The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bill Gates: US 'should take more' refugees

TOMapleLaughs

2 hours ago, Kragar said:

As long as the education is useful, yep.  I'm generally not in favor of free post secondary.  To have it free, there would need to be strict controls as to who gets it.  Those who have worked and gotten good grades in high school, coupled with those taking courses that will lead to jobs in demand (or expected to be in demand).  Also, the education has to continue to be earned... poor grades in university means you need to start paying their own way, or find something more suitable their skill set.  The last thing we need is government funding to put a bunch of kids through school to learn something that doesn't have much foreseeable benefit, and take up space from someone more deserving of the education.

We already have entrance requirements for university.  We also already have a system where if you fail too many classes you get put on probation or asked to leave.  Undoubtedly there will be some who take advantage of the system, but I think any potential wasted educations will be outweighed by the many people that will receive a useful education that they otherwise would not have got, allowing them to contribute more to society.

Don't forget, students have a vested interest in taking classes that will get them jobs (not that finding a job is the only objective of an education) - most people want good careers, they want to make money,

1 hour ago, etsen3 said:

We already have entrance requirements for university.  We also already have a system where if you fail too many classes you get put on probation or asked to leave.  Undoubtedly there will be some who take advantage of the system, but I think any potential wasted educations will be outweighed by the many people that will receive a useful education that they otherwise would not have got, allowing them to contribute more to society.

Don't forget, students have a vested interest in taking classes that will get them jobs (not that finding a job is the only objective of an education) - most people want good careers, they want to make money,

As long as there is control on what is given for free, I can agree with the bulk of your first paragraph.  The last part depends on the numbers of wasted vs useful, of course, but it's too hypothetical at this point hung up on.

I'm not as sure about your second paragraph.  It is definitely true for many students, but a good number of the rest are going because they feel they are supposed to go, or they don't want (or can't get) a job, or it's a good excuse to coast for a while until they figure out what they want to do.  If access is somehow prioritized for those with the drive to succeed and make good careers, that helps for sure.  It drove me crazy to see some people waste so much time in university or college, wasting that opportunity and space for someone who was more deserving.

I tried to get information about what fields of study people are taking up there, but StatsCan let me down again (data from 2007... really???).  There are bits and pieces on various sites, but it was sad to see STEM courses under-represented.  Maybe that suits the Canadian job market well enough, but I'm not sure it's a good direction, especially since it appears that STEM students are proportionately in decline.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/81-599-x/2009003/c-g/c-g3-eng.htm

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/81-582-x/2009002/tbl/d.2.8.2-eng.htm

3 hours ago, Kragar said:

I tried to get information about what fields of study people are taking up there, but StatsCan let me down again (data from 2007... really???). 

You can thank the conservative (Harper ) government for that. 

But as for the rest, yeah, that's what a lack of federal oversight gets you. 

Archived