The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Saskatchewan school in lockdown after shooting.

taxi

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Yup.  Like the parent of the murdered Quebec girl said...a gun didn't kill his girl, a deranged nut did. 

If this kid had stolen his parents car or butcher knife, built a bomb or used a baseball bat and used it to kill others, it is still the same thing...murder. Fact is, in Canada a minority of murders actually involve firearms.  Humans are creative when it comes to killing others.

Regardless of the weapon/method used, this is a tragedy and I feel for those involved/affected. What is it that makes our kids targets for all these nutters?

I don't know the stat, but there are too many of those sociopath types out there.  Without children we have no future, so I think they are our most valuable resource.  I wish there was an effective way to guard them from the nutters.  Maybe we could start by locking up, for life, anyone who hurts kids?  

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Having driving through La Loche, no offense but the community is a complete dump.  It's basically the last stop of civilization in northern Sask, it's a welfare town and not really surprising,  It has one of the highest suicide rates in western canada.

Prayers to the family as they go through a devastating situation

Agreed.  Like the vast majority of violent crime, this is a story of serious socioeconomic issues.

My family comes from northern Sask, very close to La Loche so I've been many time.  The difference between that place and nearby towns is extremely dramatic.  It's like when you hear about the Highway of Tears then go to Prince Rupert.  All you can say is "Yep, seems about right."

21 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Agreed.  Like the vast majority of violent crime, this is a story of serious socioeconomic issues.

My family comes from northern Sask, very close to La Loche so I've been many time.  The difference between that place and nearby towns is extremely dramatic.  It's like when you hear about the Highway of Tears then go to Prince Rupert.  All you can say is "Yep, seems about right."

typing these words right now from p.r. there was only two from here all the way to p.g. the fist being in 94 still goes unexplained the second here was sept 05 and was a drug related incident.most people figure ,still under investigation. rumours abound that it may have been a truck driver . rupert being a port town having a societal range from extremely wealthy to destitute and is like any other small city. rupert with its 2 unexplained cases is only referanced as a starting point to all of the other unexplained cases and NOT to be confused with your uneducated guess ,making ppl think they all happened here.

This hits me.. I actually live there although not there at the moment. 1 of the kids in serious condition is my sons grandmas great nephew. The shooter is my sons aunts fiance's nephew.. 2 of the dead from what I've heard were his brothers.. Although the community does have its problems.. the people I have talked to and interacted with have all been kind to me.. Even the drug dealers were nice when I turned them down when they've tried to sell me stuff walking back from the store. Sad day for the community

9 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

a lot of the small northern towns theres only 1,2 police to cover a large area, some small places have stationed guys but are on duty/ on call meaning their at home responding from there, go figure eh?

10 minutes ago, chon derry said:

a lot of the small northern towns theres only 1,2 police to cover a large area, some small places have stationed guys but are on duty/ on call meaning their at home responding from there, go figure eh?

And thank goodness La Loche is not one of those communities that only have 1-2.. They dont have a huge force.. but I'd say there are probably  3-4 driving around with 2 officers each.. some at the station some off duty.. Plus more officers up at the reserve.

My main concern in the community is the response of the volunteer fire department.. Had some kids light an abandoned house right next to where I live on fire.. The fire station is just over a football fields distance away.. took them a half hour to respond.. Meanwhile the house was 10 feet from ours.. thankfully the wind was blowing away.

2 minutes ago, lx Birdie xl said:

And thank goodness La Loche is not one of those communities that only have 1-2.. They dont have a huge force.. but I'd say there are probably  3-4 driving around with 2 officers each.. some at the station some off duty.. Plus more officers up at the reserve.

watching it right now, this is a bad one. drug related i,m only assuming. 

21 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Yeah.  Same where I live.  Even if the cops are on duty, they often can't deal with issues until a crime is committed.  By then it's a little late for the victims. 

6 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Yeah.  Same where I live.  Even if the cops are on duty, they often can't deal with issues until a crime is committed.  By then it's a little late for the victims. 

to get back to my earlier comments -re hwy of tears thing starting in p.r throughout every small town all the way to vanc. there,s societal issues that are,nt being dealt with, surrey being the prime example but in a smaller scale,every where .

4 minutes ago, chon derry said:

to get back to my earlier comments -re hwy of tears thing starting in p.r throughout every small town all the way to vanc. there,s societal issues that are,nt being dealt with, surrey being the prime example but in a smaller scale,every where .

Surrey is a place where shootings, knifings, and all sorts of really horrific crimes happen so frequently people are mostly desensitized to it.  It's sad really that people can behave so much like rats.  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

The person shooting the gun bears responsibility.  Do we lock our kitchen knives too?  People need to be responsible for their own actions, and stop redirecting blame.  

Okay, this is just a idiotic statement. Stabbing someone takes a lot more guts than shooting them. Stabbing someone you feel them die. Shooting someone, like charles manson said, is just pointing a gun at someone pulling the trigger and then they're gone.

Archived