most of all, they're creating change, which is something past regimes were afraid to embrace.

Refreshing? Abso-freakin-lutely!!!

Really Dr.  What they tell us is one thing but what they do is more important.  At no point have I felt that I have been lied to by this lot.

Maybe what they should start doing that is different is sticking to their damn plan and not floating along with public opinion.  That would make me feel much better actually.

53 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Really Dr.  What they tell us is one thing but what they do is more important.  At no point have I felt that I have been lied to by this lot.

Maybe what they should start doing that is different is sticking to their damn plan and not floating along with public opinion.  That would make me feel much better actually.

Your post is extremely bizarre. I have no idea what position you stand with management because the two paragraphs are contradictory.

In the quest for the cup, there is no room for mediocrity or incompetence. They will not be tolerated any longer. You will be required to maintain a high level of performance at all times, or you're out. Slackers and underachievers will have no place on this team and will be promptly shown the door. Plain and simple. I don't have patience for any more s**t.  That is my message to the players on behalf of the management. lol 

Archived